Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convince The Skins Faithful That You're Really Better Than Us

LoudMouth12thMan

Heads Up, it's a bit of a read boys and gals ;)

I'm visiting my in-laws here in Vienna, VA and when I visit here it reminds me of the trips I've made the last couple of years and the ones I will be making to Fed Ex this year. I've spent a couple of weeks thinking about this and finally I started to look at everyone's team and situation in the East more closely.

ES friends, there is no guarantee that we'll be atop the East, but someone tell me how any of our opponents will top us. Look at each team and ask yourself who is really in a better situation.

Dallas

Positives

-Sure, they picked up L. Davis and he will help to give Romo sits to pee time to sling it to two explosive receivers. Big play potential is there with the passing game.

-W. Phillips will help keep the defense solid and they certainly can keep the opposition from running up the scoreboard.

Negatives

-The running game is weak. Look at the stats from the two headed attack of Jones and Barber from last year. Not outstanding. Production lacked (on the whole) and frankly they won't be able to beat defenses up on the ground and wear them down.

-With regard to the run game, I think the O line will struggle to create holes for Jones and Barber and as a result I believe the Cowboys will be relying on explosive plays from the passing game.

-Romo sits to pee is a loose cannon and no one will argue that. Parcells was able to stay on Romo sits to pee's ass to make sure that he stayed grounded and made good decisions (for the most part). With a new staff on offense especially, I question whether Romo sits to pee will play smart enough on his own in order to avoid turnovers.

Overview

9-7 with the talent that they had last year and will have this year? Parcells retired and obviously felt as if he just couldn't help this team contend, so it makes me wonder what Wade Phillips, the king of misfortune as a head coach, can do to make this team better than 9-7. L. Davis was a nice addition for pass pro, but the O-line is certainly not an improvement in the run game nor is it as a whole in the passing game. Remember, they're the same O-line that Bledsoe played w/ save Davis. The only difference is that they have a more mobile qb in Romo sits to pee. Their downfall could be time of possession which could come into play and w/out the ability to pound the ball the offense will rely on Romo sits to pee and his receivers. I just have a strong feeling, as many others do, that Romo sits to pee will turn the ball over a lot this year. I don't think it's necessary to mention the T.O. factor b/c it doesn't matter but it will be interesting how much of an impact his behavior will have if the team starts off on the wrong foot. I'm not sure this new staff can help to control the pretty boy, the ultimate ego, and the rest of the bunch.

Giants

Overview

The Giants were 8-8, and that was with Tiki Barber. Tiki is gone, there are no positives in my eyes. Yes, Shockey is great, Plax is talented, and Jacobs and Droughns will help to pound the ball, but Eli is Eli and with him you get a different consistency from week to week. The defense is a big question mark where they struggled against the pass and at times against the run. They lost 6 of the last 8 games at the end of the season. Eli's rating and overall production has slid the last two years. No, Tiki being gone is not a cliche' media term for the reason this team will struggle, his absence is really going to be a huge void that cannot be filled this year. Now the success or failure solely rests on Eli's ability to be productive this year. I don't see substantial improvement on the O-line so where does that leave Eli's confidence? Moreover, where does the confidence come from with regard to Coughlin who seems to be on his last leg with this team. In fairness, much could be the same about us as well with regard to Gibbs at least from the media's standpoint.

Eagles

Overview

10-6 season last year. There are certainly positives as the Eagles seemed to find the ability to run the ball with Westbrook last year. Their O-line seems like they have improved in many ways, and with a healthy McNabb (if he is healthy, that is) this will instantly make them a contender in the East. Takeo Spikes gives them another solid LB (again, if healthy) and he will assist Trotter in plugging wholes. Their secondary is solid and the defense will be a force this year. I just question whether they have the bodies to stop the run, and if my memory serves me right the Eagles struggled against the run last year. Spikes is not a fix all, and nor is Fletcher for us. Remember, McNabb has been fairly fragile the last few years and now that Garcia is in Tampa the Eagles better pray that McNabb is healthy and on the field for the entire season.

This post is not about convincing all of the ES faithful that we will win the division, but it's more about the state of the East as a whole. My apologies if most of you are aware of these things, but I don't think it's redundant at this point as most of the naysayers seem to have their heads way up the poop shoot. We are all certainly aware of our situation/question marks with regard to the defense, Campbell, and all of our players that are coming back from major injuries. My point is, we have just as much of a chance to lead the NFC East as any team in this division. Sadly, it seems like the Cowboys have the best chance to win the division which is why I spent more time analyzing them. With that said, I'm just not convinced that they will able to get it done with Wade Phillips and his staff. If Parcells couldn't get them past the first playoff opponent, how in the world can Phillips improve them? I just have a feeling that they are much like we were last year, they're a paper team (good on paper but reality tells a different story)

