Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Springs's Reserve Role Takes Some by Surprise (Merged)

JimmiJo

I don't understand this, are you saying that JLC got Springs wound up and influenced the quote, or that he made up the quote?

I am saying it was a non issue, and nothing that Springs was going around telling everyone, or even upset about

there were no big questions, in any posts during or after the game, Springs was asked about not starting the game on post game live (in a teasing mannor).. he said no big thing

Only person who has made ANYTHING out of it is JLC.. NOW it is a big issue

No other reporter, no other media outlet... just JLC, and even when given an answer... he won't let it go... and lets be fair this isn't his first time for him making a big deal out of nothing :laugh:

as Tarhog said

And, although I can respect the press has a job to do, it does seem like some of them go out of their way to focus on this ****. Hard not to see it that way.

You know what really drives me nuts about the Eagles? It's that their media acts as a bunch of cheerleaders for the organization. Why oh why can't the Washington media just let the Skins enjoy a win without drumming this stuff up? Save this stuff for when/if the team loses 2-3 in a row. I'm not saying I want the D.C. media to be like the Philly media, but good God, the Philly media wouldn't even take a sniff of a story like this had the Eagles won the game. God forbid the 'Skins and their fans enjoy themselves for a few days. JLC really needs to get a life.

Here's a technique to help you. Stick your fingers in your ears while repeating loudly "La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la" until the those bad media people stop saying bad things about the Redskins.

Others though wondered why the hell Shawn Springs was standing on the sidelines yesterday at the start of the game and for a large portion of the defensive plays. I'm glad reporters were asking why.

And are you serious about the Philly media? From all I've heard, they're brutal.

well our best player at that position was not on the field for some reason or another. And I'm not gonna speculate what that reason is.

However it is very concerning to me, especially this early in the season. This will only get worse. And you can bet that other members of the defense are taking notice.

What effect will it have? Probably not a good one, if I had to guess.

This is the time where Gibbs, as leader of this team, needs to step in and get the issues resolved, no matter what they might be. If Springs needs to be somewhere else, he should be cut/traded. If they intend to keep him, he needs to be on the field with the starters. He is the best corner/dback on this team.

I am saying it was a non issue, and nothing that Springs was going around telling everyone, or even upset about

there were no big questions, in any posts during or after the game, Springs was asked about not starting the game on post game live (in a teasing mannor).. he said no big thing

No other reporter, no other media outlet... just JLC, and even when given an answer... he won't let it go... and lets be fair this isn't his first time making a big deal out of nothing :laugh:

as Tarhog said

Lets be realistic, what was Springs suppose to say? Springs said the right thing, "No big deal", however, it's plain as day to see, there's something else going on.

No Big deal.... "Man, with my salary this year I'm not trippin,' " he said.

Read between the lines.

If it came down to a tie b/w either Smoot or Rogers instead of him then he has to realize that when you don't show up in the offseason and show disrespect to a HofF coach then when it's a tie, you're going to lose.

While your initial post sounds quite reasonable, here I raise the bull**** flag. Thats nonsense man - Shawn Springs is an extremely good corner - he's proven he can cover #1 wide receivers. Even at less than 100%, you'd be hard-pressed for any NFL coach to choose to put Carlos 'the buffer zone' Rogers in there ahead of him. I just don't see it.

He's pissed someone off, plain and simple (likely Gregg Williams). I think thats the only logical explanation. And my attitude there is - I DON'T CARE - we need the guy, we'll win more games with him in there than not. And as a Redskin's fan, I really don't care about proving a point to some player. If you want to win, work it out with the guy. He may have a little primadonna in him, but find me a corner who doesn't. When you had one of the most porous secondaries in the NFL last year, not putting your best players on the field, for ANY reason, just doesn't fly to me as a fan.

Look.....This is freakin unbelievable!!! Springs signed a contract and is under no obligation to restructure a damn thing. I am so tired of hearing about people being placed on some list if they are alleged "trouble maker" or "non-team" attitude.

We can't have our best cover corner sitting on the bench until his freakin package is called. That logic or BS excuse may have worked with the media or some of you on this board the past couple of years but this is SS were talking about and I'm not buying it. Especially when he was not even told until a few minutes before the game. IMO, something happened during the week of the Raven game as he did not play from that point until coming in as a nickel yesterday.

