Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

thumbs up, thumbs down.. who looked good.. who didnt (merged)

monte55coleman

Thumbs Up:

London Fletcher....I heard he was good but damn if he didn't surpass my expectations.

Laron Landry....Layed the smacketh down :D just as I knew he would.

H.B Blades...I really like this kid.

Todd Collins -he impressed me with that drive.

Byron Westbrook

As far as the Offense goes I'm not panicking after watching this game.

Clinton Portis and Chris Samuels will be back and HEALTHY which will make a difference.The rest I'm certain Coach Buges and Coach Gibbs will rectify Monday morning.

I'm really more happy that The D is back on track :point2sky .

right now this looks like the strongest draft in years

The Defense played very well tonight. They were swarming to the ball. Defensive backs were a step off, but they did not get burned deep.

Jason played well I thought. Could have gotten the ball out of his hands sooner, but he made the right throws and didn't force anything. He looked comfortable in the pocket, even though the rush was coming. The first drive was moving, and I think they would have gotten some points off that drive.

Where was the o-line tonight. I hope it is because they are still getting into football shape. They were slow off the line and were chasing the rushers rather than blocking.

I did like the fact that Gibbs left Jason in for a complete half. He needs the actual game speed experience to test himself on everything that he learned this off season.

HTTR

Brunell is pathetic. I would cut him for sure. Why waste money on the guy when it hurts him to throw the ball 15 yards. I feel fine with collins at number 2. Also I think our oline looked pretty bad tonight. I never really thought jansen was any good. Hopefully getting samuels back and a healthier thomas will help. I thought Jansen looked terrible like much of last year.

Defense looked pretty good though. ST didn't really do anything though. I wish he was a little bit more involved.

Overall it wasn't bad. Campbell threw some nice passes that should have been caught. Im not to worried about his fumbles either...oline needs to pick it up.

I hope to see improvments next week. I hope Lloyd plays. I was also pissed that Cooley pretty much did nothing.

obviously the running game and the o-line are of a concern.. it seems like it's always something, eh? i mean..last year they were both great..this year..not so much..

I mean...I agree...but not really.

The fact is, our heart and sole of the running game was in street clothes, and Betts got very few carries.

On top of that, Samuels isnt out there, Thomas is just now getting back into the flow after surgery, and it was Wade's first game as a guard. Jansen is the key issue on the oline but at the end of the day, its still Jansen. The Redskins arent going to be out there losing a bunch of football games because of him.

The Oline and Buges will get the ship righted. Portis and Betts will be fresh for the regular season and ready to rumble.

I'm not sweating Swish'em's miss. It was from 47 and had plenty of distance just hit the upright. Stuff happens.

HB Blades and Mason also looked good. I wasn't as impressed with Heyer as some of the others. I saw him rocked back on his feet a couple of times. If Jansen doesn't step it up we may be looking at a change there. I'm not sold on a 6'8' guard. a 6'8" tackle is another matter. Fletcher was absolutely awesome. Looks like an outstanding pickup. Rocky M looked promising as well.

Rabach was solid, unfortunately, the two guys to his left, and the two guys to his right, cant say the same.

If Jansen doesn't step it up, I want Todd Wade there. move Jansen to LG, he's 6'6 and 310

I mean...I agree...but not really.

The fact is, our heart and sole of the running game was in street clothes, and Betts got very few carries.

On top of that, Samuels isnt out there, Thomas is just now getting back into the flow after surgery, and it was Wade's first game as a guard. Jansen is the key issue on the oline but at the end of the day, its still Jansen. The Redskins arent going to be out there losing a bunch of football games because of him.

The Oline and Buges will get the ship righted. Portis and Betts will be fresh for the regular season and ready to rumble.

What's wild is, last preseason our running game SUCKED, just like it did today. Betts looked awful last year in the preseason, and of course Portis was on the sideline injured. Fastforward to the end of the regular season and we have the #4 rushing attack in the league lol...

Right now I'm not gonna worry about the O-line or the running attack. But I was NOT happy in any way, shape or form with what I saw from the starters...

Hmm..

Well I saw some of the things I wanted to see. The defense for the most part did well to very well and that is a sigh of relief because a great majority of the games lost last year were from them. So to GW and the staff, that is a definate good thumbs up towards them.

The offense has me a little worried but I really can not judge too much because of the obvious offensive line issues/personel that was shown tonight and lack of starters playing. Therefore, I don't really want to judge JC's performance too much then saying he did average and still has a way to go on dealing with pressure (related to the fumbles). I liked what I saw from Mason and was actually surprised on Todd Collins doing so well, yet he was facing mostly backups and third stringers so I will hold my praise to a minimum because of that.

Next week a lot of my attention will go to the offense as we get more into the thick of things. More inparticular, I'm going to watch our receiver core as well as all three quarterbacks to truly get an idea on a possible sign of things to come. Like I said as for tonight, the defense did good and the offense gets a passing grade but nothing higher because the people that were putting the points up was our third string versus our their third string.

