Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stop the press. Model franchise, Ravens, starting a rookie at left tackle.

Art

Well, Baltimore, I guess, given Heyer seems to be playing better than Gaither. But, indeed, they are starting him due to injury. Like we're starting Heyer. That's the point. Neither guy will be seen again until August 2008.

When both were on the field at Maryland, Heyer was the better tackle, no question. Gaither's ceiling in college was to be the next Joe Thomas had he not been so damn stupid and actually gone to class.

[shameless sarcasm]A rookie starting at LT in the preseason due to injuries???? WHAT are Billick and Newsome thinking?!?! Think of the children..oh god oh please think of the children![/shameless sarcasm]

I believe he surrendered as many as Heyer, with, the difference being he couldn't block Carter and Heyer could block the men he had to go against. How do those facts help you in this conversation?

But, you are generally right to doubt any writer could find any NFL executive who would say a team should not start a rookie at left tackle. You're almost there. See if you can find the rest yourself.

You're wrong. I don't want to stick up for the Ravens, but Carter was fairly lifeless as a pass rusher. The Skins got pressure with the linebackers and safeties. When it was just the front four, McNair had time to throw.

Heyer looked better tonight, you're right about that, but from what I saw the Ravens only brought pressure a few times and when they did they came at the right side, something I couldn't understand.

You hate the Post, you think they do a lousy job at being objective about the team. I've questioned them on occasion as well, certainly last week when they said that the price that the Redskins paid for getting Kendall was "steep", but compared to the bewildering vernacular coming out of Redskin Park...I'll take the Post anyday.

Well, if you are going to make an argument based on another team doing the same thing we are doing, you should probobly pick one with a good offense.

Thats not exactly something Baltimore has been known for. Baltimore has proven time and time again that they know little to nothing about running an NFL offense.

also before saying carter was lifeless last night, think of all the diff combos were using along the dline, especially the rotation at d-tackle. lets wait and see how carter, griffin, golston, daniels all play together when they get regular snaps together in a game. also, while gaither looked less than impressive last night, i noticed collins getting up off the ground several times as well tho i didnt always see where the pressure came from

You're wrong. I don't want to stick up for the Ravens, but Carter was fairly lifeless as a pass rusher.

Huh? You need to watch the game, because either you didn't watch it the first time or your memory is failing.

Heyer looked better tonight, you're right about that, but from what I saw the Ravens only brought pressure a few times and when they did they came at the right side, something I couldn't understand.

The Ravens only brought pressure a few times? Are you kidding? Please watch the game before you make statements that are objectively incorrect. It really hurts your credibility.

You're wrong. I don't want to stick up for the Ravens, but Carter was fairly lifeless as a pass rusher. The Skins got pressure with the linebackers and safeties. When it was just the front four, McNair had time to throw.

Wow, you didn't catch the game at all......Carter was beating Gaither all over the place.

But Heyer misses a block once in the Steelers game and JLa and the other "realists" say....SEE LOOK AT THE ONE PLAY LOOK HOW STUPID GIBBS AND BUGEL ARE FOR STARTING A ROOKIE :rolleyes:

And don't forget that the Steeler DE made an illegal hit on the play.

I guess that was ALSO Gibbs and Co's fault. They should have known that the Steelers would illegally tackle low, right JLC? :laugh:

Excellent point. One NFL Executive I've spoken to said, "Gaither has the size you dream about to be a left tackle, but, he is very slow off the ball and has no football intelligence. No one would put him in the lineup yet."

An un named sourced. Kind of like JLC yet he gets bashed for un named sources.

Not trying to go out you here Art, but its not fair to have it both ways.

Excellent point. One NFL Executive I've spoken to said, "Gaither has the size you dream about to be a left tackle, but, he is very slow off the ball and has no football intelligence. No one would put him in the lineup yet."

When it came to run blocking, Gaither was great at UMD. He was, however, benched several times for making mental mistakes out there. The year Heyer was out with a torn ACL, Gaither had the starting LT job, but lost it because of mistakes.

The potential is still there, though.

Huh? You need to watch the game, because either you didn't watch it the first time or your memory is failing.

The Ravens only brought pressure a few times? Are you kidding? Please watch the game before you make statements that are objectively incorrect. It really hurts your credibility.

Dude, way to chop my posts when they are convenient for you. The Skins got pressure when they brought the linebackers and safeties. I watched the game not an hour before that post was made and I'll probably watch the game again. Might I suggest YOU watch the game again?

And when the Ravens brought pressure, it was mostly to the right side. I'm not going to write down every blitz, but I couldn't understand why they didn't attack the left side. From what I saw, it seemed they gave Heyer more help on the left side, TE helping out and such. Like I said before, I thought Heyer played better but I didn't think he got tested like he did the first few weeks.

I agree with the idea of this post but the Ravens FO has certainly earened a little bit more lee way when it comes to second guessing them.The way I look at it a 5-11 team is going to be viewed differently than one that is 13-3 any way you look at it. JLC may not be the best beat writer by any means but he is a far cry from Nunyo and the little feud with Jason seems very childish.

I agree with the idea of this post but the Ravens FO has certainly earened a little bit more lee way when it comes to second guessing them.The way I look at it a 5-11 team is going to be viewed differently than one that is 13-3 any way you look at it. JLC may not be the best beat writer by any means but he is a far cry from Nunyo and the little feud with Jason seems very childish.

Exactly. Very well said. If you win, you get the benefit, when you continously lose, you dont.

Sure but it took only one play to render your observation completely null and void.

Suuuuuure.

I said "largely lifeless". That doesn't mean completely. If you want to hang your entire argument on one play....where the LT got knocked off keel by his own guy......fine....I mean I guess it doesn't matter that he was unabated, that no one touched him....that you could have probably made the play.....no, that doesn't matter.

What else did Cerrato say?

Gaither is getting whipped off the ball, jumping off sides and looking positively like the ideal person to protect McNair. Wonder if the Baltimore Sun will lead with the insanity of using a rookie to back fill for your Pro Bowler at the spot?

Art,

Let it go.

Listen I am no fan of jason la con for a. He showed me his true colors. I have a real problem with a writer who HATES the franchise being the "beat" reporter. Its just as bad as having a total homer writing for it.

But if you follow Baltimore Sun and Baltimore Sports, Mike Preston for years has been calling the Ravens on the carpet. Many Baltimore fans dislike the guy, but he keeps on doing it. He runs online q&a's and other stuff....here is his recent article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston26aug26,0,955740.column

Let it go.

Here is the point and problem I have with JLC articles and blogs. He is over critical ( there is no right move either way) and hypocritical (critizes the skins for certain things but not other teams for doing the same thing) . Anybody that read his blog from last night knows he is watching these games with predetermined ideas about the skins. Quote “but the lack of pressure and inability to force a turnover by the starters is beyond ridiculous now” that’s not what I saw at all and apparently I am not alone http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.preston26aug26,0,640408.column.

Finally relentlessly attacking our LT while not mentioning that horrible Gaithers (sp). That guy looks like Bigfoot but I think Bigfoot moves better and they gave up a draft pick.

JLC needs to get off the beat we deserve better!

Archived