Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: You first, coach.

Art

So let me get this straight, if the Skins play inconsistently, but manage to pull out a win, it's still a disappointment? So what if they did that 10 or more times?

In the NFL, it's all about winning, not necessarily how you do it. We won the game!

We know the O-line and the RB's are good. They know it, and Gibbs knows it. Gibbs showed that he had faith in his kicker to get it done and finish the game on a long, hot day.....and Suisham did just that. The guy is like 11 for 12 as a Redskin. (and the fact that the Cowboys cut him makes it even sweeter!)

Gibbs ALWAYS has his head down during field goal kicks, especially critical ones, just like he did it his first run. That's nothing new.

Every year since Gibbs came back, the team has started slow, especially on offense. Even the year we went to the playoffs, we squeaked out a win in game 1 and looked horrible the first 56 minutes of game 2. The offense shows so much more potential now with Campbell at the helm, but it's just taking a little time. I believe by mid-season the Redskins will look like a different team, dominating their opponents, and shocking the national media....but if not, just win the close ones and they'll still have a legitimate shot.

I won't go as far as Mills - I think he's reading a little into the decision (which I think was a LOT more about Gibb's belief in Suisham than it was about a lack of confidence in his offense).

A confident man takes off the head set, tells those near him it's going to be good and watches as it is. He doesn't prostrate himself as if it's the must uncertain thing in the world about to occur. Some of that is Gibbs, but, if you're inspiring confidence from a team long more talk than real swagger, you at least FAKE confidece in your guys. Gibbs stands there and watches that kick, I'd tell you I agree he had confidence in Suisham. But, the bottom line is, when you have to pray for something tood to happen, you don't have confidence it will :).

What a freakin' great post Art, you must have been reading my mind. I mean I'm glad we won but we were on a roll and I would have liked to stuff it down thier throats a few more times to show them we won't stop and you can't do anything about it.

Gibbs has his reasons and I respect and love the man, but he coaches scared.

Cali,

It's not really about making fans happy. I'm willing to guarantee there are a number of players in that locker room who utterly hated how the game ended, despite the win. I'd almost go so far as to say this reasonably controversial statement. The team was actually HARMED, as a unit, MORE by winning like that than they would have been losing with Rabach having a hold, or Portis fumbling.

This is a team we'll ask to power out victory again and again and when called upon to do it, deep down, they can't help but wonder if the guy asking them even thinks they can without messing it up. It's a culture of play. Right now our culture is one of fearing the big negative rather than expecting the big positive. It's that transition that will mean everything for us.

Please Art, go pour yourself a stiff scotch and shut up.

You're taking this sh*t way too seriously.

We won the f'n game for god's sake. We are an "ugly" 1-0, which beats a pretty 0-1 any day.

We have another game coming up on Monday, not to mention at least fourteen more after that.

How about enjoy the W's and lament the L's, when they happen.

:cheers:

A confident man takes off the head set, tells those near him it's going to be good and watches as it is. He doesn't prostrate himself as if it's the must uncertain thing in the world about to occur. Some of that is Gibbs, but, if you're inspiring confidence from a team long more talk than real swagger, you at least FAKE confidece in your guys. Gibbs stands there and watches that kick, I'd tell you I agree he had confidence in Suisham. But, the bottom line is, when you have to pray for something tood to happen, you don't have confidence it will :).

Having watched Gibbs in intense heat as I have up close a couple of times, what you're dissecting could be as simple as 'my aging diabetic *** is about to fall out - please make this kick' :)

As a friend of mine likes to say....

just sayin.

For those who disagree, that's perfectly fine. I didn't write what I did seeking uniform acceptance. I wrote it because for me I place GREAT value in intangible qualities inherent in teams that, in my view, ultimately define them. As many correctly point out, the Redskins are not a team that can get all that picky about winning a game. It is good we won. No doubt about that.

The doubt is something else, for me, and, I imagine any of you who've played sports knows it as well. When you, as a youngster, walked to the foul line for the final two tailing by one, or you had the big block, or you were on the mat in a match, or you were at game point and serving, or whatever, if you enter the final moment pensive and concerned about the outcome, more often than not, the outcome is not as good as you would have seen had you known -- even falsely -- that you were ending it, right then, right there.

