Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here ever use a K & N Air Filter?

TK

I just bought a '02 Tahoe on Friday, since my old car was t-boned a few weeks ago. The guy I bought it from informed he had installed a K&N air filter on it recently, but said it was recent enough that he hadn't really noticed a difference in gas mileage or horsepower.

Does the K&N filter make any real difference, or does it not really show up until after changing the exhaust over to Flowmasters? I've been told that the two work really well hand in hand.

And yes, I know the truck looks like a Stormtropper. All gleamimg white with the black accents. :laugh:

5453_1.jpg

I had a K&N filter installed with a new motor and flowmaster dual exhausts in my '77 Chevy stepside. Yes it makes a difference. The throttle response is where you notice it most. I know my truck is carbureated; however, it makes a difference. The best part is you only need to clean it and recharge it every 8-12 months or so. No $30 charges for a paper air filter every 6 months.

The best part is you only need to clean it and recharge it every 8-12 months or so. No $30 charges for a paper air filter every 6 months.

Ok. I was told to just clean it every 50,000 miles. I know I need to use the cleaning oil from K&N to clean it with.

TK, you're a bud, and that's a sweet ride--but as usual amigo, you're just a step or two behind El Coolio ;) :cool:

Now Here's the Real Thing:

tahoeplus2.jpg

tahoeplus.jpg

A few final touches to go, but that's how you do it, little buddy :pimp:

BTW, sound system? :dj:

Try full-blown DOLBY cassette WITH Auto-Reverse and in the cargo- zone we cover the Rock & the Roll with Wards Airline box-speakers from the home rack laying on their back :bow: ---soon to be joined by an endless stream of honey's right alongside, if ya get what I'm piling up ;) :hump:

So keep working on it, dawg. Your role model is here for you. And don't feel intimidated--after all, I am an icon in my own pants. :ladiesman

I just bought a used 2005 Titan that has a Nismo cold air intake on it.

It is the fastest damn thing I have ever driven. I've been told that the CAI adds around 12-14 horsepower.

This is the first vehicle I've had with one and along with the exhaust that is on it (which sounds damn good), I'm loving it.

Here are some pics of mine if I may....

DSCF1744.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

Not trying to rain on the parade here... but many mechanics and guys in the know are saying to stay away from K&N filters, and to only use paper.

While they do have increased airflow, they also allow a lot more particles to pass.

At least that's what I've been hearing.

I was at a club-race not too long ago, and there wasn't a K&N to be found anywhere. Everyone was using paper filters. So apparantly this theory is gaining some traction.

Just 5 years ago you wouldn't have been able to find a car WITHOUT a K&N.

Not trying to rain on the parade here... but many mechanics and guys in the know are saying to stay away from K&N filters, and to only use paper.

While they do have increased airflow, they also allow a lot more particles to pass.

I was at a club-race not too long ago, and there wasn't a K&N to be found anywhere. Everyone was using paper filters. So apparantly this theory is gaining some traction.

Just 5 years ago you wouldn't have been able to find a car WITHOUT a K&N.

Don't worry TK....I got this one....

:nutkick:

:D

Just 5 years ago you wouldn't have been able to find a car WITHOUT a K&N. ...

This is correct and i'm kind of in the know.

And :laugh: @ Jumbos post.

The K & N drop ins don't add much, it's normally the cold air intake with the K & N that adds the difference. Better gas mileage and more horseys. I've never heard of the air filter letting harmful particles in the intake. I'm getting one for my 04 Dodge Ram to go along with my dual flowmasters.

Ok. I was told to just clean it every 50,000 miles. I know I need to use the cleaning oil from K&N to clean it with.

I have never let mine go for more than a year. Although I'm in Florida now, the truck is in Utah. All the miles were in desert/dusty areas so I would clean mine more often. I've never had a problem with it. I was told by my mechanic when I had it installed that the dirtier it gets, the better it filters our particulate. :2cents:

Not only do you need the oil, you need the K&N spray cleaner as well. All you do is spray the material in the filter with the cleaner and then hose it out. The oil is reddish in color. Once you remove all the dirt AND old oil. Let the filter dry for a few hours and then spray the oil (heavily) onto the filter. The filter will take on a red color. Make sure you get the oil in all of the creases on both inside and outside the filter.

Archived