Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one who thinks Beckham and his wife are trying too hard?

Thanos

I remember reading a story where Beckham and Old Spice went to an expensive jewelry (or clothing?) store and told the owner to shut it down for an hour as they shop. The owner basically told them no because they weren't big enough stars in the US. :laugh:

Seriously, soccer is the biggest sport in the world and not a blip on the USA sports radar (due to the fact we have the best athletes for "real" football, baseball, basketball, etc.) Although I will say I loved soccer until I was 8 years old and stopped playing it in order to focus on other sports.

America's opinion of soccer:

KickingScreamingFullscree1716_f.jpg

We all might be wrong here some results from the ESPN poll about 90K have voted so far:

3) How will Beckham's arrival to MLS affect your interest in the league?

70.5% More interested

28.2% I wasn't a fan and still won't be

1.4% Less interested

4) How will Beckham fare with the Galaxy?

62.5% He will be among the top players in the league

29.1% He will be a solid player with average stats

8.4% He will disappoint

5) How will he impact the Galaxy?

43.7% Playoff team

31.1% Instant championship contenders

18.7% Make them slightly better

6.5% No impact

6) Is Beckham worth $250 million over 5 years?

59.9% No

40.1% Yes

7) Will soccer ever achieve the popularity it once had in the United States again?

58.3% Yes

41.7% No

8) Who are you more excited about moving to Los Angeles?

48.9% David Beckham

27.8% Victoria Beckham

23.3% Neither

9) What is England's best export?

38.9% The Beatles

15.7% Keira Knightley

15.7% David Beckham

10.6% Monty Python

9.3% The Rolling Stones

9.2% Sacha Baron Cohen

0.5% Jude Law

I think Pele and Beckham are a lil different. Although Pele was a MUCH better player, in the 70s the sport did not have the following it currently has. Granted the Cosmos reached heights of 60,000 in the stands, but the MLS is challenging one of the major sports in this country (hockey) in popularity.

You also have to take into account the strong latin influence in this country and their love for soccer. Plug into that one of, if not, the most popular international sports figure, with a HOT wife and people are going to buy into this.

A lot will not stay, simply because the mentality of American Sports, instant gratification (lots of goals, homeruns, slam dunks, and touchdowns). But his presence has already created an interest.

As far as the video, I cannot figure out how to link it to this message so I will bump the thread I started a couple of weeks ago. Beckham meets Bush (Reggie).

Look at it w/ an open mind.

As far as the wager, I was thinking some sort of sig the other would not appreciate.

Maybe we look at this by the end of next MLS season, and see where Beckham's popularity stands. Is that too long for you? I know I won't be going anywhere.

It was just reported on espn news that there was an espn.com poll asking people what they thought of Beckhams arrival. Given 4 choices 55% of the people out there said they "Don't care".

This is no doubt big for the soccer community, but people who don't watch soccer now won't watch it now.

I might watch a game or two just to see what the hype is about, but the only soccer I'd ever really watch is World Cup.

As well as the bet goes, name it. :)

It was just reported on espn news that there was an espn.com poll asking people what they thought of Beckhams arrival. Given 4 choices 55% of the people out there said they "Don't care".

See, jbooma. :) ESPN polls are as good as pft. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

This is no doubt big for the soccer community, but people who don't watch soccer now won't watch it now.

I might watch a game or two just to see what the hype is about, but the only soccer I'd ever really watch is World Cup.

As well as the bet goes, name it. :)

Let's not even wait until next year, let's say by the end of this season, the LA Galalxy will have at least a 20% increase in average stadium attendence from just under 21,000 in 2006 to over 25,000 by the end of this season. That won't even factor in that the season is almost halfway over.

I win, you wear a Beckham sig for a month, if you win, you can come up with a sig for me. Just be mindful that your sig will be a soccer player nothing out of whack.

Let's not even wait until next year, let's say by the end of this season, the LA Galalxy will have at least a 20% increase in average stadium attendence from just under 21,000 in 2006 to over 25,000 by the end of this season. That won't even factor in that the season is almost halfway over.

I win, you wear a Beckham sig for a month, if you win, you can come up with a sig for me. Just be mindful that your sig will be a soccer player nothing out of whack.

Sure, only if you mean people that actually show up. We're not talking paid attendance here.

Still, a 4-5k increase in attendance is pretty pathetic. 25k people out to see a soccer game in a stadium that holds much more still proves my point that a lot of people in this country don't care about soccer.

Sig bets fine with me, I guess. Though I dunno how I'll come up with one for you. We'll see. :D

I didn't know the Libertarian Party picked the color of urine. Pretty cool.

;)

I just guessed by the color of their logo. :laugh:

lp-logo.gif

Turns out that i was right..

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Political_colour#List_of_colours_associated_with_different_parties_in_various_countries

United States

* Democratic Party: No single official colour, but increasingly associated with blue (see discussion above)

* Republican Party: No single official colour, but increasingly associated with red (see discussion above)

* Green Party: green

* Libertarian Party: No single official colour, but often associated with yellow

* Black Panther Party: black

* Communist Party: Red

Sure, only if you mean people that actually show up. We're not talking paid attendance here.

Still, a 4-5k increase in attendance is pretty pathetic. 25k people out to see a soccer game in a stadium that holds much more still proves my point that a lot of people in this country don't care about soccer.

Sig bets fine with me, I guess. Though I dunno how I'll come up with one for you. We'll see. :D

Look at the attendence of a lot of lower talent MLB teams. Your argument against the popularity of soccer could say the same about MLB. Very few teams, if any have full stadiums and some of these teams have small stadiums that don't even get half full. According to your argument then baseball is not that popular here in the US.

I don't disagree with you that soccer has a long way to go before it is a major sport in this country, but some of the better teams in MLS have attendence levels close to some baseball teams and most hockey teams, per game.

So you're on w/ the bet. 20% increase in attendence, but I don't know how you would check to see if it is people who show up as opposed paid attendence. And I don't know how paid attendence doesn't support my point as much as people who show up. They are buying the tickets because Beckham is there.

Regardless you are on. The LA Galaxy will have an increase of 20% attendence by the end of the 2007 season as a result of David Beckham.

I must tell you going into this that there have been reports that the Galaxy has already covered his salary with revenues that have been generated since he was first introduced. This is your last chance to back out.

I bring up actual gate attendance because I think a lot of people will pay for tickets, they'll go to a game or two and the novelty will wear off. They'll realize they're just watching...soccer.

OK, I still think gate attendence will be up by 20%. You're on!

I certainly believe that they are trying too hard. It's kinda like 2 popular kids from another school trying to join the popular group of another school by using their popularity from the other school as their way in. I still can't believe that Alexi Lallas(sp) spent $250,000,000 on a soccer player. I believe that was a big waste of money. Having David Beckham playing soccer in the US isn't going to arrouse any more interest in the sport than there already is in this country. We already have our big sports. Football, Baseball, & Basketball take up way more time & interest then soccer EVER will here, with OR without Beckham. :2cents:

Archived