This could be a serious problem....I remember the Arrington thing not really being a big issue until interview after interview was done and stuff didn't match what the coaches were saying and then it blew up. I think the difference in this situation is that Springs knows he is making good money and if they want to play him as a Nickel he could care less. I hope this gets fixed quickly!!!

Bubba,

Please in this situation take off your blinders. You know Springs is our best corner by FAR.

You also know that Lavar played when when he got back in in 2005. (Playoffs anyone?)

You know GW has made comments in the past about how good his defense is regardless of the players.

This situation is more than disturbing. We could not cover the dolphins WRs. Luckily they dropped 6 balls, yes 6 balls were flat out dropped.

Springs made plays every time he was on the field, hell he recovered a fumble.

Springs is cool not starting because he is clocking 5 mill and is a good guy. He knows ****ing wont do anything so he will just ride it out, make his money, and then move on. This is the reason he didnt ***** about it to the media untill asked. Surely you can see this.

Let me get this straight, Marcus Washington has an elbow problem and was clearly not 100%. He missed tackles as he only has 1 arm but he is starting and playing, yet Springs who claims to be 100% is not playing because the coaches "saw something".

Yet his replacements gave up passes like it was no ones business.

If Springs was actually hurt dont you beleive Macklin would have been active (incase he got even more hurt?), but he wasnt, you know why? Because he is not hurt.

What about not telling the player untill just before kickoff. That is wrong, and it def hurt our other corners too. They practice all week thinking they are gonna play a certain position and then get switched last second.

Bottom Line: It didnt work and it needs to change.

This issue is really bothering me. It is very hard to root for GW and his antics. He is an ass hole and it has become very apparent.

I want to win, not deal with a coaches politics.

Bottom Line:

If springs may get hurt, let him play and get hurt. You know why? Because untill he gets hurt we can play well and win games. IF he does get hurt, then we start the other 2.

If we dont play him, its not different then him getting hurt except we dont get his skills untill the injury*

Lets be realistic, what was Springs suppose to say? Springs said the right thing, "No big deal", however, it's plain as day to see, there's something else going on.

No Big deal.... "Man, with my salary this year I'm not trippin,' " he said.

Read between the lines.

How many times has there been all these big conspiracy theories about something Gibbs is doing , but later in hindsight it comes out he was telling the truth all along

If reporters know so much about football, they would be coaching

Just because we can't see everything going on behind close doors, doesn't mean that there is something to "hide" except to the other team

While your initial post sounds quite reasonable, here I raise the bull**** flag. Thats nonsense man - Shawn Springs is an extremely good corner - he's proven he can cover #1 wide receivers. Even at less than 100%, you'd be hard-pressed for any NFL coach to choose to put Carlos 'the buffer zone' Rogers in there ahead of him. I just don't see it.

He's pissed someone off, plain and simple (likely Gregg Williams). I think thats the only logical explanation. And my attitude there is - I DON'T CARE - we need the guy, we'll win more games with him in there than not. And as a Redskin's fan, I really don't care about proving a point to some player. If you want to win, work it out with the guy. He may have a little primadonna in him, but find me a corner who doesn't. When you had one of the most porous secondaries in the NFL last year, not putting your best players on the field, for ANY reason, just doesn't fly to me as a fan.

Sounds like Gibbs needs to pull GW back onto the ranch. A CB that can cover Flankers must play. Plain and simple.

Anyone remember JLC going on and on in TC that the Skins weren't being tough in camp

but yesterday, several reports talked about how the Skins were in better condition, and wore the Dolphins down in the 4th quarter, many dolphin players taking knees on the field

So Springs did start the game and played a majority of snaps yesterday? How does one thing have anything to do with the other?

The best corner on the team since Roland was on the sideline and he claimed he is not injured in any way. It is legitimate of the media to ask why.

One of the best posts i have ever read. So true.

PS I think spings is not a very big primadonna at all compared to other corners. Hell he doesnt even want to make a big deal about this because he knows it is a personal problem.

He doesnt dance every second he can like Rogers and Smoot.

