Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: You first, coach.

Art

I've seen many teams make a big play down the field and immediately line up for the field goal. Many times.

I don't see a problem here. After a long, tough game, Gibbs decides to take the points. While it isn't sexy in some people's eyes, it was a good move and it got us the win.

Jason

That's the thing, though. We're not looking for sexy, we're looking for an identity. Gibbs has always wanted to be a smashmouth, run-the-ball team. And he had a chance to cement that idea to the players.

Instead, he gave up on them.

You can play to win, or you can play not to lose.

Why not give our team something to be REALLY proud of?

You can play to win, or you can play not to lose.

QUOTE]

Exactly. That's what I got from the whole thing.

Not sure what that guy Jason is talking about. You rarely see that unless time is running out or its 4th down. Most teams want to get as close as possible before attempting the kick regardless of the skill of the kicker you have under contract.

That's the thing, though. We're not looking for sexy, we're looking for an identity. Gibbs has always wanted to be a smashmouth, run-the-ball team. And he had a chance to cement that idea to the players.

I think running it 40 times pretty much cements that. I doubt a couple more runs would have changed much.

Jason

Blondie,

No, the same article could not have been written. Not by a sane person. True, JLC would have written an expose where he'd have had a couple people secretly whisper to him that Suisham isn't an NFL kicker and Gibbs can't trust him so he has to make it as easy as possible for him. But, the decision to proceed that drive isn't one that's questioned because it's the normal, standard, right decision.

And, not for the first time in this thread, I'll say, the what if games don't work for me, but if you want to play the what if game, then you have to "what if" Suisham missed the kick. You know the answer as to which what if would have been worse. Thus you know why this isn't a damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's a dammit, why'd you do that.

I have read this several times.

Still not impressed with your thinking.

Reading your nonsense, you would think the Redskins lost the game 37-0. :rolleyes:

Joe Gibbs, Greg Williams and every other coach on this staff is coaching scared. Scared to lose to a probable 6 win AFC team, on your home field, on opening day, when you have them on the ropes. What will they write in the Post, what will ESPN say?

Call it what you like, be a homer, I call it like I see it, right or wrong, but all of these issues will be discussed at one time or another before this season is over, you can bank on that.

37-0, where did you get that number? If we play and coach like we did last Sunday, this Monday, you might see something similar.

Fellows..what are we doing bickering about what Gibbs did or didn't do. I'm a true homer and we WON the game. Let's be happy for the positive start. Let's remember this is Gibbs, he knows what he's doing. So kick the field goal, get the win and get the players off the field, no one gets hurt, and an excited locker room. It's a positive thing that happened on Sunday. We have a kicker, oh it's been a long time. That alone was a huge relief for myself. How many games last year did we lose, because we couldn't make the kick through out the game. I'll take it and most important the player's who bust their A** are extremely happy and motivated. So let it go and let's crush philly! Live for the future not the past!:eaglesuck

Fellows..what are we doing bickering about what Gibbs did or didn't do. I'm a true homer and we WON the game. Let's be happy for the positive start. Let's remember this is Gibbs, he knows what he's doing. So kick the field goal, get the win and get the players off the field, no one gets hurt, and an excited locker room. It's a positive thing that happened on Sunday. We have a kicker, oh it's been a long time. That alone was a huge relief for myself. How many games last year did we lose, because we couldn't make the kick through out the game. I'll take it and most important the player's who bust their A** are extremely happy and motivated. So let it go and let's crush philly! Live for the future not the past!:eaglesuck

I couldn't agree with you more. I know I have never been as hot as it was Sunday and I can't imagine how hot it must have been on the field. Kick the field goal and get off the field.

That's where you're just wrong. When the game is being won, that's when you establish your identity.

Our identity is apparently kicking, not running.

Yeah, we probably should 'a punched it in for the TD.

Yeah, it would have made everyone happy including the players.

Yeah, it would have been nice to cram it down their throats after what they did to us in the first half, goin' for that TD instead of the FG n' stuff.

Our identity?

Take away Cooley and Moss, you get El.

Shake up a jittery Campbell early, you get a settled gamer late.

Take away Portis, you get Betts and Sellers

Take away Springs.... eh.... you get a chance.

Keep the game close where a FG will tie or win, better keep us outside the 50yd range because we're going to score.

That's enough identity for this "Homer" after one game.

