Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick indicted on felony charges (superdupermegamerge)

turbodiesel#44

It all depends on how many people are willing to implicate Vick directly. Somebody is going to take a hard fall for this but my guess is that it isn't going to be Vick. One of his posse will take the brunt of this to keep the money train flowing. I think the plea bargain for either no jail time or a small amount of jail time is more likely. Vick is going to get some very high-priced attornies who will do whatever it takes to keep him from doing hard time. I'm betting that one of his buds will get 5 years and be out in 2 and have a nice bank roll waiting for him.
I hope not. I hope he is made an example from this.

He is hosed. There is over a 95% conviction rate in federal cases.

To the Hokie Homer who keeps screaming "innocent until proven guility": you don't know what you are talking about. That phrase refers to the burden of proof at trial, which rests with the prosecutor, not the defendant. It is a legal principle that about what quantum of proof must be shown before the state can convict an individual for crimes.

It does not mean that an individual is in fact innocent until prove otherwise. He can very well be guilty now. He just can't be convicted until the state proves it.

You are conflating legal principles regarding burdens of prof with moral condemnations based on evidence.

I'll try to pick my quotes more carefully for you next time, my bad.

If Vick was a Boilermaker, I probably wouldn't be coming to his defense like this. But I certainly wouldn't be willing to lock him up and throw away the key like you and your ilk are willing to do.................before this thing even gets to trial.

My ilk? :laugh:

Your ilk is the problem. You are here defending Vick, not b/c you know he is some good decent person, or b/c of some inside knowedge you have of his innocence.

You are here defending him b/c he went to your college.

Period. End of sentence.

What kind of defense is that? "Vick couldn't of possibly done this b/c he went to Virginia Tech".

:wtf:

Face it. If Vick were a former Demon Deacon or Tar Heel, you'd be right here, ready to throw that key away at his conviction along with the rest of this 'ilk'. :)

And I noticed that you didn't dispute my charge that if Vick DOES get convicted, and if he got convicted of 49 other charges, you would still be here defending him.

Not b/c of any legal stances, but b/c he is your Virginia Tech boy.

So get off your high horse. It is too glaringly Hokie purple. :)

They released a statement yesterday that they will continue to support their players and coaches.

Now they may have a changed of heart, but that sounds like a "we'll keep" statement.

The Falcons statement was hardly "support" for Vick. They don't even mention that they will support Vick specifically - just their players and coaches "as the season opens."

Besides, they have no choice to keep him unless they want to blow up their cap. Ask yourself why Pacman is still a Titan? Answer: $$$. Once these idiots are convincted, the team can go after their bonus money. Pacman had something like 14 mill and Vick I believe was in the 30 mill range for upfront dollars. Releasing either player now means they lose the right to go after the bonus money.

It all depends on how many people are willing to implicate Vick directly. Somebody is going to take a hard fall for this but my guess is that it isn't going to be Vick. One of his posse will take the brunt of this to keep the money train flowing. I think the plea bargain for either no jail time or a small amount of jail time is more likely. Vick is going to get some very high-priced attornies who will do whatever it takes to keep him from doing hard time. I'm betting that one of his buds will get 5 years and be out in 2 and have a nice bank roll waiting for him.

From ESPN:

Would Vick be sent to jail if he is convicted?

Yes. It's hard to imagine any other outcome. The charges are serious, and the evidence against Vick presented at trial will be nasty. The government's case includes evidence that Vick and his cohorts "tested" pit bulls for ferocity. If the dogs failed the test, the indictment charges, they were executed by hanging or drowning. In one case, with Vick present, the indictment says a dog was slammed to the ground until it was dead. In another incident, a dog was soaked with a hose and then electrocuted. Those aren't the sort of transgressions that lead to probation and community service. It's the kind of behavior that results in punishment, and the punishment will be jail time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940312

The Falcons statement was hardly "support" for Vick. They don't even mention that they will support Vick specifically - just their players and coaches "as the season opens."

Besides, they have no choice to keep him unless they want to blow up their cap. Ask yourself why Pacman is still a Titan? Answer: $$$. Once these idiots are convincted, the team can go after their bonus money. Pacman had something like 14 mill and Vick I believe was in the 30 mill range for upfront dollars. Releasing either player now means they lose the right to go after the bonus money.

