Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: You first, coach.

Art

The job of a head football coach is to make decisions that put his team in the best position to win football games. We won. Nuff said. Right now, the Redskins are a rumbling, stumbling, fumbling team that may come together later in the season. We need victories now anyway we can get them so, when/if that happens, we'll be in a position to make a run at the playoffs. 4 and 4 looks pretty good to me right now for a mid season record.

Do you think there was 15 percent chance of the Skins offense screwing up two running plays?

Not necessarily, but what is the percentage increase in making a field goal for gaining a few more yards? Is it 15 percent? I doubt it. Probably a much smaller percentage.

Also, some of the failure conditions can be mitigated by having extra downs. For example, if there is a bad snap for some reason

Jason

I quoted these out of all of the responses because they stated what I feel.

Had we NOT kicked.......had there been mental mistakes, silly mistakes, or ref mistakes..........this same article very well could have stated "why didnt we trust our kicker>'

For me, this article is damned if you do......damned if you dont.

I was a few rows from the field.....watching intently the faces of our guys.

They wanted the win.

They wanted the stated me of 1-0.

They wanted it over.

As they ran off the field and touched all of our outstretched hands, with those smiles........and the laughter.......I knew that decision was just fine with them.

I'm in this group as well, I thought the kick was gutzy. Also, I think Gibbs is taken too literal at his press conference's. Just because he was cautious about a bad call or a mistake happening on another play doesn't mean he's coaching scared.

It's not an older guy/younger guy thing.

It's a "best football decision" thing.

Question: If Gibbs had called for the field goal from 50+ out and Suisham had made it' date=' would that have been a good decision? Or a crazy decision that he got lucky with?[/quote']

If it's a "best football decision" thing, Gibbs v1.0 would never have kicked a 40 yard FG on first down. He'd have tried to get it closer. He'd have tried to ram it down their throat and while the other team was busy trying to stuff the run, he'd throw a play action to Monk for yet another first down. THAT was Gibbs, the HOF coach.

You may possibly be right that it's not an older fan/younger fan thing but if you remember the old Gibbs very well instead of the past 14 years. you'll agree with me that it was easy to get spoiled after watching that vs. watching this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy we won and I'm thrilled for Suisham that he had the confidence to nail an almost 40 yard kick right down the middle for his first game winner. I would just like to see Gibbs make a statement before kicking the game winner. That's nothing more than a personal opinion but it would likely give me as much confidence in this team as some of you obviously already seem to have.

Sorry for not understanding' date=' but how is going for the WIN, in overtime, on first down at about the 20, with a not-so-experienced kicker "coaching scared"?[/quote']

Because our running game was stuffing it down the Dolphins throat, and a 40 yard field goal in overtime isn't exactly a "gimmie" kick.I would like to have gotten a little closer to go for a game winning click. Do you understand now? Like I said I'm happy that we won but I do believe in the Gibbs II era that Gibbs coaches scared.

WOW! I have read every single post in this thread, something I usually don't do on one this size and while Art's article seems almost the antithesis of Brother Om, I welcome it because it really has brought about some great discussion.

I'm obviously an old fart who still pines for the days when we were capable of making a statement and shoving it down the bad guy's throat to seal the deal in a hard fought victory. Perhaps I'm not being realisitic in this new parity-driven NFL. Perhaps Shaun Suisham IS the second coming of Adam Vinatieri. Perhaps our players agreed with Gibbs that it was best to just get the first game under your belt and then go worry about next Monday Night. Perhaps......

I, for one, just hope and pray that we all get a chance to look back on this article at the end of the season and laugh, knowing this first game was just a stepping stone to a highly successful season. Not that he would but I hope Art doesn't get the chance, down the road, to say this decision was the catalyst for what the season and/or Gibbs has become. Here's to having a good laugh at season's end. :cheers:

Way to stir up a hornet's nest, Art! :D

I think Gibbs and crew showed a lot of confidence to the whole team in that OT drive. The easy one is the kicker, here you go kid I have faith you will nail it. The O-line im sure was happy to know they can be counted on to run the ball on 3rd and 5 in a crunch situation and get a first down. Defense, if he misses this kick I have confidence you will get the ball back. Earlier in the drive Jason Campbell called a time out and threw a perfect pass in face of an all out blitz. I know these are extrapolations but so was the OP.

At the time I was a bit preplexed as to why he chose to do it but anyway you look at it we won the game.

