Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What does it mean to be a man?

One Shot

DOOG, I'm not going to get into an arguement with you on that topic. I know what my feelings are on the topic, and obviously you and I aren't going to agree on them. Then again, I think we'd disagree on the financial situation between you and your wife as well, so I'll avoid that topic as well.

Let's just leave it at this.... We have very different views of how a family should run.

Mass, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your man card.

And DOOG, you are one hell of a man and I raise my glass to you

I have liked this one for awhile...

The measure of a man is not determined by his show of outward strength, or the volume of his voice, or the thunder of his action.

It is to be seen, rather, in terms of the nature and depth of his commitments, the genuineness of his friendships, the sincerity of his purpose, the quiet courage of his convictions, his capacity to suffer, and his willingness to continue to mature.

----Poulard---

To answer the original question, being a man means several things

• Being able to take care of yourself and adapt to new surroundings
  • Being able to take care of those that depend on you
  • Being able to admit when you're wrong
  • Being able to try and better yourself every day
  • Being able to admit that no matter how smart you are, there is always someone who is able to teach you something
  • Being able to be there for your family

The measure of a man is not determined by his show of outward strength, or the volume of his voice, or the thunder of his action.

It is to be seen, rather, in terms of the nature and depth of his commitments, the genuineness of his friendships, the sincerity of his purpose, the quiet courage of his convictions, his capacity to suffer, and his willingness to continue to mature.

----Poulard---

That about covers it right there Jumbo. I've always like that quote.

Mass, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your man card.

When you get out of the diapers and start living in the real world, let me know. MAYBE, just MAYBE then I'll start listening to a little boy about what a Man is. Then again considering the way you children are taught these days I'm not sure anyone in your generation will ever truly be a Man in my eyes.

He's more of a man than you'll ever be.

I'm surprised Dean, those are harsh words.

Then again considering the way you children are taught these days I'm not sure anyone in your generation will ever truly be a Man in my eyes.

:rolleyes:

Like yo, what makes a real man is his sexual prowess. How many women he can conquer and how far he can spread his seed? The answer to that question usually is a funciton of a dude's genetic makeup. The better the genes, the better you'll be successful and the more women will want to breed with you. It's pretty simple...cut and dry even...but that's what being a real man is all about. The rest of what folks have been posting in this thread is just feel good, smokefilled, coffehouse crap.

If women don't want you, if you're genetically impotent, or infertile, then you ain't a man, because nature has selected you out. That simple. I know that ain't nice, i know it ain't PC, but I figure I'd post what everyone really thinks but is too cautious to say.

yip

Don't roll your eyes at me. I can probably count on one hand the number of recent high school graduates I know who I would consider Men in the last half decade. In my class of 153 high school graduates in 1992 (about 60% male -40% female), I'd suggest there were probably about a dozen of us I would have considered Men. The further back in time I look the more I find. I'm guessing that pretty soon I won't be able to find ANY high school graduates who would meet the criteria I have for a Man.

Don't roll your eyes at me. I can probably count on one hand the number of recent high school graduates I know who I would consider Men in the last half decade. In my class of 153 high school graduates in 1992 (about 60% male -40% female), I'd suggest there were probably about a dozen of us I would have considered Men. The further back in time I look the more I find. I'm guessing that pretty soon I won't be able to find ANY high school graduates who would meet the criteria I have for a Man.

I agree with almost all of the criteria you have stated for being a man.

So as different as we are, we are also probably very much alike. Well, I don't -play dress up with swords and all, and I don't have any problem with women working.

Like yo, what makes a real man is his sexual prowess. How many women he can conquer and how far he can spread his seed? The answer to that question usually is a funciton of a dude's genetic makeup. The better the genes, the better you'll be successful and the more women will want to breed with you. It's pretty simple...cut and dry even...but that's what being a real man is all about. The rest of what folks have been posting in this thread is just feel good, smokefilled, coffehouse crap.

If women don't want you, if you're genetically impotent, or infertile, then you ain't a man, because nature has selected you out. That simple. I know that ain't nice, i know it ain't PC, but I figure I'd post what everyone really thinks but is too cautious to say.

yip

Is my sarcasm meter broken, or is this really the most ignorant post of the day?

----Poulard---

Im quite fond of that one too, Jumbo.

This isn't what you had said earlier. Earlier you said that you don't think anyone in our generation will ever be a man in your eyes. Now you're saying you don't think you'll be able to find a high school graduate who is a man in your eyes. I can understand your later statement, hell, I'm almost a high school graduate and I don't think I'm going to be a man by the time I AM a high school graduate. But to say that 10 years from now I still won't be a man? Because of how I'm taught? that's what I'm rolling my eyes at, and I've got damn good parents, MSF.....

This isn't what you had said earlier. Earlier you said that you don't think anyone in our generation will ever be a man in your eyes. Now you're saying you don't think you'll be able to find a high school graduate who is a man in your eyes. I can understand your later statement, hell, I'm almost a high school graduate and I don't think I'm going to be a man by the time I AM a high school graduate. But to say that 10 years from now I still won't be a man? Because of how I'm taught? that's what I'm rolling my eyes at, and I've got damn good parents, MSF.....

To be totally honest with you, it's always been my feeling that what a person is when they graduate high school is a pretty good indicator of what they're going to to be down the road. Very few people that I've ever met or heard of got MORE Moral and Ethical after leaving high school; though I've know a boatload who've gone the other way.

I'm sure you've got wonderful parents and a great school system, One Shot. Unfortunately it's not a matter of what you're TAUGHT... it's a matter of what you BELIEVE and how you ACT. I'm the product of a very good, though exceptionally Liberal school system as well. Thankfully I didn't buy into all the BS I got taught. That's where the difference lies, at least so far as I am concerned.

I'm surprised Dean, those are harsh words.

think about it, we're comparing a real man who's doing whatever it takes to raise his children in the best manner possible to a primadonna whiner that probably lives with his mother (admitted that he's counting on her estate for his inheritance) hates women, will never have kids and sits around feeling sorry for himself because a birthmark, yet is an expert on what it takes to "be a man" :rolleyes:.

think about it, we're comparing a real man who's doing whatever it takes to raise his children in the best manner possible to a primadonna whiner that probably lives with his mother (admitted that he's counting on her estate for his inheritance) hates women, will never have kids and sits around feeling sorry for himself because a birthmark, yet is an expert on what it takes to "be a man" :rolleyes:.

No I mean I understand the issue with what he said to DOOG, I was just surprised that you came right out and said it in such a way, thats all.

Archived