Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Raiders cheat in Super Bowl XVIII?

Beauty is Only

In a few Extremeskins threads, I have seen mention made of possible foul play on the part of the Raiders in regards to Super Bowl XVIII (Raiders 38, Redskins 9). Does anyone have any information regarding these allegations?

I seem to recall that some have said that both Joe Gibbs (in private conversations) and Art Monk (in a public address) seemed to think there was something fishy going on that caused the game to be the blowout it was. Please post any information you may have on this. I've done a few web searches but have found nothing of consequence.

In a few Extremeskins threads, I have seen mention made of possible foul play on the part of the Raiders in regards to Super Bowl XVIII (Raiders 38, Redskins 9). Does anyone have any information regarding these allegations?

I seem to recall that some have said that both Joe Gibbs (in private conversations) and Art Monk (in a public address) seemed to think there was something fishy going on that caused the game to be the blowout it was. Please post any information you may have on this. I've done a few web searches but have found nothing of consequence.

for what it is worth..I used to live in Central NY during those days..and we had an AppleII program that picked Football games to bet in the old USFL..

this program gave star-rated picks and it provided like 9-10 5-star picks all season and they won every time..I got to be good friends with a Bar owner and would give him the info every week..and habitually patronized the bar..one customer was a trucker from Chicago..who claimed he was hooked-up..mob wise..and we would talk

after the Skins beat the Rams..in the Conf Championship..we were in Al's on our regular day...I had just won a huge bet on the blow-out and was feeling large about our Skins..

the trucker..told me..and I swear on my Mother's life this is the truth..he warned me not to bet on the Skins..because the game was fixed..that he even said there would be a screen pass before the half..that would turn the game into a blow-out..that Joe Washington..Joe Theismann ..and somebody I don't believe..Art Monk were on the take..I think that he said Art's name..because we were in East Syracuse..and everyone loves Art up there..

but I swear he called the screen pass..and I lost everything I had won on the Rams..plus juice..

so out of all of this..a.)..yes I used to be a degenerate gambler..lol

b.) I use to drink..a fair amount of Beer..

my only defense..in Syracuse..there is absolutely nothing to do..in the winter :cheers:

Well we all know that the Raiders is a bunch of cheaters :laugh: . Seriously no it was a case of the Redskins believed their own hype I mean they were the defending superbowl champs. They went out partying all night while the Raiders were studying film and gameplan. The Redskins went in to that game not prepared at all and it showed.

We got our tails kicked from one side of the field to the other. They won that game it appeared they did know the plays it seem like they were in our huddle but the Raiders were well prepared.

Cheat? I wish it were so easy to blame that horrible loss on cheating.

A blocked punt for a touchdown...the Squirek interception...Marcus Allen's 74 yd TD run...ugh, so many horrible plays from that day. I'd believe we threw the game before I'd ever believe the Raiders cheated :laugh: . We just plain sucked that day...

and where the hell was Darrell G on that run by Marcus...he should have caught him from behind....maybe Al paid some janitor stooge to remove all the tootsie rolls from Green's locker. :)

Darrell was caught up in the pile near center field and couldn't get untangled in time to be involved in the play. That said, I have heard Darrell specifically say (in public) that he gave up on that play and regretted that he did. I have no idea if he could have caught Allen, but needless to say, he was (and still is) quite a bit faster than Allen was.

I heard a lot of the mentioned rumors minus any actual players possibly on the take. However, we all know the amount of money tied to sports gambling/mafia and the recent basketball official busted does make one wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I guess as a diehard skins fan or football fan in general it's hard for me to even allow that idea to draw any consideration..if we were talking about some past boxing event then that would be an entirely different story! :)

Art Monk as actually quoted as saying they seem to know all their plays and formations. Art Monk was basically insinuating that the Raiders got ahold of our playbook.

Its been said that is why some writers don't want to vote him in the HOF because he came out said the Raiders cheated right after the super bowl.

Art Monk as actually quoted as saying they seem to know all their plays and formations. Art Monk was basically insinuating that the Raiders got ahold of our playbook.

Its been said that is why some writers don't want to vote him in the HOF because he came out said the Raiders cheated right after the super bowl.

I had heard something to this effect. Got a link or reference to where/when Art said this?

Archived