Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick indicted on felony charges (superdupermegamerge)

turbodiesel#44

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/stories/wvec_local_071707_michael_vick.84ffe89d.html

Read the indictment: Vick due in court next week in federal dog-fighting investigation

04:57 PM EDT on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

By 13News

(RICHMOND) - NFL star and Newport News native Michael Vick will be in Federal Court in Richmond next Thursday, not on the training field in Flowery Branch, GA as he faces charges stemming from a federal dogfighting investigation.

On July 26, there will be a bond hearing at 3:30 p.m. followed by a 4:00 p.m arraignment.

Three others also indicted Tuesday will be there.

A conviction could land the Atlanta Falcons quarterback in prison for six years.

The court date was set following a Wednesday morning conference with the defendants' attorneys and court officials.

In Surry County, sheriff's office authorities are set to make statement about the future of their investigation. A Surry County grand jury meets July 24 and may consider charges in the dogfighting case.

Watch the report John Poindexter spoke to 13News on behalf of his father, Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter, who declined comment Tuesday night.

"My father has said this does not change the local investigation at all. It will go forward," John Poindexter said.

He said his father was expecting federal indictments but did not know they would happen Tuesday.

(to read more click on link above)

LOL....but i don't think the punishment will be that severe. It may be bendover vick...but not fry....
Why does this ammuse you? The thought of a dog being body slammed to death because it would not fight is not a joke. People who condone this are not a joke. Vick making head bands and T shirts to promote this is the sign of a sick person and you want to laugh it off and insult peoples mothers. Do you just not have a problem with dog fighting?

Very easy to prove that Arthur Blank...the owner of Home Depot, worth $1.3 billion...gave him any of that money with the knowledge of his interest/involvement in dogfighting? :laugh:

The Feds can only freeze the assets related to what they're indicting you for. AND they have to indict you under RICO to enact it. If you know what the RICO Act was created for, the punishment associated with it, and it's historical usage is, why the hell are you bringing it up in context of Michael Vick?

What more would you like, for him to be locked up in Gitmo? Vick didn't invent dogfighting...He didn't get rich off it either...

As I stated earlier, it would take too long for me to help you see the bigger picture. Money is not the key element here. What Vick can be nailed on and how that can happen is what's key to RICO. As I stated earlier, you are referencing the wrong points of RICO, specific to Vick. The Federal Government will seek to establish illegal gambling and either trafficing of dogs for the express purpose of fighting, gambling or sale for the purpose of same to enable them to consider RICO. Once that happens, the penalties associated with this crime, if found guilty, are substantially more significant. That's the purpose of using RICO in this case. Read the way the indictment is presented and pay attention to what has been named as defendant. All of these things set the prosectution up to take advantage of RICO should they so choose to.

I do not have the words to describe how awful or disgusting dog fighting is.

Just wanted to add my two cents to the latest vick news... and i am ecstatic!!!! It is my hope that finally someone of his popularity and sports stature gets what he deserves.

Secondly, it is my i hope that if he does get put away that this will send a message to all the other disgusting people who are proponents of dog fighting and hopefully allow for new laws to be passed that stiffen the laws on this even further.

Your missing the point. They are not going after him solely under RICO. But the indictment does establish a violation of RICO. First, RICO is punishable for up 20 years per act. There appears to be a number of acts alleged. Second, RICO allows a broader net to cast; once you have an organization, you can get all of the organization's members. Third, the two charges alleged against him are specific elements of a RICO charge ([1]gambling that is illegal and VA and [2] rackateering across state lines). Fourth, RICO can be pursued in addition to the underlying causes. Fifth, it allows them to get Vick for acts he was not specifically charged in.

They aren't going to get him solely on RICO. They are going to get him for the underlying acts they can prove. They will also get him for certain acts that he was not a part of due to RICO. When they establish the underlying acts as well as conspiracy as alleged in the indictments, its simple to also peg him for a RICO violation so that he is tagged for each time he didn't attend a fight.

The issue of assets are a red herring. He can get up to 20 for each act and fined for each act. The fines could be substantial.

The benefit of enacting RICO is that it financially cripples the defendant to the point of where they have no economic strength. What could they seize from Vick's assets other than the house the operation was suspected to be run out of?

They wouldn't have needed to change laws in the first place if it was commonplace to indict under the RICO Act for dogfighting.

The benefit of enacting RICO is that it financially cripples the defendant to the point of where they have no economic strength. What could they seize from Vick's assets other than the house the operation was suspected to be run out of?

They wouldn't have needed to change laws in the first place if it was commonplace to indict under the RICO Act for dogfighting.

LOL.......

OK, well, I guess it's my fault. I'm affraid I've done a poor job of explaining it. My bad.

have a good life.

As I stated earlier, it would take too long for me to help you see the bigger picture. Money is not the key element here. What Vick can be nailed on and how that can happen is what's key to RICO. As I stated earlier, you are referencing the wrong points of RICO, specific to Vick. The Federal Government will seek to establish illegal gambling and either trafficing of dogs for the express purpose of fighting, gambling or sale for the purpose of same to enable them to consider RICO. Once that happens, the penalties associated with this crime, if found guilty, are substantially more significant. That's the purpose of using RICO in this case. Read the way the indictment is presented and pay attention to what has been named as defendant. All of these things set the prosectution up to take advantage of RICO should they so choose to.

The laws were just changed in May. There's no way any justice system would allow him to do 20 years for dogfighting...think about what you're saying. They had to establish an interstate network to justify their involvement in the first place.

