Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I the only one who thinks Beckham and his wife are trying too hard?

Thanos

As fans of a team owned by The Danny I would expect you to recognise a marketing scam when you see one. Are not the Redskins now the highest earning sports franchise in the world built on the back of repeated marketing scams ('cos it sure isn't built on results as we know)?

The $250m figure is hype. The only way he will get close to it is if his name generates a bucket load more in which case he will deserve it.

Take a look at this http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20670001&refer=&sid=aUAxd1irwwng where it gives a little more detail and you will see that contrary to being highly priced Beckham has already earned LA Galaxy millions and he hasn't even kicked a ball yet.

Not bad for an over the hill never has been in a country that isn't interested ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Great take from Simmons....

Beckham: Every five years, people predict soccer could "take off" in America. Every five years, it doesn't happen. Why? Because Americans don't want to watch anything less than the best possible athletes. That's why the USFL and Arena Football failed as TV sports, that's why the CBA doesn't have a TV contract, and that's why ESPN2 doesn't show minor league baseball every night. Pro soccer can't become a major American sport when 99.7% of the quality players play overseas. It's a fact.

So what's my silver lining? That people keep stupidly perpetuating the "every kid grows up playing soccer -- those are the kids who become adults and who might buy tickets" argument. You know what else I did as a kid? I gave myself a Muslim name. I ate my own boogers. I seethed because Tom never caught Jerry. I checked my closet every night to make sure an evil clown wasn't there. I left my baby teeth under my pillow because a fairy gave me money for them. None of these things has any correlation to my life now. The fact remains: Americans will never care that Beckham is playing soccer in a league of half-decent guys, just like English people wouldn't care if they had a mediocre baseball league and the London team signed A-Rod.

Yeah but people are filling stadiums to see him.

See him do what? He hasnt played.

Anyways, the Beckham hype machine seems to have lost traction. I havent heard anything about him in weeks other than he's injured. The Galaxy's owner was interviewed on SportCenter yesterday. I dont know what he said, i changed the channel. :laugh:

See him do what? He hasnt played.

Anyways, the Beckham hype machine seems to have lost traction. I havent heard anything about him in weeks other than he's injured. The Galaxy's owner was interviewed on SportCenter yesterday. I dont know what he said, i changed the channel. :laugh:

It was pathetic, he tried to say soccer players were as tough as any other athlete....football players included.

I sat next to a lady on the plane last week who was reading "US" magazing and rambling non-stop. From the moment I sat down, she just started talking me ear off.

"Wanna see pictures of my little girl? Here she is kicking a ball. Here she is holding a phone. Here she is punching her dad in the nuts. :blahblah:"

So anyways... she's flipping thru this magazine... then she holds it up and points to a picture of Beckham and his wife.

"These two are like, totally my favorite new couple. I totally wish I could hang out with them"

:doh: I fear the hype machine is working gents

I sat next to a lady on the plane last week who was reading "US" magazing and rambling non-stop. From the moment I sat down, she just started talking me ear off.

"Wanna see pictures of my little girl? Here she is kicking a ball. Here she is holding a phone. Here she is punching her dad in the nuts. :blahblah:"

So anyways... she's flipping thru this magazine... then she holds it up and points to a picture of Beckham and his wife.

"These two are like, totally my favorite new couple. I totally wish I could hang out with them"

zoon, I believe at that point you would have been well within your rights to smack her. When she asked you why you smacked her, the proper response would have been: '.....'

As long as it sticks to the US Magazine crowd and not the ESPN crowd, im good. I have worked very hard insulating myself from the celebrity gossip nonsense.......except for thesuperficial. :)

zoon, I believe at that point you would have been well within your rights to smack her. When she asked you why you smacked her, the proper response would have been: '.....'

:laugh:

Look the Beckhams didn't come here to play soccer but to get into Hollywood. Why do you think he choose LA Galaxy when they are much better teams in the US.

Also $250 millions doesn't hurt either but Becks is still a great player and Posh is a hot woman in her own right. Becks being a good looking guy will try doing smaller roles in movies before trasnsition his career full time into Hollywood.

And Becks will amke a difference as most of the games are selling out to watch him play. Soccer has come a long way in this country and still have a very long way to go but the level of soccer in the US is not laugahble anymore its improved quite a bit.

As much as I want to believe they are trying too hard to become mainstream - and I hate everything about it - I'd actually argue the opposite.

I think the American media has made the transition incredibly easy for them.

And that's sad. But it is what it is.

As much as I want to believe they are trying too hard to become mainstream - and I hate everything about it - I'd actually argue the opposite.

I think the American media has made the transition incredibly easy for them.

And that's sad. But it is what it is.

I blame Canada.

Archived