You know. I'm starting to see a trend here. Our Offensive Line guys start off slow, progress a little each game through the season, and become absolute monsters about halfway through until the end.

I really hope they start "getting it" much quicker this time around. They just did NOT look good at all out there. I'm pretty much satisfied with everything else... but man, to see our offensive line like that hurt reaaal bad.

You know what the real BIG thumbs up really is?

ABSOLUTELY NO INJURIES!! That's huge... Jamaal Green I think was the only one with a shoulder injury, but I don't think it was serious. In the end, that's great knowing what happened last year.

Thumbs Up

Defense (shades of 2005!)

Jason Campbell (not bad...he'll be fine!)

No "vanilla" play calling (that was BS last year anyway)

No injuries!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs Down

Offensive Live (They are going to get Jason killed if they don't adjust, also Chris Samuels was out)

More like shades of 2004. We were STOUT against the run.

Thumbs up

The whole defense

Thumbs down

The offensive line

The offensive line problems can be fixed, and I expect them to get fixed, especially when Samuels comes back.

This about sums it up. The O-line needs their butts busted this week. The D looked like they were taking the game seriously like Wynn said they were going to.

In addition - Todd Collins. - I'd like to see him get to play 2nd in our next game. Brunell looks likes like he labors just to throw the ball, where Collins gets rid of the ball quickly and can get it down field.

I'm not too worried about the O-Line. We have veterans who will get it together, and if Jansen's inconsistency is the biggest worry among the starters on the line for this game, then we'll be fine. Once Samuels come back, I think Wade will be a lot more consistent. It helps to have a Pro Bowler getting your back. JC's offseason work has really paid off. I can see a difference, even if it didn't show up in the statistics. He is going through more reads, although I think he held the ball a little too much on a couple plays, but he'll get better with that through reps in the preseason. Everyone looks rusty adjusting to game speed (well except for LF, apparently :)).

I'm hopeful the defense will do well this season. Fletcher look good.

I was disappointed with the offense line and Campbell not holding on to the ball. Granted the O-line got beat, but he shouldn't have fumbled three times. I think he'll learn from it though.

The thing that worries me most is Saunder's playbook. It just didn't work...

Thumbs up:

1. London Fletcher - We all knew he was a seasoned veteran who led the Bills with like 150+ tackles each year, but man.. his intensity today just blew me away. Our defense is in sure hands with him patrolling the field as our MLB. If he caught that first interception it would have been a nice start for the Redskins defense, but it's good to know that this man won't miss many tackles.

2. Anthony Montgomery (Defensive tackle play in general)- He blew up the center a few times, and our defensive tackles overall looked fresh and healthy. THey were keeping the linebackers clean and allowing them to swarm to the ball. Joe Salavea and Golston (batted pass which LFB dropped) also looked good. Any reasons why Golston was playing in the third and fourth quarter? Isn't he supposed to start?

3. Todd Collins - 5 for 5, threw some nice deep passes over the middle and got our offense and team some much needed momentum starting out the preseason.

4. Chris Wilson (backup defensive ends in general) Number 77 was just tearing up the Titans' backup olineman. He made a nice stop on a running play, he drew a holding penalty toward the end of the game on a stunt, and he suprisingly got some pressure using a bull rush, despite being undersized. I thought Buzbee and Hickman also looked good in limited duty. Hickman made a heads up play in pushing Rattay away from the fumbled snap, which ultimately allowed Westbrook to score.

5. Laron Landry- Man.. I hope Gregg Williams blitzes him as much as he can. He crushed Collins on that one blitz. He seems like an explosive tackler and will make a difference in stuffing the run and getting some pressure.

Thumbs DOWN:

1. Jon Jansen (Redskins Right side in general) Jansen did not play well today. He was blown off the ball and was getting pushed back by undersized defensive ends like Antwan Odom. He also failed to pick up a stunt. Randy Thomas didn't look like his old self, as we didn't pick up many yards when we ran behind them.

2. Mark Brunell - He is awful.

3. Jason Fabini- Looked horrible.

4. Shaun Suisham - Missed a 47 year field goal and had a kickoff go out of bounds. I think he had one go out of bounds last week as well.. Not good.

5. Ade Jimoh - You know I love him as a special teams gunner, but in coverage, he's as good as burnt toast.

So - so: Stephon Heyer, Todd Wade, Redskins Starting secondary. Wade and Heyer held up in pass blocking, but we struggled as a whole in the running game.

Also it was nice to see Clinton jumping up and down when we got that second surprise touchdown. The way he was jumping, it didn't look like his tendonitis is that serious.

:applause: I can't debate this post, thought it summed it up nicely Monte.

I am guessing the absence of Samuels disrupts the whole line. I just can't imagine why Jansen would struggle so much.

Archived