There IS a confidence in players and teams and coaches that you see on the field. The Ravens had FIVE turnovers and lost from the one-yard-line on their sixth, fully in the game. How? Their defense is conditioned to EXPECT to make the critical stop. Conditioned to make the changing play. Conditioned to keep it close, carry the offense, all the rest. It's not an option. It's just how it is.

You sense it from them. I hate them, but, that's a positive thing.

For us, what defines us is how scared we all are and that includes Gibbs, that we'll spike ourselves if given the chance. That's how we actually play and it's how we're coached. It's who we are. Until we're not any more. And I thought we had a chance to really make a step out of that. Instead, I felt we really confirmed that.

Eh, we kicked the field goal against the Seahawks in OT on 2nd down...nobody expressed doubts about Gibbs then...and it was only like 6 yards closer than the one against the Dolphins was.

Gibbs' goal was to obtain a victory, not to make fans "feel good". I'm MORE than fine with the decision.

I agree 100% a win is a win is a win. Im glad Coach Gibbs has that much confidence in our kicker. Nothing more than an opinion here, but I'm damn happy to be 1-0, a multitude of things could have happened beyond our control had we run another few plays and instead of tempting fate we won the game. Imagine this week if we had kept going and turned the ball over or sustained a penalty or worse an injury, in week 5 or 6 in this situation yeah go for it but a week one win is a real confidence booster. Still a good read art and I respect your opinion:cheers: here is to 2-0.

I, too, was troubled by the call. But my reasons differ from Art's (though I respect and understand his opinion).

In my view, kicking there was a lower-percentage play than running the ball three times to gain additional yardage. The running game was dominating the exhausted Fins' defense at that point. The line would be aware that a penalty would be devastating, and Portis would doubtless have prioritized holding on to the ball. Three straight conservative runs would likely have gained an additional 8-10 yards, turning the FG into a gimme. A 40-yard attempt is not automatic the same way a 30-yarder is.

As to the team confidnce issue, I think Suisham's confidence was likely bolstered by the decision to go to him in that situation. The team likely found the decision odd, but I doubt that many on the offense took the call as a slap, given Gibbs' conservative nature and the result . . .

Please Art, go pour yourself a stiff scotch and shut up.

You're taking this sh*t way too seriously.

We won the f'n game for god's sake. We are an "ugly" 1-0, which beats a pretty 0-1 any day.

We have another game coming up on Monday, not to mention at least fourteen more after that.

How about enjoy the W's and lament the L's, when they happen.

:cheers:

I have the scotch already my brother :). I do like the very different views on this article though. I expected polar opposite viewpoints from people. My wife said the same thing you did here when she read it. Though, to be fair, I AM enjoying the win. I just think that moment was a moment for us that could have been something more than it wound up being. There are more opportunities to have such moments, as you say. I hope we make the most out of the next.

My only comment about the kick is this:

If we didn't kick it on first down and (a) fumbled the ball- BTW Betts did this twice in key spots last year or (B) get called for holding or some other penalty (the refs were missing some calls and calling some really stupid ones) and we wound up NOT making the FG on 3rd down.

Imagine the holy hell of a **** storm Gibbs would face by the same media and same fans BY NOT KICKING on first down.......especially if Miami won.

Portis and Betts got the job done, Gibbs had faith in his kicker. Ball was in a reasonable spot. I friggin' hate OT anyway......so I was glad he did it.

Remember the final score was 16-13 REDSKINS

A quick thought in furtherance of what you're saying Art is that in a league of general parity, you have to make the most of any potential advantage you may have in whatever form possible (i.e., confidence in your example above) given the general impossibility of building a 53 man roster full of All-Pros.

I think that generally holds true.

When you're confident, it can substantially affect your performance--whether it's with girls at the bar or on the field at a football game.

My only comment about the kick is this:

If we didn't kick it on first down and (a) fumbled the ball- BTW Betts did this twice in key spots last year or (B) get called for holding or some other penalty (the refs were missing some calls and calling some really stupid ones) and we wound up NOT making the FG on 3rd down.

Imagine the holy hell of a **** storm Gibbs would face by the same media and same fans BY NOT KICKING on first down.......especially if Miami won.