Ummm....and. I don't believe you said anything different from me. You just threw in some cap issues....

I am ashamed of myself, but only because you say so.

:laugh:

And the fact that you think I SHOULD be ashamed of myself indicates that you already see Vick as guilty.

Contradicting one of the founding tenets of this great country, Todd? You should be ashamed of yourself.

I never did it. Not only is your position shameful, but your reading skills are apparently horrible. You are in the wrong, and in an indefensible position. Stop wasting the board's time by attempting to spin yourself out of this one.

I didn't realize the Rocket Docket is two blocks away from me. I work in the James Center in downtown RIC and I walk by the courts building every day at lunch. I wonder if we will be able to handle the press invasion if and when the trial starts.

My ilk? :laugh:

Your ilk is the problem. You are here defending Vick, not b/c you know he is some good decent person, or b/c of some inside knowedge you have of his innocence.

You are here defending him b/c he went to your college.

Period. End of sentence.

What kind of defense is that? "Vick couldn't of possibly done this b/c he went to Virginia Tech".

:wtf:

Face it. If Vick were a former Demon Deacon or Tar Heel, you'd be right here, ready to throw that key away at his conviction along with the rest of this 'ilk'. :)

And I noticed that you didn't dispute my charge that if Vick DOES get convicted, and if he got convicted of 49 other charges, you would still be here defending him.

Not b/c of any legal stances, but b/c he is your Virginia Tech boy.

So get off your high horse. It is too glaringly Hokie purple. :)

Still?

Yes, I'm voicing my concerns because he's a part of the Virginia Tech family. We Hokies tend to stick together.

If Vick did not go to Tech, I wouldn't be saying a damn thing. But I wouldn't be crucifying him either. When the Duke lax players were convicted by the media frenzy and the court of public opinion, I just shook my head in disgust. Was it because I knew they were innocent? No. It was because I was disgusted at how impressionable people are and how quickly they can be led astray by a media blitz before all facts are even covered.

Vick's situation is no different. Read through this thread. He's already been found guilty by the majority of people on this board, you included, and frankly, you don't know a GD thing about this case regardless of what you read on the "smoking gun".

If he's found guilty.......well........we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Your problem is, you've already crossed that bridge.

And if you think Hokies are "purple", your vision truly is as skewed as I thought it was.

Still?

Yes, I'm voicing my concerns because he's a part of the Virginia Tech family. We Hokies tend to stick together.

By failing to hold members of your "family" to a high standard, you are damning your own community, and setting a poor example as a representative of said community.

If Vick did not go to Tech, I wouldn't be saying a damn thing.

So you are admitting your bias. Given that, you should just stop right now.

But I wouldn't be crucifying him either. When the Duke lax players were convicted by the media frenzy and the court of public opinion, I just shook my head in disgust. Was it because I knew they were innocent? No. It was because I was disgusted at how impressionable people are and how quickly they can be led astray by a media blitz before all facts are even covered.

The circumstances are not remotely similar.

Still?

If Vick did not go to Tech, I wouldn't be saying a damn thing. But I wouldn't be crucifying him either. When the Duke lax players were convicted by the media frenzy and the court of public opinion, I just shook my head in disgust. Was it because I knew they were innocent? No. It was because I was disgusted at how impressionable people are and how quickly they can be led astray by a media blitz before all facts are even covered.

Vick's situation is no different. Read through this thread. He's already been found guilty by the majority of people on this board, you included, and frankly, you don't know a GD thing about this case regardless of what you read on the "smoking gun".

If he's found guilty.......well........we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Your problem is, you've already crossed that bridge.

And if you think Hokies are "purple", your vision truly is as skewed as I thought it was.

That nut case at Tech that mass murdered was a Hokie, and he was never convicted of anything. I suppose you support him too.

Guest Chiquita703

Originally Posted by hokie4redskins

I am ashamed of myself, but only because you say so.

:laugh:

And the fact that you think I SHOULD be ashamed of myself indicates that you already see Vick as guilty.