I'm glad he made the decision - we won. What would the dissenters have said had he instead given the ball to betts and he had once again fumbled in a key situation?

Not only did the decision get us a W, but it gave our kicker a HUGE boost of confidence. A consistent, confident kicker is something we haven't had in a really long time...

The difference between you, ART, and me, is that when I have written things in the past that were critical of the Redskins coaching decisions or I asked questions about "WHY", I always get the standard answers "How many Superbowl rings do YOU have?" or my favorite response " why don't you leave TROLL".

It's different when you are a moderator or site administrator. You can say anything you want and then if you get criticized you can ban someone. I can't even start threads anymore and I still don't even know why. This site is excellent for Redskins fans who toll the line and think like Stepford fans but for a true fan of 40 years who occasionally thinks independently.....we may as well be a punching bag.

If it's a "best football decision" thing, Gibbs v1.0 would never have kicked a 40 yard FG on first down. He'd have tried to get it closer. He'd have tried to ram it down their throat and while the other team was busy trying to stuff the run, he'd throw a play action to Monk for yet another first down. THAT was Gibbs, the HOF coach.

Actually, it would be interesting to analyze those Gibbs teams to see what Gibbs actually did do in overtime. Of course we know that Gibbs liked to run it down teams' throats, but overtime is usually different because of its sudden death nature. As soon as you score, it is over.

Getting back to Art's point, I think at the base of it is his own frustration with the offense and the inconsistency of it. He wants this offense to be dominant, and to see it go in fits and starts yet again seems to be very frustrating for him, as it is for most of us.

I think he was finally seeing what he wanted to see in OT, then felt that it was all taken away from him when Gibbs decided to go for a field goal. Art wanted a "statement" and felt he didn't get it. I can understand that.

But, in the end, a win is far more important than a "statement", especially for a team that only won 5 games last year. If we lose the game, the thoughts of "here we go again" start creeping into people's brain, including the players. Considering we have a tough road division game next week, going into that with a loss would really be a handicap for this team, that needs to have all the good news it can get.

I think Boswell actually had a nice, balanced column about the game on Sunday. It is funny, but he also uses the phrase "style points". Honest, I didn't read his column before using it myself.

Last season, Washington followed its opening loss with a defeat at Dallas. The Redskins never got their heads above .500 all season. Now, due to this one homely win, the world looks bright to the Redskins. Instead of traveling to Philadelphia next, worrying about the same 0-2 start that blighted last season, they'll have a shot at the Eagles, followed by games at home against the Giants and Lions, with a bye in between. See how 1-0 gives birth to thoughts of 3-1 or 4-0, just as 0-1 brings images of 0-3?

"The win is huge," tight end Chris Cooley said. "Season openers set a big standard for the team."

"It was critical to win the first game. Doesn't matter how," Ladell Betts said. "At the end of the season, nobody cares."

It doesn't sound to me like the psyche of the offense was damaged any by Gibbs going for the field goal.

Jason

Who says Redskins.com is all peaches and cream :).

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=29101

ExtremeSkins Fan View: You First, Coach

By Arthur Mills

ExtremeSkins.com

September 11, 2007

Okay, we won, so I bet you're expecting my happy dance.

Sorry, but, I can't give it to you. Not yet. Not now. I've spent the months after our dismal, largely uncompetitive 5-11 season trying to figure out how to trust a team that seemed to betray themselves and the rest of us a year ago......

First let me start off by saying that I love Joe Gibbs as a coach but I have to agree with you 100%. I was sitting in disbelief as the FG unit trotted onto the field on first down.

I was telling my wife even as the ball sailed through the uprighs that I disagreed with that coaching decision. I was thinking more on the lines that he misses that kick because a 39 yard FG is not a chip shot and then the Dolphins drive the length of the Field and win the game.

You bring up a very good point with the doubt factor and while happy to win that game the decision to kick at that point in time troubled me.

Good coaches follow their gut. Its what owners pay them for.

Anyone can follow the odds to make decisions.

Game time decisions is what separates the successful coaches from the not so successful. In this case, he made a good decision.

The other part to the decision making process is where a coach feels the mental state of his team is at when he decides when to take chances. I would suspect that this game meant enough to coach that he felt the need to secure the win as soon as he felt comfortable with the game situation. 4th down is a no brainer, but once he got a first and was in FG range, then he deemed it necessary to put an end to the game instead of taking a chance of having a rookie or a tired LT making a holding call trying to be physical and gain an extra yard.

