Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stop Worrying About Our Third String QB

UltimateSkins

When was the last time you saw a third string QB actually come into a game? It simply doesn't happen. Some teams even go with only 2 active quarterbacks and if one quarterback happens to go down, the team just brings in an FA for a few weeks. I honestly don't care who our third string QB is because he's never going to see the field. Whether it be Palmer, Randel El or Jon Jansen, it doesn't make a difference.

What happens if JC goes down in the opener and then Todd goes down in the 2nd game? Would you really want to see Palmer start for us from week 3 and on?

Is that likely? No, but can it happen, yes!

That is why you worry about every position and put the best players at each position, so in case the unthinkable happens, you are covered.

Isn't Atlanta down to their 3rd stringer?

Yes, and they're screwed. If your #1 and #2 qbs both go down, your season is over unless there's a miracle. And maybe with a better 3rd stringer you can eek out 6 wins instead of 3-4. But either way the season is lost

When was the last time you saw a third string QB actually come into a game? It simply doesn't happen. Some teams even go with only 2 active quarterbacks and if one quarterback happens to go down, the team just brings in an FA for a few weeks. I honestly don't care who our third string QB is because he's never going to see the field. Whether it be Palmer, Randel El or Jon Jansen, it doesn't make a difference.

Are you Brian Mitchell? That's what he said on 980 this afternoon; almost verbatim.

Please tell me how many time in NFL history has this type of senerio has happened. Let get real now.

What happens if JC goes down in the opener and then Todd goes down in the 2nd game? Would you really want to see Palmer start for us from week 3 and on?

That is why you worry about every position and put the best players at each position, so in case the unthinkable happens, you are covered.

Please tell me how many time in NFL history has this type of senerio has happened. Let get real now.

He's just making a point. These people who think that the 3rd stringer will never play....let me ask you this - you think we'd be better off just holding onto 2 then? I mean if the 3rd stringer NEVER plays, then why keep him on the team, right?

Actually, what is more likely to happen is that the Skins would find a veteran off the street to play things out. There is usually someone available that hasn't caught on.

Jason

Look, the third string QB just doesn't play enough to warrant not taking a risk on that position. Sometimes you have to make decisions for the future of the franchise, and if we can get any type of draft pick for Brunell that works in our favor. Yes you want to have the best players at each position, but there are times you have to take a chance to get a reward, and maybe the coaches feel that this is one of those times.

Actually, what is more likely to happen is that the Skins would find a veteran off the street to play things out. There is usually someone available that hasn't caught on.

Jason

But the veteran off the stree would not know the playbook or the team like Brunell/Collins do (whoever becomes #2 and #3). Since we have them under contract and don't need cap space this year, I see no reason to let either one of them go.

If the worse was to happen, at least we have depth at the most important position.

Funny that we've debated the merits of keeping, releasing, or trading our THIRD string QB over hundreds (heck it might now be thousands of posts), and Jacksonville announces that they're going to trade or release their STARTING QB 9 days before the season starts.

And just when you think our FO can't be topped!

Why are we having all this talk about our Qb getting hurt ?

Bad karma. :2cents:

All this panic about who our 3rd string Qb is crazy. How many other teams are worried about their 3rd string Qb ?

Have fun, I will just look forward to 9/9. :point2sky

Wrong. If you never actually see a 3rd string QB play, then why do most NFL teams keep 3 on the roster? Do they just LIKE wasting a valuable roster spot on someone who so obviously wont ever see the field? Or do they realize just how important it is to have a 3rd in case of emergency?

Just because most of the time, when you get down to your 3rd string QB you are screwed, doesnt mean you throw up your hands and quit. Ill ask you a simple question...Are we a better team without Brunell on the roster? The answer is easy, no. So why would we make our team worse, for a 7th round draft pick, when he costs us nothing to keep?

Theres a reason most 3rd string QB are projects or young guys. If you have to rely on the 3rd stringer to "win games" for you because of injury, you're not going to the superbowl anyway, unless you can get your starter back in time to make the playoffs.

Of course injuries happen, but even if Campbell and Collins got hurt, do you have Super Bowl aspirations even if Brunell is into the starting lineup? I sure won't, considering he didn't do it in any other season he started.

Jon Jansen is a QB?:laugh:

Are you Brian Mitchell? That's what he said on 980 this afternoon; almost verbatim.

That's pretty funny actually. I'm fairly sure BMitch remembers the "Body bag game" I actually try to block it out of my mind, but I think he came close to playing QB that day as I remember it.

If Jason Campbell goes out for the season with an ACL tear on the first offensive series this year, I'll start the poll to see how many guys think the 3rd string QB matters or not :)

Of course it doesn't matter. Until it matters.

And don't even post 'we'd go out and get some journeyman'. Yeah, we'd have to, but you can't tell me having Brunell as a 3rd stringer vs. some journeyman totally unfamiliar with our playbook are equivalents.

They're not.

Archived