For now. :D

No , we needed a win in the worst way and now you are second guessing how we got it...cmon, makes me think of the quote by Jack Nicholson in the movie A Few Good Men when discussing how he protects our way of life and some suit judges him on how he delivers it! Id rather you just say thank you and be on your way! Skins 16 other team 13...He got the job done , period!

Goaldie and a few others certainly know exactly where I'm coming from. The only person I'm surprised by in this thread is Utah who, himself, is a coach, and I thought he'd be among the first to know what I was coming from. Otherwise, it's been a good discussion. Some of you have gone well beyond the mean though in this. Jason, I respect a lot of what you say on this board, but, that you and Cali (same for you Cali) don't immediately know how strange that call was rings as a lie or simply living in a hole.

We won 16-13. We were LIKELY, once that drive developed, to win 16-13. Not all 16-13 scores are the same. One feels like your coach is scared to death of your team. The other feels like he isn't. Bottom line is, Gibbs hands that ball off twice more and everyone feels like something pretty neat just happened. The way it happened made you feel like we were stealing.

I would kill to see us run a flea flicker monday night.....to Randle El or Moss.

It seems like ten years since we have run that play.

And it would be set up perfectly--establish the run.....and then Bang!

That is the kind of aggressive play calling that could work wonders on so many levels. Not just the immediate long yardage gain we would hope to get.

And so much better than the Al reverse that almost always gets stuffed for a loss.

I would kill to see us run a flea flicker monday night.....to Randle El or Moss.

It seems like ten years since we have run that play.

And it would be set up perfectly--establish the run.....and then Bang!

That is the kind of aggressive play calling that could work wonders on so many levels. Not just the immediate long yardage gain we would hope to get.

And so much better than the Al reverse that almost always gets stuffed for a loss.

We actually have been pretty interesting with our trick plays, especially with Randle El in there. The Eagles ran a flea flicker I think on the second play against the Packers. Far too early in my view. You have to establish the run a BIT first I'd think. I also think the misdirection and reverses have typically worked very well for us. ARE got stoned by Thomas on Sunday, but that's one of the better parts of what we did a year ago.

:dallasuck

We actually have been pretty interesting with our trick plays, especially with Randle El in there. The Eagles ran a flea flicker I think on the second play against the Packers. Far too early in my view. You have to establish the run a BIT first I'd think. I also think the misdirection and reverses have typically worked very well for us. ARE got stoned by Thomas on Sunday, but that's one of the better parts of what we did a year ago.

I am all for the misdirection, especially against a swarming D.

It just seems our misdirection is always the end around, to either Randle El...occasionally Moss.

Let's mix it up a little, and I agree, in the third or fourth quarter, after about 35 rushing attempts.

The entire league has seen our end around. The entire league has seen Randle El throw.

I don't believe anyone in the league would be expecting a handoff to Betts or Portis.....followed by a bomb from Jason to a streaking Moss or Randle El. Especially with Lito S out of the game.

The flea flicker from a conservative type organization like us could be a difference maker on a Monday night in Philly.

I haven't heard any comments from the players on this issue.

Any quotes or reports on what they're thinking?

Not that I'm aware of. And you won't unless we start to lose. As with last year when you didn't really hear rumbling about Saunders and his offense until we were losing, you won't really see complaints until that point here. Winning is the greatest curative there is.

Not that I'm aware of. And you won't unless we start to lose. As with last year when you didn't really hear rumbling about Saunders and his offense until we were losing, you won't really see complaints until that point here. Winning is the greatest curative there is.

Agreed. Apparently, Gibbs felt the same way.

Glad we're all on the same page. :)

Agreed. Apparently, Gibbs felt the same way.

Glad we're all on the same page. :)

If we keep winning, no one will remember much of anything else. It'd just be a shame if in winning one, we did the thing that makes it hardest to do it again.

No Art, I understood you. I just think I have a different perspective on things.

Mainly, I lose all chance of showing domination when I go into Overtime and I suspect Coach got a lot of thank-you's for not having them go back out on the field and decided to end it when he did.

There are many factors that go into making those decisions and there is no telling what info was given to coach throughout the game that made him say that the first chance he gets, he is ending it. Maybe he saw some signs that made his brain immediately go to those events and it caused him to make that decision. I have no idea.

Either way, his experience is what we have him here for. Its why we love him being our Coach. We also know that he has 2 Cords that are super aggressive and will always give him extreme ideas on how to strike and strike fast. In the end, its his experience and those of his assitants that will put us in the Playoffs. It may not be pretty, but it will be based on a pretty damn good gut instinct by a Coach who is done it before.

Archived