Portis and Betts got the job done, Gibbs had faith in his kicker. Ball was in a reasonable spot. I friggin' hate OT anyway......so I was glad he did it.

Remember the final score was 16-13 REDSKINS

I doubt anyone would have seriously questioned doing what everyone does in that situation, which is to get closer. If the team screwed it up, then it screwed it up. Gibbs wouldn't have taken heat for that. However, imagine the holy hell he'd have taken for Suisham MISSING that kick :).

A quick thought in furtherance of what you're saying Art is that in a league of general parity, you have to make the most of any potential advantage you may have in whatever form possible (i.e., confidence in your example above) given the general impossibility of building a 53 man roster full of All-Pros.

I think that generally holds true.

When you're confident, it can substantially affect your performance--whether it's with girls at the bar or on the field at a football game.

What do you know about girls at the bar, Iheart??? :)

Art: Stop it. You're really starting to write things that don't make any sense.

And, tell us, how do you "FAKE confidence in your guys"? Do you think this is the first time he's had to "prostrate himself as if it's the must uncertain thing in the world about to occur"? That's what he does. He doesn't jut his jaw out ala Cowher or fein disinterest.

He does what he does, always has, always will. It's no sign of a lack of confidence. He always "prays for something good to happen". That's his m.o. No body motion to make the kick swing left or right as it's in the air. Merely drops his head and prays to the Lord that it will be good.

And you see that as a lack of confidence?

For those who disagree, that's perfectly fine. I didn't write what I did seeking uniform acceptance. I wrote it because for me I place GREAT value in intangible qualities inherent in teams that, in my view, ultimately define them. As many correctly point out, the Redskins are not a team that can get all that picky about winning a game. It is good we won. No doubt about that.

The doubt is something else, for me, and, I imagine any of you who've played sports knows it as well. When you, as a youngster, walked to the foul line for the final two tailing by one, or you had the big block, or you were on the mat in a match, or you were at game point and serving, or whatever, if you enter the final moment pensive and concerned about the outcome, more often than not, the outcome is not as good as you would have seen had you known -- even falsely -- that you were ending it, right then, right there.

There IS a confidence in players and teams and coaches that you see on the field. The Ravens had FIVE turnovers and lost from the one-yard-line on their sixth, fully in the game. How? Their defense is conditioned to EXPECT to make the critical stop. Conditioned to make the changing play. Conditioned to keep it close, carry the offense, all the rest. It's not an option. It's just how it is.

You sense it from them. I hate them, but, that's a positive thing.

For us, what defines us is how scared we all are and that includes Gibbs, that we'll spike ourselves if given the chance. That's how we actually play and it's how we're coached. It's who we are. Until we're not any more. And I thought we had a chance to really make a step out of that. Instead, I felt we really confirmed that.

That kind of confidence has to be developed though. Not in OTA's, not in training camp, not in preseason, but in real games that count. Yes, we haven't had it lately, but each win will help it develop. That's why a win...any kind of win...next week on the road against a division rival would do wonders. Winning, and especially knowing you can do it even when you're not at your best, breeds confidence.

What do you know about girls at the bar, Iheart??? :)

Good question :).

And, Sol, that's exactly my point. Teams go from first to worst and worst to first in the NFL every year. Players don't really solely define the difference in teams. At 5-6 in 2005 we were the same roster as we were at 10-6. Some softness in schedule, some injury to the opposition, some internal coming together, some unification in direction happened pulling that team out of where it was and making it something different. That team DID believe it would win. You could feel it. This team can accomplish the same or more before it's all said and done. I'd just have liked to have finished riding the horse that brung us.

Sorry Art, and I mean that sincerely. I have all the respect in the world for you.....but this is reaching just a little too much.

We made the kick, no one got injured, we didn't risk a penalty.....and we won.

I do know what you are feeling about taking shots....or about playing scared.

But had we lost that game, with Springs being disrespected and riding the pine....all hell would have broken loose.

You know that was the worst team we will play all season. And you are smart enough to know that beating a first year coach, with a first year offense, and a first year quarterback, at home, by a field goal in overtime is not really a confidence inspiring event.

nd not to open a can of worms.....but here is a great question.

You want to see if Gibbs has the balls necessary to win? Do you want the true test of "whether the game has passed him by?"