There is a alot to be said with putting your players in a position to succeed. In this case, Coach Gibbs felt that that was the correct time to secure the win.

FOR INSTANCE...

if I could start a new thread..it would go something like this:

"Are you worried about a Redskins defense that allows a game tying drive by a team that doesn't have a receiver named T.O. or Chad Johnson OR a running back named L.T. or Stephen Jackson?

OR "How come the Redskins take 2 years apparently to understand their 700 page playbook but the QB they let go(Trent Green) can come to a team and get their playbook down in 2 months and direct a game tying score"

The difference between you, ART, and me, is that when I have written things in the past that were critical of the Redskins coaching decisions or I asked questions about "WHY", I always get the standard answers "How many Superbowl rings do YOU have?" or my favorite response " why don't you leave TROLL".

It's different when you are a moderator or site administrator. You can say anything you want and then if you get criticized you can ban someone. I can't even start threads anymore and I still don't even know why. This site is excellent for Redskins fans who toll the line and think like Stepford fans but for a true fan of 40 years who occasionally thinks independently.....we may as well be a punching bag.

Actually, the difference is I am able to express worry or questions or doubt without appearing to hate the franchise I'm talking about, and you're not. You disgust people because of HOW you say what you say, not because of WHAT you say. Nothing about your negative views seems like you enjoy the team you say you like typically and thus, people find you to be boring.

It is required, therefore, that you attempt to create a double standard where you are just an independent thinker being bashed by "homers" while you "keep it real". This site is excellent for Redskins fans who are Redskins fans, regardless of their views. It's not so good for people like you who couldn't be picked out of a lineup as a fan and don't understand why you and I are different.

I'm glad he made the decision - we won. What would the dissenters have said had he instead given the ball to betts and he had once again fumbled in a key situation?

Not only did the decision get us a W, but it gave our kicker a HUGE boost of confidence. A consistent, confident kicker is something we haven't had in a really long time...

Others have said this repeatedly...the decision cannot be judged on the results. It was a bad decision, period.

You cannot argue logically that it was the right decision because it worked out well.

FOR INSTANCE...

if I could start a new thread..it would go something like this:

"Are you worried about a Redskins defense that allows a game tying drive by a team that doesn't have a receiver named T.O. or Chad Johnson OR a running back named L.T. or Stephen Jackson?

OR "How come the Redskins take 2 years apparently to understand their 700 page playbook but the QB they let go(Trent Green) can come to a team and get their playbook down in 2 months and direct a game tying score"

Both of those are silly statements and reflect your problem. Here are actual statements that further confirm them.

If Rev.Jim Jones was running the Redskins, some of you homers would not only be drinking the koolaide, but would attack in a vicious way anyone who dares to criticize another member who complained about the taste.

Here is the road to recovery: start discussing the Redskins, not defending them. Talk to people not AT them.....and....more important......

Instead of wanting everyone to think like you.....get a life.

This in one of the many threads you've used "homers" to describe fans.

Apparetnly once you run a kickoff back, it doesn't matter to Gibbs or Danny Smith if you average for the next few years. They will always have that 1 single run in the back of their minds. The Patriots year after year finish HIGHER than the Skins and yet the Skins pass by all these great kick returners to maintain the status quo. They have been maintaining the status quo for about 15 years now, which is why they have so many top 10 draft picks in their secondary.

Here where you drip with disdain and show no actual thought that you WANT the team to do well because you love the agony.

Here come the HOMERS again. Mad at the world if the Skins are favored to win every game during our undefeated season. Wake up people! The Skins aren't going undefeated, they won't be favored in every game,

Your lead to fans in a thread very little was said to merit such a Cowboy fan retort. Your problem is how you say what you say. Not what you say. And you're too dumb to grasp that, making you uninteresting. Never compare us again. In fact, you'd do well never to speak again.

Others have said this repeatedly...the decision cannot be judged on the results. It was a bad decision, period.

You cannot argue logically that it was the right decision because it worked out well.

Why was it a bad decision? That's what I'm scratching my head about. If you are very confident that your guy can make a 40 yard field goal, what is the point in getting closer? The only reason why you'd do that is if you aren't as confident that he can make that kick.

Art takes this as a no-confidence vote in his offense, but I take it as confidence in his field goal kicker. The team got into FG range, and Gibbs decided not to screw around and take the points for the win. I can't see that as being a bad decision.

