Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If The Spurrier Era Didnt Exist

SkinsNoles21

Imagine if Joe Gibbs arrived following the one year stint of Marty Schottenheimer, where would this team be?

The thing that stands out to me the most would be the way Stephen Davis was treated. Instead of having to trade Champ to get Portis, Joe Gibbs would have had the power back he wanted, at least for a year or two, and would have been able to hold on to Champ. The team that Marty coached wasnt all that bad and finished the year 8-3 after an ugly 0-5 start. If Gibbs would have taken over that roster as opposed to the one Spurrier gutted and replaced with no-talented former Gators, we could be a lot further along right now.

What are some other positions/players you think would be different had Gibbs followed up Marty?

For me, it was Davis and Champ.

Champ still wouldn't be here.

Maybe...if he wanted out he wanted out...but instead of a running back...what do we acquire?

A whole hell of a lot thats for sure.

I love Portis dont get me wrong he is our backbone...but things would have been a lot different if Gibbs would have avoided those years in the ATL and come straight to Washington.

I'm actually always wonder what the team would have like had they giving Marty another year.

I'm with you on this one. As was mentioned in the original post, Marty's team finished strong. One year is not enough to evaluate an NFL coach, particularly a .500 year with signs of promise.

Maybe...if he wanted out he wanted out...but instead of a running back...what do we acquire?

A whole hell of a lot thats for sure.

I love Portis dont get me wrong he is our backbone...but things would have been a lot different if Gibbs would have avoided those years in the ATL and come straight to Washington.

I don't get it. You seem to downplay the importance of a RB in the first part of your post, but then say that CP is our backbone.

If we gave Schotty another year, we would be a perennial playoff contender. That team really had the talent and heart to do well. Now don't get me wrong, with Schotty at the helm, we would have gotten nowhere fast in the playoffs, but I think if he had one more year we would have improved. Hell, if we had given Spurrier one more year we would have improved; I mean to go 7-9 as a rookie head coach is still pretty impressive.

I'm actually always wonder what the team would have like had they giving Marty another year.

I agree I thought Marty had us going in the right direction and we were ready to be a good team for some years.

Would it have been nice if he got LT here? What about Merriman? But we would all be enduring what his is record has been like in the playoffs; miserable!

:helmet:

If we gave Schotty another year, we would be a perennial playoff contender. That team really had the talent and heart to do well. Now don't get me wrong, with Schotty at the helm, we would have gotten nowhere fast in the playoffs, but I think if he had one more year we would have improved. Hell, if we had given Spurrier one more year we would have improved; I mean to go 7-9 as a rookie head coach is still pretty impressive.

8-8 and he was not a rookie head coach; just an old ball coach returning for the money.

I don't get it. You seem to downplay the importance of a RB in the first part of your post, but then say that CP is our backbone.

no...What im saying is...if we didnt have Portis, wed have Stephen Davis...not right now obviously but the year Schott was our coach Stephen Davis was unreal. What im saying is, Gibbs would have wanted to retain Davis.

If we had retained Davis and Champ wanted out...we could have loaded up at another spot and then drafted a running back or acquired one in a year or two once Davis was finished.

If Marty had another year, I believe the Skins would have gone 10-6 with a first round playoff win, but not much farther.

If Gibbs were here, he would have used Stephen Davis, as you point out. He also would have signed Mark Brunell to a contract while he still had a little juice left. Patrick Ramsey, Shane Mathews and Danny Woeful would not have been here. LaVar Arrington would have had his conflicts with Dale Lindsey that much sooner.

Champ Bailey may or may not have stayed. There would have been less turmoil in the FO, which was a big reason why he wanted out. On the other hand, Lav Coles and Rod Gardner didn't like what they saw of the offense and wanted out. Bailey might have felt the same.

Personally I think that Marty would still be here if the Spurrier Era didn't exist. Yeah, we finished 8-8 that year, but that was a stellar improvement over what we had been seeing in years before.

As happy as I am that we have Gibbs now, getting rid of Marty was an imbecile move on Snyder's part.

Why does this keep coming back every couple months... :doh:

Schotferbrains had the EASIEST schedule in the NFL in 2001, the team had almost no injuries, and he still couldn't produce a winning record.

He didn't finish the year strongly - we went 3-3 in our last six games. We actually give Herr Marty more credit than he deserve BECAUSE he started out 0-5, despite playing some VERY pathetic teams in the first few games. The reason our record improved is because he actually discovered we could run the ball. He spent the first 6 games insisting on a horizontal passing game despite the fact that we didn't have any QB who could run a WCO, we had a WR who was one year removed from leading the NFL in YPC, and we had the best power running back in the NFL. Given our level of talent and lack of injuries, it's a testament to the man's complete moronic inflexibility that we didn't win at least 10 games that year. Hell, even SOS would've won more.

Schothead was also a PUTRID GM. One decent draft choice Smoot, who only fell because of a bogus pot charge. Rod Gardner instead of Moss, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith... And all the other picks were complete busts. He cut Larry Centers, and gave mega contracts to yes-men scrubs like Lockett and Donnell Bennett. And he passed on Trent Dilfer to sign Tony Banks. :dunce:

Gibbs has already won more playoff games since coming back than Schothead has won in the last decade.

By the way, Davis would've been on his way out by the time Gibbs got here anyway. He had a great year in '03 when he carried Carolina into the postseason, but he hasn't stayed healthy since.

getting rid of Marty was an imbecile move on Snyder's part.

Can any of Snyder's moves be described as anything other than "imbecile"?

Sure, we all know Schottzy is 5-13 in the playoffs and is pretty conservative on offense. The '01 team started out 0-5 and looked ugly doing it: losing by 27, 37, and 32 points in the first 3 games.

But he won 8 of the last 11...just like another guy named Joe Gibbs. And we all know what Gibbs did in his 2nd year, but Snydork didn't give Marty the chance. Dan was still mad that Marty got rid of Cerrato, I guess, since the first thing he did was re-hire him after Marty got his pink slip.

I'm with you on this one. As was mentioned in the original post, Marty's team finished strong. One year is not enough to evaluate an NFL coach, particularly a .500 year with signs of promise.

I was not in favor of the Mart deal when it first happened but, he did get things headed in the right direction. So I to wonder what if?

Archived