Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Raiders cheat in Super Bowl XVIII?

Beauty is Only

for what it is worth..I used to live in Central NY during those days..and we had an AppleII program that picked Football games to bet in the old USFL..

this program gave star-rated picks and it provided like 9-10 5-star picks all season and they won every time..I got to be good friends with a Bar owner and would give him the info every week..and habitually patronized the bar..one customer was a trucker from Chicago..who claimed he was hooked-up..mob wise..and we would talk

after the Skins beat the Rams..in the Conf Championship..we were in Al's on our regular day...I had just won a huge bet on the blow-out and was feeling large about our Skins..

the trucker..told me..and I swear on my Mother's life this is the truth..he warned me not to bet on the Skins..because the game was fixed..that he even said there would be a screen pass before the half..that would turn the game into a blow-out..that Joe Washington..Joe Theismann ..and somebody I don't believe..Art Monk were on the take..I think that he said Art's name..because we were in East Syracuse..and everyone loves Art up there..

but I swear he called the screen pass..and I lost everything I had won on the Rams..plus juice..

so out of all of this..a.)..yes I used to be a degenerate gambler..lol

b.) I use to drink..a fair amount of Beer..

my only defense..in Syracuse..there is absolutely nothing to do..in the winter :cheers:

1. Ridiculous. Questioning the integrity of the Super Bowl is a step I'm not willing to take - the implications are too frightening.

2. A whopping SEVENTY-NINE periods in your post. You should have had ELEVEN. That's sixty-eight extra. Even gynecologists don't see that many messed up periods.

for what it is worth..I used to live in Central NY during those days..and we had an AppleII program that picked Football games to bet in the old USFL..

this program gave star-rated picks and it provided like 9-10 5-star picks all season and they won every time..I got to be good friends with a Bar owner and would give him the info every week..and habitually patronized the bar..one customer was a trucker from Chicago..who claimed he was hooked-up..mob wise..and we would talk

after the Skins beat the Rams..in the Conf Championship..we were in Al's on our regular day...I had just won a huge bet on the blow-out and was feeling large about our Skins..

the trucker..told me..and I swear on my Mother's life this is the truth..he warned me not to bet on the Skins..because the game was fixed..that he even said there would be a screen pass before the half..that would turn the game into a blow-out..that Joe Washington..Joe Theismann ..and somebody I don't believe..Art Monk were on the take..I think that he said Art's name..because we were in East Syracuse..and everyone loves Art up there..

but I swear he called the screen pass..and I lost everything I had won on the Rams..plus juice..

so out of all of this..a.)..yes I used to be a degenerate gambler..lol

b.) I use to drink..a fair amount of Beer..

my only defense..in Syracuse..there is absolutely nothing to do..in the winter :cheers:

i loved every inch of that story ... THANKS. :applause:

1. Ridiculous. Questioning the integrity of the Super Bowl is a step I'm not willing to take - the implications are too frightening.

2. A whopping SEVENTY-NINE periods in your post. You should have had ELEVEN. That's sixty-eight extra. Even gynecologists don't see that many messed up periods.

Why are you wasting time counting periods, are you the period police? :laugh:

My first year as a Skins fan (actually, sports fan, even) was '82, and I was 8 years old. What a magical start! By the end of the '83 season, in my naive childhood mind the Skins were like superheroes, absolutely invincible, and I must have thought that every season would have a Hollywood, storybook ending. When we lost to the Raiders, I became physically ill and was crying uncontrollably, vomiting in the toilet for about 2 hours after the game, because I was so traumatized. I even missed school the next day.

It's 24 years later, and while I now live near Oakland, I still harbor a pretty massive grudge against that franchise.

My first year as a Skins fan (actually, sports fan, even) was '82, and I was 8 years old. What a magical start! By the end of the '83 season, in my naive childhood mind the Skins were like superheroes, absolutely invincible, and I must have thought that every season would have a Hollywood, storybook ending. When we lost to the Raiders, I became physically ill and was crying uncontrollably, vomiting in the toilet for about 2 hours after the game, because I was so traumatized. I even missed school the next day.

It's 24 years later, and while I now live near Oakland, I still harbor a pretty massive grudge against that franchise.

How do you cry and get sick over a football game? I don't care if you were only 8.

Despite that loss I still think that was one of the best teams to ever be fielded. What was the turnover ratio that year...something like +43, insane. We lost two games before that Super Bowl by one point each, both on Monday Night.

No no fix...just an aXX whoopin

You know what, I would believe anything at this point. That team, historically, probably would have been rated by many as the best football team ever had we won the Superbowl. Even without winning it, they are still considered one of the best teams ever. Let me tell you something, great teams who don't turn it over, like that '83 team, don't lose by wide margins. Something definitely doesn't seem right, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Have you guys who watched that game ever hoped, or still hope, to meet them in the Super Bowl again simply for payback?

Not anymore.

Too much time has passed and Al Davis is now just a senile old man.

If we happened to play them, then yeah I would feel a bit of vindication for that 83 team. But I no longer have the Raiders franchise high up on my wish list of potential Super Bowl victims.

As for the thread, the Raiders didn't cheat the Skins just picked the wrong day to play their worst game in nearly two years.

Everyone seems to forget that the Skins had played the Raiders once that season already...and barely won 37-35. In fact, the Raiders were up 35-20 in the 4th before choking, and felt like they were the better team and should have won but they screwed up at the end.

The Raiders were determined not to let it happen again. Had the Raiders won that game, both teams would have been 13-3 going into the Super Bowl.

But I'm sure the hangovers that Riggins and co. were experiencing had some effect on the game too.:)

How do you cry and get sick over a football game? I don't care if you were only 8.

I think Skins fans of all ages were physically sick that night. There was something in the air in 83 that I've never felt during any other season, even 91. I don't think any group of fans was ever shocked so much by a championship loss as Skins fans were that year. I still remember a little article in the Post titled 'Irate Redskins Fan Kicks in TV'.

I doubt there was any fix in.

Tom Flores had his guys ready to play. Joe Gibbs did not. Period.

That game still makes me sick. If we'd taken care of business and won it the way we should have, they'd be talking about Washington being the team of the 80's... not the stinking 49'ers.

//although Bill Walsh was still a hell of a coach

///and DeBartolo was a good owner

Even if there was a bad call, it made no difference in the game. It was a butt-whuppin' from just before the half til the end of the game.

That's the only Super Bowl I attended in person. It's also the last since I can't afford the price of the ticket these days. Back then, I paid face value for the tickets, which was $60 or $75.

haha 68 I guess you own him a period.

For the record, Riggo had the flu pretty badly that week, and I think it had hit several other players, which obviously hurt.

Mainly, though, the Raiders just made some big plays. The blocked punt (where they spotted a weakness in our blocking scheme) and the INT TD (we had used the exact same play in the reg season meeting-probably the bigest play of that game- and they were prepared for it this time).

No cheating. We were outplayed and outcoached.

Archived