Contradicting one of the founding tenets of this great country, Todd? You should be ashamed of yourself.

You should be ashamed of yourself.....Vick is guilty of something. I have the 19 page indicment and maybe he's not guilty of all the things on this report. But I don't think he had no idea this was going on. The FBI does not get involved unless they have some kind of proof against him, obviuosly they do. Maybe you should read this and tell me it would not make you sick to your stomach to read about dogs being shot to death with a .22 caliber and drowned. You point is pointless.

I never did it. Not only is your position shameful, but your reading skills are apparently horrible. You are in the wrong, and in an indefensible position. Stop wasting the board's time by attempting to spin yourself out of this one.

That guy is obviously retarded why would he want to defend somebody that MURDERS dogs. Guilty or not guilty Michael Vick was involved in this somehow and anybody that wants to say He's guilty until proven guilty, that is BS. What happened with OJ, he was guilty but he's out here writing books on " If I did it" So much for the law. I had to take it there because I can't believe this guy is trying to defend Vick....

That nut case at Tech that mass murdered was a Hokie, and he was never convicted of anything. I suppose you support him too.

I can't believe I'm even dignifying this post with a response.

Cho was no Hokie. Hokies do not murder their own. Comparing the tragedy that claimed 32 HOKIES with Vick's situation is deplorable. You're a disgrace.

I can't believe I'm even dignifying this post with a response.

Cho was no Hokie. Hokies do not murder their own. Comparing the tragedy that claimed 32 HOKIES with Vick's situation is deplorable. You're a disgrace.

Now you're just being completely ridiculous. He was a Hokie. As heinous and awful as those acts were, they came from a member of the community. Accepting that and realizing that is a necessity. What you said makes no sense. It's like saying "He's not an american, americans don't murder their own". It's just a completely meaningless and incorrect statement, both literally and figuratively.

Still?

No, you won't cross cross any bridge. You'll stay right there in Hokieville. :)

I didn't buy the Duke case just days after it broke b/c that case smelled bad almost immeadiately.

See this for what it is. Vick bought that property himself. None of that stuff was there when he bought it. The buildings used in the dogfighting ring were built and the equipment found there were there after Vick bought the property.

You think Vick had that property for FIVE years, and had NO clue what was going on there? :rolleyes:

Even if by some incredible circumstance he wasn't involved, he had to have known what was going on there. It is HIS property.

To let this atrocious criminal behavior happen for years, on your own property, and not do anything about it, would make him as guilty and reprehensible as the ones who were participating.

However, I believe Vick is FAR more involved than simply owning the property.

But I'm sure you don't care. You are to busy wrapping yourself in the Hokie flag. :)

I'm sorry but killing a dog doesn't compare to killing a child. You are so far out of wack.

I dislike statements like this. Finish your thought please. It’s not as bad as harming a child, on this much we agree. I’d like to know however how bad you do think it is.

If is as bad as stealing a car?

Robbing a house?

Fraud?

Selling drugs?

What?

You want to tell us what crimes it’s not like, well finish the thought. Tell us where you stand instead of picking at someone else’s position. Personally I think it’s absolutely disgusting and the fact that it’s a felony coupled with the interstate gambling leads me to the conclusion that this is very serious. Personally I find raising dogs only to brutally torture and kill them to shock the conscience. It’s a level of brutality not welcome in this country or this state.

I hope he serves more then 4 years for this and has his career absolutely ruined by it. He deserves that and more for what he’s done in my opinion .

From ESPN:

Would Vick be sent to jail if he is convicted?

Yes. It's hard to imagine any other outcome. The charges are serious, and the evidence against Vick presented at trial will be nasty. The government's case includes evidence that Vick and his cohorts "tested" pit bulls for ferocity. If the dogs failed the test, the indictment charges, they were executed by hanging or drowning. In one case, with Vick present, the indictment says a dog was slammed to the ground until it was dead. In another incident, a dog was soaked with a hose and then electrocuted. Those aren't the sort of transgressions that lead to probation and community service. It's the kind of behavior that results in punishment, and the punishment will be jail time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940312

Maybe your right, I just got through reading the whole 19 page indictment and it is extremely detailed and incredibly damning.

Archived