Get ready for an interesting season this year in the East. The pluses for us are that we travel close to home for the most part, we can only improve on our weaknesses, and things seem to be looking up from the attitude of the players and coaches pre training camp. These players realize how important it is for the organization to beat the Pokes. This team is always ready to play the Cows. They have something to prove and Redskins pride is on the line. I think that our schedule is set up in a way that will make for an interesting first and last three games. I'm sure Gibbs is stressing the importance of a quick start and a strong finish. We may lapse a bit in the middle as the Pats, Jets, Pokes, and Eagles could be a tough stretch of opponents, but I believe that we are as much of a contender in our division as the next three sorry ass clubs :silly: Take it for what it's worth and I'd be interested to see what other NFC East fans and some of the overall doubters have to say to rebut the post :) If you got through the read, congrats :laugh: My first post in a while ;)

HTTR

Not I that desire to defend the brokeback all-stars, but barber was among the top 5 for rushing td's last year. Yards-wise they aren't a threat, but there is definitely production from their lack-luster running game.

Only after explosive plays for the most part. It wasn't as if Barber or Jones lit it up on the ground and Barber pounded it in. He was their short yardage back and their goaline back, so from a production standpoint it still stands that they aren't lighting it up on the ground. :2cents:

HTTR

I like your assesments. They seem pretty fair. The only thing that I don't agree with (and my redskin faith will NEVER allow me to) is that cowboys are in the best position to win the division. It's not because i'm a hater, but more so of me thinking that the team to beat in this division is the one that has the most productive quarterback this season. All four teams defenses seems to have its ups and downs and therefore balance each other out, meaning there isn't one better than the others. With things the way they are now, I would have to go McNabb giving the eagles the best chance to win the east.:2cents:

Sadly, it seems like the Cowboys have the best chance to win the division which is why I spent more time analyzing them. With that said, I'm just not convinced that they will able to get it done with Wade Phillips and his staff. If Parcells couldn't get them past the first playoff opponent, how in the world can Phillips improve them? I just have a feeling that they are much like we were last year, they're a paper team (good on paper but reality tells a different story)

Based on the premise of the thread I thought the Redskins had the best chance?

I don't think the Cowboys have a better chance than the Skins or the Eagles for that matter. I think the lack of continuity in the coaching staff will take away the ability to win some close games. I also think Romo sits to pee is bound to have some growing pains even if he has great potential. It is a new OC and we all know how that works.

I like your assesments. They seem pretty fair. The only thing that I don't agree with (and my redskin faith will NEVER allow me to) is that cowboys are in the best position to win the division. It's not because i'm a hater, but more so of me thinking that the team to beat in this division is the one that has the most productive quarterback this season. All four teams defenses seems to have its ups and downs and therefore balance each other out, meaning there isn't one better than the others. With things the way they are now, I would have to go McNabb giving the eagles the best chance to win the east.:2cents:

If McNabb is healthy of course which is a pretty big if in my opinion. Look at the history of starting qb's injuries that came back last year...not so good for the most part. It will take McNabb a while to get back in to the swing of things so I can't put him at the top of the list as far as best qb in the East. I hate the Pokes more than any team in the NFL but you can't deny their strength at multiple positions. I just feel like you have to have a great coach to direct all of that talent and know what to do with it. Phillips is a loser (literally) as a head coach and thus his team will be losers. I guess this post was just an attempt at trying to convince others that we're really second in line in the division in my mind from the start. We'll see what happens but I think we can beat the Pokes at least once this year and it may come at a crucial time, like the end of the season. Wouldn't it be killer if we play them at Fed Ex for the division title?

HTTR

Sadly, it seems like the Cowboys have the best chance to win the division which is why I spent more time analyzing them. With that said, I'm just not convinced that they will able to get it done with Wade Phillips and his staff. If Parcells couldn't get them past the first playoff opponent, how in the world can Phillips improve them? I just have a feeling that they are much like we were last year, they're a paper team (good on paper but reality tells a different story)

Based on the premise of the thread I thought the Redskins had the best chance?

I don't think the Cowboys have a better chance than the Skins or the Eagles for that matter. I think the lack of continuity in the coaching staff will take away the ability to win some close games. I also think Romo sits to pee is bound to have some growing pains even if he has great potential. It is a new OC and we all know how that works.

I agree totally, but I just feel like the Pokes have the talent but will be hindered by the staff that they have. I really feel like we do have the best chance to win the division but it's a bit of a hard sell being that we were 5-11. Nice point about the oc too. I figured that the Pukes were basically starting all over with a totally revamped staff. :applause:

you mentioned explosive recievers in the cowboys but i would like to mention that both are in their thirties and both are on the decline not the rise of their talent level. Sure in their prime they were two of the most talented of their Era but at the end of the day a couple of 30 something WR's with recent inury problems and even bigger ego problem can spell disasterous. I think these factors as well as a suspect running game make the development of a young and very well hyped QB more difficult than it already is.