SPRINGS NEEDS TO BE ON THE FIELD. He is a great player.

Not true. A LOT of people in the stands were wondering why Springs was on the bench when the Skins D took the field.

If a player everybody assumes is a starter hardly plays, it's an issue. At least in terms of wanting to know why.

Interesting, though. Redskins.com's depth chart still lists Springs as the starter.

How many times has there been all these big conspiracy theories about something Gibbs is doing , but later in hindsight it comes out he was telling the truth all along

If reporters know so much about football, they would be coaching

Just because we can't see everything going on behind close doors, doesn't mean that there is something to "hide" except to the other team

Dude Bubba,

Springs said he is fine. Springs has looked fine. Springs still played, washington has admitted he is hurt and he is playing. Portis has played with injuries. Jansen was allowed to play with 2 broken thumbs.

Springs is not allowed to play. Here is a big thing: HE WAS NOT LISTED ON THE INJURY REPORT. With the new rules, if he even has an eyelash it needs to be reported, yet it wasnt. So is the team looking to get in trouble with the league for lieing?

Please Bubba, i know you love the team, as do i, but you dont have to defend every move. This is a move that can do nothing but hurt out team.

Bubba,

Please in this situation take off your blinders. You know Springs is our best corner by FAR.

You also know that Lavar played when when he got back in in 2005. (Playoffs anyone?)

:laugh:

Lavar? is a prime example in hindsight the COACHES WERE 100% correct

remeber huis TC with the Giants

Springs is our best CB, and trust me if they felt he was 100% to go all game... HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED the whole game... a coach who plays mental games and keeps the best players off the field for anything other than injury or displanary reasons, won't be around long

just because the answer is not want you want to hear, doesn't mean that someone is lying.

Gibbs said there was some concerns about Springs in practice.. then therer was some concerns about Springs in practice

jlc has proven to be a real horse's arse in my book this season. he start instigating portis when it was a non-issue on the team, he's instigating now, he just questions everything going on.

i'm not saying that this isn't odd, but springs gave his answer and it really has been a non-issue. i'd like to see what happens on monday night before i take any sides, but from what i saw on the field and post game from springs, there really didn't seem to be an issue.

BS - This is a message board myth. Find me the quote.

Maybe i shouldnt have used the word "comments"

Maybe i should have used the word "actions"

or maybe i should have quoted the 100000 of people here who claim williams is so great (even better than lovie) because he doesnt need talent.

Maybe i should quote tons of sources on him.

But maybe i was wrong in using the word comments from him, However actions speak louder than words.

You want springs on the sideline, fine, i dont.

Lets leave Lavar out of this. We know 2 things about Lavar : 1) He was a loose cannon and said things openly detrimental to the team (in fact, sought out the press to do so), and worse 2) was as likely to make a boneheaded game-ending mistake on any given Sunday as be a savior. Springs has none of that baggage, at least not to our knowledge.

Totally different situation. Arrington was never the same guy after his injuries. Springs seems healthy. No comparison between the 2 scenarios.

i am worried about this. it is becoming a perennial trend around here that a player on the defense seems to be on the outs with the coaches. Springs is very important to this team. Everyone in my section at FedEx was wondering the same thing..."WTF is spring doing standing there!!!!???" I really, REALLY hope that they are just be cautious with him this year, but history says there is something else going on....

not to mention that we had decent guys like walt harris, ryan clark, etc that were looking promising, but we figured them to be replaceable.. couple other notable players too

Not true. A LOT of people in the stands were wondering why Springs was on the bench when the Skins D took the field.

If a player everybody assumes is a starter hardly plays, it's an issue. At least in terms of wanting to know why.

And yet when fans find out the answer they don't want to believe it. I find this whole thing comical. The skins were roundly criticized last year for not allowing Springs sufficient time to heal from his injury, misdiagnosing the sports hernia and what not. The guy has not played a full season in three years, so why is it so unrealistic, so far out of the box to think that the coaches saw something that worried them enough to limit his playing time and err on the side of caution with a veteran who has shown 0 penchant for staying healthy? Springs wasn't benched, he wasn't a personal punt protector, he was in the game. Some of you guys are acting like the dude was deactivated.

Archived