Aside I'd bet that 95% of what you're alleging is documented in the indictment...which seems nothing more than testimonies of government informants.

There's no relevance in bringing forth RICO...what's the benefit to the prosecution if it makes the case harder to prove without crippling the defendant? The Forfeiture Allegation at the end of the indictment already stipulates that if convicted he must forfeit all property found to be associated with the crime.

The laws were just changed in May. There's no way any justice system would allow him to do 20 years for dogfighting...think about what you're saying. They had to establish an interstate network to justify their involvement in the first place.

Aside I'd bet that 95% of what you're alleging is documented in the indictment...which seems nothing more than testimonies of government informants.

There's no relevance in bringing forth RICO...what's the benefit to the prosecution if it makes the case harder to prove without crippling the defendant? The Forfeiture Allegation at the end of the indictment already stipulates that if convicted he must forfeit all property found to be associated with the crime.

I don't see that it would be any harder to prove if they establish the fact that gambling and organized dogfighting is taking place across state lines. RICO can be charged at any time once this is established. If this can't be established, then it doesn't matter. There not going to get him.

This is not just dogfighting (although IMO, that is really enough), it is racketering, illegal gaming, tax ivasion and trafficing.

Remember the popular song in all the stadiums several years ago? "Who Let the Dogs Out". I can hear every home team playing that song when the Falcons come to play and Vick is still the QB.

:laugh:

Wait till he shows up in Cleveland, assuming he ever gets the opportunity.

I don't see that it would be any harder to prove if they establish the fact that gambling and organized dogfighting is taking place across state lines. RICO can be charged at any time once this is established. If this can't be established, then it doesn't matter. There not going to get him.

This is not just dogfighting (although IMO, that is really enough), it is racketering, illegal gaming, tax ivasion and trafficing.

Right now...all of that seems to be hearsay. Not that I'm confident that they can't prove it...but evidence linking Vick to verify informants' stories is still the missing link. As of right now all they need to prove is that beyond a reasonable doubt, Vick was involved in "conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in animal fighting venture".

With The RICO Act tacked on, they must prove the same, in addition to proving operation and management, pattern, enterprise, the things that constitute filing a RICO claim.

They're already facing 6 years & $350,000 a piece in fines...what will adding RICO on do? Who would it benefit?

Indictments are easy to get when the grand jury only hears evidence presented by a prosecutor, with no cross examinations, or grasp of what will actually be admissable. I'm interested to know when this grand jury was set to expire...not that it matters :)

[quotemy biggest fear is that players on the Redskins may have gone to these fights. I mean come on... you know lots of players knew about this.

With the way Clinton Portis spoke on the radio when the allegations came out, you'd think HE was micheal vick.

]

I agree with that statement totally.

CP did talk as if he had been present to Vicks dog fights.

All I want to see is proof beyound a shadow of a doubt.

NO OJ Simpson bull ****.

Right now...all of that seems to be hearsay. Not that I'm confident that they can't prove it...but evidence linking Vick to verify informants' stories is still the missing link. As of right now all they need to prove is that beyond a reasonable doubt, Vick was involved in "conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in animal fighting venture".

With The RICO Act tacked on, they must prove the same, in addition to proving operation and management, pattern, enterprise, the things that constitute filing a RICO claim.

They're already facing 6 years & $350,000 a piece in fines...what will adding RICO on do? Who would it benefit?

Indictments are easy to get when the grand jury only hears evidence presented by a prosecutor, with no cross examinations, or grasp of what will actually be admissable. I'm interested to know when this grand jury was set to expire...not that it matters :)

I think they have him. I agree with you that they must prove it but if you read the indictment, you will notice that Devon Boddie, Vick's cousin who was living at the house and was basically the guy named as the person at the property running the day to day things is not named in the Indictment. All the others are but not him.

I think they got him.

With his money, it may be 2 years. I'm sure his counsel will try to schedule it around the season too.

I hope no one has already said this(to many pages) On nfl totalaccess a lawyer they had on said Vick will have a hard time delaying it because he is not the only one on trial. And if he wasn't at any of theses fights and the other guys are found guilty he will be to because he is a part of it.

Sounds like big trouble for Vick. If found guilty I hope they give him the max.

Remember the popular song in all the stadiums several years ago? "Who Let the Dogs Out". I can hear every home team playing that song when the Falcons come to play and Vick is still the QB.

:laugh:

"Who ... Made the Dogs ... Fight?"

Crowd: "Vick ... Vick, Vick ... Vick-Vick!:

I've been trying to get on http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/ all day. I wonder if they shut the board down or if it's just very heavy traffic? I remember signing on to ExtremeSkins a couple of hours after Joe Gibbs announced his return and didn't have any problems. The traffic on the falcons board couldn't be as heavy as the day Coach returned? Just wondering.

Extremeskins probably runs better hardware than that Falcons board. For sites such as this, its mainly server load, not bandwidth that is the limiting factor. So a having say an E10K is going to make a huge difference than a standard PC.

As for the Falcons boards, last time I was able to get on its my impression that you still have some die hard Vick homers around, but most of them want him gone. Even before the doggate, bottlgegate and fingergate he divided the fan base for his lack of passer productivity.

Do you mean other than the dog carcasses, dog fighting equipment, dog blood, and other bits of evidence seized? They don't disclose the evidence they will present in the indictment, just their claim on how the events transpired.

Archived