These reasons and the fact that the giants Management has crippled the coaching staff as well as the lack of consistant leadership on and off the field lead me to believe if any has the best shot at winning the east it will be (other than the skins) the Eagles. they have the best QB right now (if he is healthy) the longest running coaching staff and systems and the most leadership at key areas. all the teams have weaknesses and places they come up short but the eagles seem to have the least in the places that matter most.

you mentioned explosive recievers in the cowboys but i would like to mention that both are in their thirties and both are on the decline not the rise of their talent level. Sure in their prime they were two of the most talented of their Era but at the end of the day a couple of 30 something WR's with recent inury problems and even bigger ego problem can spell disasterous. I think these factors as well as a suspect running game make the development of a young and very well hyped QB more difficult than it already is.

These reasons and the fact that the giants Management has crippled the coaching staff as well as the lack of consistant leadership on and off the field lead me to believe if any has the best shot at winning the east it will be (other than the skins) the Eagles. they have the best QB right now (if he is healthy) the longest running coaching staff and systems and the most leadership at key areas. all the teams have weaknesses and places they come up short but the eagles seem to have the least in the places that matter most.

Well said, can't really argue with that ;)

HTTR

1. Awesome post, Thank you.

2. I don't think Cowboys are in the best position. Romo sits to pee hype won't carry them.

3. I believe Giants are in the best position besides the skins to win the division because they have way too much at to prove. May be as much as the redskins do.

4. Eagles will finish last this year and McNab is done if injured again.

not an analyst, just a believe.

No way. The Eagles have won 5 or 6 of the last 7 divisional races and only lost the one because the whole team was injured and TO.

They have to be the favorite. Us, Dallas, and NY are all just hoping that changes make them better but the Eagles already know what works and haven't changed that.

Great post and great points covered.

I think Romo sits to pee is heavily over rated. He was on a good roll but once teams had footage on him they were able to exploit his flaws.

The little giants couldn't do it with Tiki I don't think they'll do much with out him.

Eagles alot ? with injuries and only time will tell.

I truly see the Skins with the best shot right now in the East. With 2 great backs a young talented Qb and good vet back up and with the new add ons on the Defensive side. I really feel skins are headed in the right path to bring home the lambardi.

No way. The Eagles have won 5 or 6 of the last 7 divisional races and only lost the one because the whole team was injured and TO.

They have to be the favorite. Us, Dallas, and NY are all just hoping that changes make them better but the Eagles already know what works and haven't changed that.

Good point which makes me kinda' wonder why they got rid of Garcia "just in case..." Look at the success rate of qbs who came back from major injury the previous year though. Not so promising. I'm sure McNabb wil be eager and all, but thats a big "?" at this point.

Also, who did they get to help their LB situation? Sure, Trotter is a beast but hell, Betts ran all over that defense as did many other Backs last year. They better learn how to stop the run or they're not getting anywhere close to the top IMO. I'll give it to them though, they've certainly improved their running game and it's hard to get big plays on them in the passing game. Their D certainly keeps the games close. Nice post SkinsFTW :cheers:

Great post and great points covered.

I think Romo sits to pee is heavily over rated. He was on a good roll but once teams had footage on him they were able to exploit his flaws.

The little giants couldn't do it with Tiki I don't think they'll do much with out him.

Eagles alot ? with injuries and only time will tell.

I truly see the Skins with the best shot right now in the East. With 2 great backs a young talented Qb and good vet back up and with the new add ons on the Defensive side. I really feel skins are headed in the right path to bring home the lambardi.

So basically what you're saying is, Romo sits to pee is a homo, the Giants got nothin', WhoDel's favorite team sucks, and we're going to the Super Bowl to win the lOmbardi :paranoid: :silly: :poke: . I like your style :cheers:

You gotta love July. All 32 teams have a shot at the Lombardi trophy. The NFCE should be fun this year.

Good analysis.

My only comment the effectiveness of the defenses will determine who wins the NFC-East. How well each team D-line and linebackers shore up against the run and also applies pressure will be critical Good secondary coverage is important but is only as effective as to what the 7 guys in the box do.

Dallas has drafted well on defense and poses a real threat, most of these guys are now 3-year veterans. The G-men have some good players at least in generating pressure. Philly showed run weakness but bostered that with Takeo Spikes and Ian Scott. Washington --- stood pat with most of their 2006 personnel in the box, but did substantially upgrade the MLB and SS positions.

Unless one the teams' offense morphs into a high-scoring machine like the Chiefs, Colts or Bengals, the role of the defense in generating points may be the difference on who ends up on top. If this is the case, then Dallas seems to have the edge.

