Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top priority: who replaces Jansen?

nneece

He didn't go against Taylor. However, I still think that it should be Heyer.

get you facts straight before you call someone out. yes he did go up against taylor. miami probably thought their was a mismatch on his side and moved him over there. and heyer did a very good job. heyer's more natural position is right tackle where he played in college,so i think he will be fine.

I say Heyer should keep his position until he loses it. His play was solid against a very good defense. He earned his time with preseason and practice excellence and showed he could handle a pro game today.

Agreed.

And we can breathe a little easier knowing Wade is behind him.

Heyer has earned it. At least this week.

~Bang

Heyer is the backup at LT. He went in at RT because Wade was inactive with the sore shoulder. In my mind given his NFL experience and performances at RT in the past that Gibbs is going to go with Wade for 2007.

This is why he was resigned in the offseason. The Redskins agreed to let him compete for the LG job, and that is one of the reasons he returned to the club. But in the back of their minds both Gibbs and Bugel knew they very well might need the 6'8 and 320 at tackle based on Jon's recent history of injury :)

At right tackle, Heyer could be. He was overmatched at LT, but may be servicable at right. Give him a shot, I say, but have Wade ready. At some point, in today's NFL, you have to keep young depth, and be prepared to play them. Every back-up can't be some all-pro. The guy has shown potential. He could be a future starter. You go with him rather than Wade, let him develop, see what he shows.

The fact remains that LT is such a hard spot to find players, that Heyer is likely to remain on that side behind Samuels while Wade starts at RT.

Wade is a veteran in his prime, it would be a real surprise to see Heyer remain the RT.

We saw some quirky things out there today, including Springs as the nickel corner, so never say never.

But I would be surprised not to see Todd out there against the Eagles.

You know what, I'm not sure who we should start. I have confidence on both of our back up Tackles. The fact that we are even arguing about this is a testament to our depth at the position.

Lets be honest about something here and call a spade a spade. I really don't hear a lot of people saying anything to the affect of "We're screwed. Jansen is a critical player for us and he's irreplacable." When Jansen went down, I certainly felt bad and don't ever want to see anyone get hurt. But the cold-hearted truth here folks, is that Jansen was on the decline. You know it. I know it. You could see it begin last year and this pre-season it was more than evident. I DID NOT want it to end this way (and I don't know if he's done for good or not, just saying......) but I truly believe that Wade/Heyer may not necessarily be a step back for us. I don't think we are going to be any worse off here.

The truth is what it is. We've got good depth at Tackle and Jansen going down may turn out to be a non-issue. I'll tell you what, the run blocking and pass protection didn't take a step back after Jansen got carted off.

Most likely will be Wade if listen to Heyer after the game he admitted he hasnt really played much RT. He might went well today but it a lot to ask for him to play the position rest the season.

Secondly Heyer has shown he can backup both spots on line. So he maybe more usefull as the backup. Anyway i would see how both preform in practice.

At the worst Heyer will get more reps at RT just in case Wade gets injuried

In a way i think it should be Heyer from everything i've heard he was very talented at MD and the better player between him and Gaither who seems to be playing good has well, we were very lucky to get him. The kid has been solid all year and seems very strong at the point and in the run game.

Wade played well in 1 game last year. Before that alot of people thought he was on the downside and was struggling in pass protection with Houston. He did'nt have any teams interested in signing him to compete for a starting job so he signed here for the minimium. This offseason still nobody offered him a job at RT so he resigned to experimient at LG.

Maybe the coaches seen enough of him in 1 game and the non game conditions of pratice to warrant him starting.

In my opinion i go with the young guy who is gonna get better with every game. Not the vet who is getting older and on the downside of his career.

This is a major blow in week 1. Who can we get to replace Jansen? Heyer is certainly not a long term solution.

Maybe you missed the game, but Heyer looks like a hidden gem for us. And it couldnt come at a better time considering the overall age of our O-Line. The Ravens think they got a steal in the other MD kid, but it looks like ours was cheaper.

Archived