Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If The Spurrier Era Didnt Exist

SkinsNoles21

I'm not very familiar with Marty's one year stint. Why was he let go on an 8-8 record (which isn't bad by NFC standards)? I always thought highly of him that is why I'm asking.

Marty was the most prominent available coach when Snyder hired him, sorta like Bill Cowher is now. To lure him to the Redskins, Snyder offered a five year, $10M contract, with the agreement that Marty would have total control of the roster and on-field decisions.

At the end of the '02 season, Snyder wanted to renegotiate the terms of the contract so that he (Snyder) would resume some control. You know "renegotiate?" What we criticize players for wanting to do before their contracts are over.

Anyway, Marty refused, insisting on control per the agreement. Snyder terminated the contract and paid Schottenheimer the balance of what was due him.

I read somewhere that Snyder already had Spurrier waiting in the wings by that point.

Imagine if Joe Gibbs arrived following the one year stint of Marty Schottenheimer, where would this team be?

The thing that stands out to me the most would be the way Stephen Davis was treated. Instead of having to trade Champ to get Portis, Joe Gibbs would have had the power back he wanted, at least for a year or two, and would have been able to hold on to Champ. The team that Marty coached wasnt all that bad and finished the year 8-3 after an ugly 0-5 start. If Gibbs would have taken over that roster as opposed to the one Spurrier gutted and replaced with no-talented former Gators, we could be a lot further along right now.

What are some other positions/players you think would be different had Gibbs followed up Marty?

For me, it was Davis and Champ.

Champ wouldn't be here; Davis would be long gone due to injury; Bill Cowher would be head coach.

I'm actually always wonder what the team would have like had they giving Marty another year.

Historically, Marty's teams have done better for him from year two, onward.

Given how weak the Cowboys and the Giants were at the time, we could well have been a wild card team in 2002 with him. We certainly had a problem at QB though.

Given how weak the Cowboys and the Giants were at the time, we could well have been a wild card team in 2002 with him. We certainly had a problem at QB though.

Funny thing is, we probably would have still ended up with Ramsey, tho I don't think Marty would have had the wherewithal to trade back like Vinny did.

Jason

To me, getting to the playoffs on a perennial basis is very important. If you get to the playoffs, you have a shot at going to the superbowl. Marty gave us that chance. IMHO, Marty Schottenheimer has just been unlucky in the superbowl. Bill Cowher worked under him, and look how long it took him to win the superbowl. I want a team like the steelers that are always good every year. What's the point of talking about superbowl if we can't even get to the playoffs?

To me, getting to the playoffs on a perennial basis is very important. If you get to the playoffs, you have a shot at going to the superbowl. Marty gave us that chance. IMHO, Marty Schottenheimer has just been unlucky in the superbowl. Bill Cowher worked under him, and look how long it took him to win the superbowl. I want a team like the steelers that are always good every year. What's the point of talking about superbowl if we can't even get to the playoffs?

Marty has never made it to a super bowl.

He lost three conference championships over the years and has a 5-13 playoff record.
you cant win in the playoffs if you dont make it and Marty was a coach that can make it to the playoffs

i would rather go to the playoffs every year and lose in the 1st or 2nd round then be a 5-11 or 6-10 team that stays home after week 17

Marty made it 13 times in 20 full seasons as a head coach and was one and done nine of those times.

Yeah, well we've made it 2 times in 15 seasons, so I fail to see how Marty is too inferior for us.

If Marty had been our coach in 2002-03, I guarantee you that the cupboard would not have been so bare in 2004.

If Marty had been smart, he would have:

1. Cut Jeff George and re-upped Brad Johnson (still pissed he left)

2. Drafted Steve Hutchinson in the first round (still pissed we picked Gardner)

3. Not let Larry Centers, Ndukwe Kalu, Derek Smith, James Thrash, Andy Heck, Tre Johnson, and Mike Sellers walk (still pissed that our home-grown blue collar guys walked)

4. Re-upped Shawn Barber to a long-term deal (still pissed we signed him for the 1 year qualifying deal)

5. Signed Simeon Rice (still pissed we didn't go after someone younger to replace Marco Coleman)

6. Made Russ Grimm our OC and signed him to a long-term deal (this one gets me boiling hot angry)

A couple of those moves set us back years. I would have done all these things at the time. Hell, I should be our GM.

Some of you either have short memories, or weren't Skins fans then.

The overwhelming feeling when Spurrier came in, was that Marty was OK, but getting Steve Superior was a coup. We brought in the best offensive mind in college, and the best defensive coach in the world at the time (M Lewis).

We were all expecting to KILL people. Snyder made a big move that didn't pay off. The reason he is so successful in business is that he is willing to take risks. You can not make Snyder money without either taking big risks or being astronomically lucky. He's learning to evaluate risk in the NFL now, and it will pay off eventually. It's only a matter of time. Snyder is too smart, creative, and dedicated to winning to not figure it out eventually.

NOBODY knew at the time how bad Spurrier would be in the NFL. Nobody.

It didn't work out, but it was a risk worth taking.

I was a Skins fan then, and I didn't like the handling of the Marty situation AT ALL. I felt like things were going in the right direction, meddling Snyder was out of the picture for the most part (although in reality he couldn't stay away) and our cap situation was under control. Marty should have brought in a GM without Snyder throwing up that ultimatum.

I, for one, never liked Spurrier at Florida and I dreaded him coming to D.C. It was like Deion Sanders all over again.

Archived