Jason

Blondie,

No, the same article could not have been written. Not by a sane person. True, JLC would have written an expose where he'd have had a couple people secretly whisper to him that Suisham isn't an NFL kicker and Gibbs can't trust him so he has to make it as easy as possible for him. But, the decision to proceed that drive isn't one that's questioned because it's the normal, standard, right decision.

And, not for the first time in this thread, I'll say, the what if games don't work for me, but if you want to play the what if game, then you have to "what if" Suisham missed the kick. You know the answer as to which what if would have been worse. Thus you know why this isn't a damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's a dammit, why'd you do that.

You know, I normally agree with you Art. Even when it takes a while for me to do so.....

Draft Branch!!111

However your post, as I read it, is based on 'this is the normal way' and what ifs.

You know we don't always do things the way other teams do. We build a D from the back in as an example. Another example is Gibbs calling a FG on Sunday then admitting he was worried about bad calls etc.

I can see your point on what we should have done, the same as most other teams would have in that situation, and I would have continued to run it same as you. What I can't agree with is the rest of the article. It may be correct it may not. Without a source to back it up it is a collection of speculative what ifs as viewed from your fan perspective.

The point we are at now is it worked as far as winning the game. That's a fact.

Did it show that Coach didn't trust the officials? Maybe.

Did it hurt our team by showing a perceived lack of confidence in the players that will demotivate them down the road? Maybe.

Did it send a message to our team that they need to step up and not drop balls; give away penalties etc and actually play like they can consistently to finish drives by scoring during the regular game, and not leave it to the STs unit? Maybe.

Did it show our Offense they need to do better to earn the trust of Coach, and if so will the reaction be good or bad? Maybe and we don't know.

Coach cannot be critisized for calling a play based on being scared of a mistake without being acknowledged for having confidence in his kicker and in his own judgement because he will have known for sure the safe route was to do what everyone else does, regardless of what he thought was our best option to win that particular game and get off the field. Sure we may have won if he ran it. We may have sent a positive statement.

What we did was win. For now I'll leave it up to the players to get their game together and send a statement of their own during regular playing time.

Good coaches follow their gut. Its what owners pay them for. Anyone can follow the odds to make decisions.

Bellichek was an Economics major at Wesleyan. The Patriots are known for their heavy reliance on statistical data in their decision making and game planning. They are also known for winning.

Why was it a bad decision? That's what I'm scratching my head about. If you are very confident that your guy can make a 40 yard field goal, what is the point in getting closer? The only reason why you'd do that is if you aren't as confident that he can make that kick.

I take it Gibbs only watches his own games.

On the very first play following Brien's first miss, Roethlisberger threw the ball into the arms of David Barrett. The Jets worked down the clock to six seconds when Santana Moss called a timeout two ticks too early — Herman Edwards couldn't afford to kick the ball to Antwaan Randle El, assuming Brien nailed his redemptive boot.

Edwards ordered Pennington to take a knee to bleed the clock to four seconds, turning a 42-yard attempt into a 43-yard attempt in the process and leaving Brien on the left hash. The kicker took his place on the field. The Jets had entered the playoffs through the back door, and now they were prepared to barge through the front door of Heinz Field on the way to New England or Indianapolis.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2005-01-15-brien_x.htm

I knew that Herm Edwards blew a game in a similar manner once. I was too tired to find the game story last night.

I think this should be very high on every coach's list of daily reminders: "If you are ever doing something in a game that reminds people of a Herm Edwards' tactic...stop!"

(By the way...Moss...Randle El...eventually, everyone plays for the Skins!)

Bellichek was an Economics major at Wesleyan. The Patriots are known for their heavy reliance on statistical data in their decision making and game planning. They are also known for winning.

And if JC starts playing like Brady we'll play and beat them in the SB.

Well, we've actually pulled off being completely negative about our team after a win. Congratulations for seeing the negative in a positive. Perhaps our offensive line and CP won't play as hard now due to Gibbs not having confidence in them not having a costly turnover or penalty to end the game as it can for 31 other teams at any time, case and point the Ravens. Gibbs made a gutsy call, and with it resulting in a win, I'm sure the players aren't too mad about it. We all know that anything can happen in the NFL, a fumble, a hold, a bad call, it happens every single week. To second guess something after it was proven successful is foolish IMO.

Archived