Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top priority: who replaces Jansen?

nneece

Why would you not give Heyer the chance? I realize Wade is the 3rd tackle for a reason and was hurt today, but Heyer came in against a good D and our offense excelled. Give the kid a chance before you just replace him.

I AGREE with you. Stephon has done all the Skin's have asked him to. What's more is that the running game picked up on his side ... tells you something about his blocking and opening up holes!:point2sky

Stating Heyer isn't a long term solution may or may not be true since none of us knows whether he is or isn't, but, as none of us knows that, stating he isn't merely reflects how little you've paid attention. Heyer has looked quite good in there. I'm inclined to agree with Bufford that he's the answer at least one more week. However, as he's also our primary backup left tackle should Samuels get hurt, I'd hate to have us make two changes along the line to account for one injury. So, play Wade there and continue building Heyer along as he seems like he is the type of guy who may fill a roll for you in the future. We've got no evidence on the field he isn't.

This is a major blow in week 1. Who can we get to replace Jansen? Heyer is certainly not a long term solution.

What are you talking about?

Heyer gives up NOTHING against one of the best rushers in the game while playing right tackle for the first time in his life, but he's not a long term solution? He's also a rookie.

Let's see, who's long term:

A guy who's been around forever who clearly didn't win that role, or the guy who beat him out for it who has played only one game.

Jeez, man. It's hard to be further off than that.

Notice Cooleys absense from the passing game? He was helping Heyer most of the time. Wade wouldn't require as much help from a TE. Starting Wade is a no-brainer right now. Heyer is good, but theres no reason to start an undrafted, inexperience rookie in what is very likely gibbs last season as our head coach. This is the year we pretty much NEED to go for it all and we need to go with Wade.

As far as Jansen goes, my guess is we either release him or get him to restructure to stay on as a backup next year.

Wade. Who else? Are you asking who we should pick off up another team?

While the 'Skins aren't a deep team, the one place we had a quality backup is Tackle.

There was concern for me about depth. I've only heard about Heyer playing the position. He's an undrafted rookie, I believe. I wasn't sure of Wade's status. For Heyer, he was getting help from Cooley. We definitely need Cooley to be available for offense production. Heyer sounds like he has a lot of upside and I'm sure will get plenty of playing time but it doesn't seem to me like he is starting material on the caliber of Jon Jansen.

What are you talking about?

Heyer gives up NOTHING against one of the best rushers in the game while playing right tackle for the first time in his life, but he's not a long term solution? He's also a rookie.

Let's see, who's long term:

A guy who's been around forever who clearly didn't win that role, or the guy who beat him out for it who has played only one game.

Jeez, man. It's hard to be further off than that.

Again, not starting material in my mind given that he is an inexperienced rookie. I've only heard good things about Jansen, although it's fairly obvious his play has started to fall off, and of course the injuries. I think it would be great for Heyer to backup Wade and develop into the starter of the future.

Archived