Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

thumbs up, thumbs down.. who looked good.. who didnt (merged)

monte55coleman

Thumbs up for:

Frost -- Good punting

Defense: Solid linebacker player, solid coverage (except Jimoh) good D-line pressure

Collins -- showed how to run the offense

Edwards -- the backup TE with several key catches for the win

Mason -- good goal-line running

Thumbs down to:

Back-up WRs -- Trouble getting open, hanging onto the passes

Jimoh's DB coverage -- Why are we even giving him looks? We already know what he can't do.

O-line protection: Backups are not up to snuff, line is a little slow in getting up to NFL season form.

Running game: Some backup depth, but need an O-line to show their stuff

Campbell: Not really a thumbs down, but performance-wise I was unhappy with how JC's 'flashes' were out-weighed by his 'fizzles.' Bottom line was JC created zero points, but did have turnovers. JC needs to get rid of the ball more quickly, or learn how to hang onto it better when he gets hit. I did like some of the passes he made though, even though not all were completed.

Special teams coverage -- uneven!!

Special ":applause: " recognition to-- Lorenzo Alexander (rookie DT backup) for going after the QB even though his helmet got ripped off. (I heard he'll need stitches for multiple lacerations to his face.) In his second live practice, Alexander found yet another way to stand out; in the scrimmage with the Ravens, I recall he he forced a fumble. In short, Alexander has shown the ability to create DT pressure up the middle, when he gets a chance to play.

The defense was awesome, the offense looked like they had a QB who has only played in 7 games. Alot of stuff to work on for sure, this is what preseason games are for......I never give individual awards for a preseason game.

Alarming stat of the night...

We dropped back to pass 28 times and we were sacked 4 times

They dropped back to pass 38 times and we did not get one single sack

Maybe it was Tenn's playcalling, but it seemed to me that most of thier starting offenses passes were short. Was our secondary covering well? I WAS only 1/2 heartedly watching as I was doing other stuff....................honey do do list. remember it was 6:00 here start time

the defense played pretty soft most of the night, allowing them to throw short. - Maybe Williams was trying something?

Yes he was trying the same thing that got us only 19 sacks the whole year in 06. Look I said they played well, with alot to work on, but not getting to the QB in 38 pass attempts is not very good, short passing or not. If I remember correctly they had at least a dozen pass plays over 10 yards and a few of 20+ yards, so there was time to get to the QB.

Thumbs up--Defense overall

Thumbs down--predictable running plays. The Titans' defenders were shifting to the side of the ball we were running to because every time we put someone in motion we ran to that side. Oh and Ade Jimoh, he is the worst player that played at all yesterday, I don't care about what he can do on the ST unit, we have plenty of talent on ST in Blades, Campbell, Thrash, ST, Mike Sellers, etc.

So-so--Special Teams.

Yes he was trying the same thing that got us only 19 sacks the whole year in 06. Look I said they played well, with alot to work on, but not getting to the QB in 38 pass attempts is not very good, short passing or not. If I remember correctly they had at least a dozen pass plays over 10 yards and a few of 20+ yards, so there was time to get to the QB.

I was thinking more that he wanted to test his players somehow. - D coordinators do that a lot in pre-season - set up players to see how they react. That game plan may have also been geared toward containment, thinking we'd be seeing some Vince Young in there.

The D didn't get any sacks, but they also did't give up any TD's.

Jansen and Brunell!!!! Todd should be given the chance to fight for the back up spot!!

Suisham I would cut some slack because it was his first big kick of the year and he does have the leg to hit a 50++

Umm, yes he does. I was just watching a game (Rams game) last year where he kicked a 52 yarder with plenty of leg left on the kick. Don't throw out garbage just because you're not well informed.

This is my message to the skins and it is simply 6 things.

1. O-LINE STEP UP!!!

2. CBS STOP PLAYING PREVENT DEFENSE GIVING SUCH A BIG CUSHION AND GETTING BURNT FOR FIRST DOWN on 3rd and 9 or whatever..

3. THROW SAUNDERS PLAY BOOK IN THE TRASH. DIDN'T WE GO ON A 6 GAME WIN STREAK WITH JOES BOOK (the injuries on defenses and al saunders offensive philosophy killed this team last year.)

4. SIGN RB MASON

5. D-LINE ..one word SACK SACK SACK SACK SACK SACK SACK..

6. YOU GOTTA HAVE HEART AND FIRE TO BE EXCELLENT AND NOT MEDIOCRE

Thanks

a die hard LOYAL SKINS FAN

:notworthy

Thumbs Up: Defense - Allowing 6 points the whole game, stopping the run.

Defensive MVP : London Fletcher

Thumbs Down: Offensive Line - Allowing too much pressure on the QBs which led to several sacks.

Offensive MVP: Collins - I think hes fond of Al Saunders' offense the most since he worked with him in KC. Props to him bringing us back.

The offense is usually behind the defense at this point. I'll be much more worried if the O doesn't perform better by wk 3 of the preseason. Very excited about improved performance on D. The front 7 performed wel and if that continues, will tae pressure off of the back 4.

I'm one of the biggest pessimists/realists on this board. Here are my thoughts --

-- It was the first preseason game and looked like it on both sides.

-- Our offensive line is the biggest concern.

-- Jansen was the weak link last year and he looked pathetic last night. If he continues to play poorly and Wade continues to struggle, well Bugel may have to think about switching Todd to RT, where he looked very good in one start last year.

-- Our coaches and "front office" put us in a position where there may be only one good guard in camp -- Randy Thomas. The Wade experiment may prove to be a failure. But hey, it's still early.

-- Campbell looked like he had just gone through an easy training camp where everything was half speed. His timing in every way was just off. He also threw a couple big-time passes. I'm not worried about JC and any hand-wringing over him is just pointless. He'll be up and down all year I'm sure but he is our qb no matter what.

-- Brunell looks so limited in what he could do. He used to light it up against scrubs. Last night he looked scared and done. I'm sure Saunders would rather have Collins backing up JC and he might be right.

-- The defense... well they gave me hope. A lot of it. I've been one of the biggest critics of the d-line. It looked much better last night -- much better. And our linebackers looked sensational.

HTTR

Ya gotta love when your punter is right in the thick of things...not waiting back as the last line of defense...oh...and he can force fumbles.

I was miffed when Frost made that tackle/strip. Why is our ONLY punter being allowed to tackle during preseason? He should kick and run off the field immediately. Who punts if Frost gets hurt? And yes, his leg looked good. Pro Bowl good if he can stay healthy.

Thumbs up

The whole defense

Thumbs down

The offensive line

The offensive line problems can be fixed, and I expect them to get fixed, especially when Samuels comes back.

I hope that o-line problem gets fixed soon! My man JC need protection back there....especially the back side!

Archived