Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: You first, coach.

Art

Can anyone think of a more fitting example of a call being successful, but (conventionally anyway), not right?

Sure, they ended up scoring. Sure, it gave them a bit of momentum. But sure, it was a stupid call when you weigh the calculations, risk, closeness of the game, etc.

Cameron's call was unconventional but the correct call. Economist David Romer did a study (2001 I think) which showed that pro football coaches made the wrong decision something like 900 out of 1,100 times on fourth down calls. I think the study is called "It's fourth down and what does the Bellman Equation say?" ...or something like that.

The incorrect call he made was on fourth and two in Redskin territory when Miami kicked the third quarter field goal. Using four downs, rather than three, Miami's chances of keeping their drive alive and scoring a TD were good and favored a more agressive approach especially on the road trying for the upset against a more talented team.

Had we missed it, Gibbs would've taken a lot of heat for the decision to try it from there when we had them on their heels.

Thats why it wasn't the right call.

Even making it everybody is thinking :doh:

If that kick was a miss and Miami gets the ball back and wins we'd hear more "Gibbs is done" from everybody here and in the media. The team would think he has no faith in them, or balls to go for the win.

If we run 2 more plays and Suisham misses a 30 yarder nobody would be saying, man that was stupid.

Who needs the confidence boost more? The backs and line? Or the kicker? I say the kicker... There are more factors to consider of course, but that one is on Gibbs' side I think.

If they had ran 2 more plays he'd still get a chance to kick. The difference is that nobody would be thinking "WTF??"

Archived