Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Optimists Vs. Naysayers Bet Thread - UPDATE: Final Stats

Califan007 The Constipated

First, and foremost, I consider myself a realist and not a naysayer.

I am very confident that the defense will be much improved and will be at least a top-15 defense. Being a realist, however, how are we going to get at least 35 sacks (an average amount by the way) and have at least a +7 TO differential without a dominant DE or two to rush the passer and force TOs?

Although I hope the defense shatters these modest numbers, at this time, I don't see it happening. So I guess you can count me among the naysayers...but I really want to lose this bet.

Make me eat crow Skins and brand me with that avatar! :)

Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, and foremost, I consider myself a realist and not a naysayer.

I am very confident that the defense will be much improved and will be at least a top-15 defense. Being a realist, however, how are we going to get at least 35 sacks (an average amount by the way) and have at least a +7 TO differential without a dominant DE or two to rush the passer and force TOs?

Although I hope the defense shatters these modest numbers, at this time, I don't see it happening. So I guess you can count me among the naysayers...but I really want to lose this bet.

Make me eat crow Skins and brand me with that avatar! :)

Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe califan will put you with the "have my cake and eat it too crowd".

haha, its not that, i just think its funny that he is separating people who are naysayers from the people who dont wanna be called a naysayer. you, sir, are a naysayer according to califans bet.

Call me whatever you want. I will be the first so say I was wrong as we head to the Super Bowl. Because if we meet all of these things that is where we are going.

i think its pretty lame you made another group for people who just dont wanna be called naysayers even though they are, but whatever. call me a naysayer because i dont think we'll meet all those goals. and 20 takeaways in 06 would have been around the bottom of the barrel as well (only 4 teams had less than 20 out of the 32 nfl teams - WSH/TB/HOU/NO), so its kinda funny that youre calling yourself an optimist when youre claiming that:

A. we will have an average sack total (around 35)

B. we will have a well below average amount of turnovers for a defense (20)

C. we will be around an average defense in terms of ranking (15th)

:doh:

I put you in the "naysayers" group because 1) back then, you were squarely with them, and 2) I jokingly kept you there because you admitted it lol...didn't realize the label would be such a concern for you. Not like it gets put on your permanent record or shows up on your resume or anything lol :laugh:...

As for those who don't follow into the naysayer group but still don't think the defense will make all three of the stipulations, if you have a few weeks of free time go back and read the ORIGINAL thread again...I specifically said in that thread that the posters I considered "naysayers" were not simply fans who had doubts...they were the ones who did things like spend thread after thread blasting the FO for not drafting a D-lineman, proclaim that the Skins would end up 5-11 or worse, and would ridicule anyone who showed any optimism whatsoever about the Skins' chances and especially optimism about the Skins' defense and Gibbs/Williams' approach to it this offseason.

However, there are those who didn't do any of these things, who think the Skins' defense does deserve some optimism...but still don't think all three stipulations will be met, and want to bet that they won't. They get the last category in my eyes.

In other words, the catagory of "naysayer" is not based on whether or not you think these three things in the bet will be accomplished, or if you think 2 of the 3 will be...it's based on beliefs, attitudes and an entrenched negativity towards the Skins that was being thrown out constantly back then, BEFORE the bet was even started. Remember, this bet was created a few weeks after the draft, when the "naysayers" were at their loudest.

Anyway, tell me which category you feel you belong in, and I'll change it lol...I really don't give a ****. :)

Being a Sagittarius, who are the epitome of optimism, all I can see is a positive season for the Redskins.

And it would not be fair for me to take advantage of those foolish enough to believe the Redskins will have a losing season and not a stellar defense if they are relatively healthy

Ok, so...this means you're not wanting to take part, right? lol...Some of you are confusing me with your posts :laugh:...

:doh:

I put you in the "naysayers" group because 1) back then, you were squarely with them, and 2) I jokingly kept you there because you admitted it lol...didn't realize the label would be such a concern for you. Not like it gets put on your permanent record or shows up on your resume or anything lol :laugh:...

As for those who don't follow into the naysayer group but still don't think the defense will make all three of the stipulations, if you have a few weeks of free time go back and read the ORIGINAL thread again...I specifically said in that thread that the posters I considered "naysayers" were not simply fans who had doubts...they were the ones who did things like spend thread after thread blasting the FO for not drafting a D-lineman, proclaim that the Skins would end up 5-11 or worse, and would ridicule anyone who showed any optimism whatsoever about the Skins' chances and especially optimism about the Skins' defense and Gibbs/Williams' approach to it this offseason.

However, there are those who didn't do any of these things, who think the Skins' defense does deserve some optimism...but still don't think all three stipulations will be met, and want to bet that they won't. They get the last category in my eyes.

In other words, the catagory of "naysayer" is not based on whether or not you think these three things in the bet will be accomplished, or if you think 2 of the 3 will be...it's based on beliefs, attitudes and an entrenched negativity towards the Skins that was being thrown out constantly back then, BEFORE the bet was even started. Remember, this bet was created a few weeks after the draft, when the "naysayers" were at their loudest.

Anyway, tell me which category you feel you belong in, and I'll change it lol...I really don't give a ****. :)

keep me in the naysayers, i just find it funny that youve got the "optimist group", the "pessimist group", and the "i'm really a pessimist but please dont call me one" group.

I love how many optimists there are here. Either this is an extremely safe bet, or someone spiked the water supply with some damn good kool-aid. :)

I dunno man, ES trumpets how many members? and only about 45 are taking the optimist side. Seems to me ALOT of people don't believe this will happen but dont want to be called a naysayer so they just avoid the thread

I'd rather be optimistic and lose, then pessimistic and win.

Character is going to carry the Skins further than most think this season and even if we pessimist lose this bet we will have not lost our faith as fans :cheers:

How can anyone truely be a fan in a team they have no faith in.

Always have and always will have faith that Joe Gibbs can turn us into winners, which he has proven time and time again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump with an update with 1/4 of the season gone.

1) The Skins defense will rank in the top 15...

Currently ranked 3rd overall

2) The Skins defense will have 35+ sacks...

Currently have 12 sacks.

3) The Skins defense will have a +7 turnover ratio...."

Currently +1

Need to work on the TO ratio, but that could easily be closer than it is had some bounces gone our way.

Feelin' pretty good right now about this bet :)

Bump with an update with 1/4 of the season gone.

1) The Skins defense will rank in the top 15...

Currently ranked 3rd overall

2) The Skins defense will have 35+ sacks...

Currently have 12 sacks.

3) The Skins defense will have a +7 turnover ratio...."

Currently +1

Need to work on the TO ratio, but that could easily be closer than it is had some bounces gone our way.

Feelin' pretty good right now about this bet :)

Thank you...I was gonna do this earlier today but real life called and interrupted my goof off time lol :laugh:...

3rd overall, check...on pace for 48 sacks, check...+1 turnover ratio, well, that needs to pick up a bit. But hey, that's why I'm called an optimist, right?.. :cool:

Archived