Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage: 2007 Training Camp - Day 5 (FINAL)

JimmiJo

I'm probably the only one not surprised by Heyer. I thought he'd be a first round pick not too long ago. He has the credentials, size, and athleticism to absolutely dominate. To this day, I'm not sure why he didn't even get drafted. Anyway, he'll be a starting tackle for this team eventually. Both Samuels and Jansen are getting up there in age, and I'm pretty sure Jansen has only got another two seasons in him. That's plenty of time to groom Heyer.

Very cool JJ. Thanks for all of this coverage so far. I'm excited about some of the quotes by some of these guys and the common theme seems to be physicality which has been Gibbs philosophy since the dawn of time. "Hit everything that moves" came a long time ago before his little spots on NFL Network, that's his motto and always has been. Great work JJ :cheers:

HTTR

The team did something that I have never seen them do in two seasons covering. They began practice moving sideways on the field – from one sideline to the other. They did this I believe to use the defensive players not in the play to shield the practice from the fans so that they could not see what was being run. They practiced running plays during this portion and there was some hard hitting going on.

Near the end of the day the team brought out a little razzle-dazzle for the fans. They ran a flea-flicker and Campbell caught Atwaan Randle El streaking down the left side for a huge gain.

About the portion where they were going sideline to sideline. I had a really good view of it from about the 10 yard line on the facility side. So I don't know if they were really doing that to prevent people from seeing or not. It was really surprising how hard they were hitting there.

The Randle El catch was really amazing. He actually bobbled the ball and it came out as he was falling. He then snatched it out of the air right before it hit the ground and tucked it in and rolled into the corner of the endzone.

Springs was trying to say it was incomplete, as he was beaten on the play, but it was really an amazing catch.

Side note: I got JOE GIBBS and CHRIS COOLEY's autographs!!! :point2sky

They all really took there time to get everyone. Cooley would take his time and actually chat with alot of the people. I also had Rock cartright and Rocky standing directly in front of me but didn't get there sigs.

It looked like most all of the rookies had to do this today except one – no-one here remembers LaRon Landry carrying anything other than his helmet. Damn Millionaires...

Well, to be fair to Laron, I think he has already had more than his fair share of rookie hazing. I would rather carry gear around than get shot in the jewels, myself.

The feel-good story of today has got to Stephon Heyer who filled in for Chris Samuels. This kid let very little past him. He did an excellent job on Andre Carter, so much so that I wanted to ask Carter just one question after; what did he think about Heyer’s play?

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

JimmiJo...You da man! Ask and you shall recieve. Outstanding reporting. Thank you! :cheers: :logo:

Kinda dissapointed in the fans that showed yesterday.

Sportnite mentioned that Carlos Rogers got booed and Redskins.com also mentioned something about Betts being yelled at or booed by a fan for the fumbles last year.

Can anybody there clarify this?

Thanks for being supportive of your team :rolleyes:

I wasn't there for yesterday's practice, but all of us have been surprised that more fans haven't been coming out to the open sessions this year. I guess that's the difference between coming into a season after a 5-11 year versus coming off the playoff run the year before.

Kinda dissapointed in the fans that showed yesterday.

Sportnite mentioned that Carlos Rogers got booed and Redskins.com also mentioned something about Betts being yelled at or booed by a fan for the fumbles last year.

Can anybody there clarify this?

Thanks for being supportive of your team :rolleyes:

There were a group of about 4-5 fans who were being total tools. I figured they were drunk (or retarded). They were very loud. Even when they were praising people it sounded negative ("Come on Cooley, we love you! Now step up!").

Great to see a guy like that, not even drafted, really working for it and seemingly with a good shot to make the roster. Could be a great diamond in the rough.

The funny thing is, whenever you hear about the first team defense owning the first team offense you worry if its just the offenses ineptitude. When its the other way around, you worry that its just the defenses ineptitude. Itll take till preseason before we really know, because until we play someone else, we dont know if we are just that good, or just that bad.

There were a group of about 4-5 fans who were being total tools. I figured they were drunk (or retarded). They were very loud. Even when they were praising people it sounded negative ("Come on Cooley, we love you! Now step up!").

That really sucks. Sounds like rules of etiquette need to be established. Yes, open to the public but if you act like a tool and don't let them do the work, you will be shown the door.

Thanks again for all the reporting and answering of posts. You guys are doing one helluva job keeping those of us that can't get up there in the know.

Archived