Here it is:

And I don't want to be known as "the betts guy," but here is the truth.

We are playing Philly Monday night. On the road. They are nasty. Their fans are nasty. We don't do particulary well there, but here is the bottom line:

Last season Betts put 172 yards running on their ass. 172 yards running. Forget the additional receiving yards...forget the kickoffs. 172 yards in running alone.

To put that into perspective:

Portis has NEVER run for 172 yards against any team as a Redskin. Not even close.

172 yards was by FAR the most yards anyone put on Philly last season.

4 Philly defenders hit the bench from tackling Betts. 4 people taken out of the game.

Quite simply, he was the toughest running back they saw all season.

Now, who does Joe play this weekend? Portis? A superstar on the rebound?

Or does he play the biggest stud they saw all season? A guy that put 172 yards on them, and a guy that personally injured half of their defense.

99 coaches out of 100 would play the guy that ran for 172 yards against Philly last season. Quite simply--against Philly, he gives us the best chance to win.

The safe, fan friendly thing to do? Play Portis.

Let's see if Gibbs still has it.

I understand your argument, and you make a pretty good case, but I still don't agree with you.

I don't think this was about "coaching scared". I think this is about a game where opportunities to win were missed left and right. Bad penalties, dropped passes, turnovers, plays that were too short, all of these things happened during the game. Also, I'm sure everyone was tired at that point as well, and mistakes do happen when players are tired. I'm sure he had a read on the team, and felt that a field goal at that point was the best option.

It isn't like this is unusual. There are plenty of teams who end drives early to kick field goals. Also, it isn't unusual to kick on a down other than 4th, just in case there is a problem. Course, usually teams get a little closer before they kick. But, I don't have a problem with sending out his kicker. Certainly, it shows a lot of confidence in him.

Considering that this was a close, hard-fought game down to the wire, I think winning was far more important than style points, especially with a tough division game on the road coming next week.

Jason

Art, you're missing a HUGE intangible here. We gained some much needed confidence in a kicker. Something we haven't had in many, many years. Could we have gained confidence in others on the team in the same situation? Sure, but who? Portis? Betts? The OL? What would we have gained that these guys don't already have? They've all been there. Suisham hasn't.

It's going to pay dividends in spades the rest of the season.

That kind of confidence has to be developed though. Not in OTA's' date=' not in training camp, not in preseason, but in real games that count. Yes, we haven't had it lately, but each win will help it develop. That's why a win...any kind of win...next week on the road against a division rival would do wonders. Winning, and especially knowing you can do it even when you're not at your best, breeds confidence.[/quote']

You may be right on that, no doubt. Maybe getting to the 22 in this game will inspire the confidence to try to get to the 15 in the next one. Extend it a little longer. Make your odds a little better. Knowing you can. That we didn't do more Sunday doesn't mean we won't in the future. It merely means when faced with a chance to build more of that confidence, Gibbs revealed his lack of it. Frankly, after that first down, I suspect we could have run a QB sneak for a TD. Miami was finished. The only way to breathe life into them was to take out the guys who were just destroying them and bring in a journeyman kicker who has not YET established himself as Mr. Automatic yet -- though, thankfully, he could :).

Art, I see what you are saying and agree to a point. But after last year, we need to win these close games BEFORE we worry about HOW to win them.

I didn't particularly like the call. I would have given the ball to my most surehanded RB, who also happens to be our most talented, and ground out a few more yards before kicking on 3rd or 4th. But now we hear CP had banged his ribs, we had a brand new Guard and a rook on the OL, Moss was dropping most everything, Lloyd is useless, 47 missed the bus that day, the refs already had a couple bad calls under their belt, and a win is a win. Easier to build on that than a loss any day.

Not saying I don't have issues with game management under JG II, but I'll give him a flyer on this one.

I think Gibbs didnt trust the officials, who had made several questionable calls in the game.

My point exactly.

And Art, yeah had we screwed that up (kept the drive going and get knocked out of FG range) the media would have been all over Gibbs. Just like they are over everything that he does.

If Gibbs has Eggs and Bacon for breakfast, there probably will be an article out there by some local paper or some local radio broadcaster (from **cough** 980** cough) saying he should have had Eggs and Sausage or just rasin bran b/c eggs are high in cholesterol. :)

Archived