Washington fans should hope that 2007 is the year that Campbell and the Washington offense click, and its defense stiffens. Philly fans should hope that McNabb stays healthy, and their qnew additions to the defense were enough. For Giant fans, it's all about when or if "Eli's coming?" With the acquisition of Davis, Spencer, etc., Dallas seems the favorite -- but much depends on how well Philips keeps the "Boyz" focussed.

Strangely, I an optimisitic about the Skins' chances. I think this is the year Washington gets their offense clicking and turn into a high-scoring team. Moreover, I think Washington develops (or picks up someone in pre-season) to upgades our defensive line to be more effective than it was in 2006. Washington winds up as either the NFC-East champion or a Wild-Card to the playoffs.

How so? Are you focusing solely on his playoff record?

look at his overall record where he barely broke .500 and he's 0-3 in the playoffs. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

Parcells couldn't get it done, so I'm just scratching my head on this hire by the Jerra'. I don't get it really. The Pokes have the talent in place, Parcells bolts, and now they hire Phillips who's an unproven coach with a blase' record and a horrific playoff resume'. I don't get it nor do I believe that Phillips can keep this team together if things start heading south. Believe me, if Parcells can't do it, Phillips can't come close. Just my opinion, and I'm not alone in it.

HTTR

Good analysis.

My only comment the effectiveness of the defenses will determine who wins the NFC-East. How well each team D-line and linebackers shore up against the run and also applies pressure will be critical Good secondary coverage is important but is only as effective as to what the 7 guys in the box do.

Dallas has drafted well on defense and poses a real threat, most of these guys are now 3-year veterans. The G-men have some good players at least in generating pressure. Philly showed run weakness but bostered that with Takeo Spikes and Ian Scott. Washington --- stood pat with most of their 2006 personnel in the box, but did substantially upgrade the MLB and SS positions.

Unless one the teams' offense morphs into a high-scoring machine like the Chiefs, Colts or Bengals, the role of the defense in generating points may be the difference on who ends up on top. If this is the case, then Dallas seems to have the edge.

Washington fans should hope that 2007 is the year that Campbell and the Washington offense click, and its defense stiffens. Philly fans should hope that McNabb stays healthy, and their qnew additions to the defense were enough. For Giant fans, it's all about when or if "Eli's coming?" With the acquisition of Davis, Spencer, etc., Dallas seems the favorite -- but much depends on how well Philips keeps the "Boyz" focussed.

Strangely, I an optimisitic about the Skins' chances. I think this is the year Washington gets their offense clicking and turn into a high-scoring team. Moreover, I think Washington develops (or picks up someone in pre-season) to upgades our defensive line to be more effective than it was in 2006. Washington winds up as either the NFC-East champion or a Wild-Card to the playoffs.

Nice points but I'm just not sold that one guy gives the Eagles a better chance at stopping the run. Their entire interior was fairly weak and they had to bring Considine in the box when things got way out of hand. Conversly that sort of hinders them at keeping everything underneath and in front of them. Takeo will help but I don't think he's the answer.

Dallas, as I said, has everything on paper and you'd think Phillips could help keep that D sharp but are we really going to sit here and say that Phillips is better equipped at that task than Parcells?

The Giants are toast, period. Eli has gotten worse and he just doesn't have the supporting cast. If the Giants start off bad with a losing record...say 1-2 or 2-4 things are going to get ugly really quick. They've got to start off fast and that's a tough task with an away game at Dallas, at Washington, and then against Philly, not to mention the Jets are no slouch. So, tell me the Giants are going to have a winning record come week 9 at their bye. No way in hell, and if they are losing they will have a hard time salvaging it b/c they've got Chicago away, Philly away, and their last game is against New England. Toast, period IMO. Coughlin is gone.

I think we've got all the talent in the world, and the preseason is going to be more telling than anyone thinks. Gdub has got to get his starters on the field during the preseason and focus completely on tackling and creating turnovers that's it. Screw schemes and exotic packages/blitzes, just focus on tackling, being in the right place, and taking advantage of the opportunity for turnovers.

Dallas or the Eagles are certainly the front runners in a lot of people's mind, but like someone mentioned earlier it's tough when coming into a new system (Dallas) and the success rate of qb's coming off of injury from the previous season isn't exactly high (Eagles). So, everything is up in the air and we better take advantage of the opportunity to start fast and get some momentum goin'. :2cents: Nice post Wyvern

HTTR

look at his overall record where he barely broke .500 and he's 0-3 in the playoffs. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm

Parcells couldn't get it done, so I'm just scratching my head on this hire by the Jerra'. I don't get it really. The Pokes have the talent in place, Parcells bolts, and now they hire Phillips who's an unproven coach with a blase' record and a horrific playoff resume'. I don't get it nor do I believe that Phillips can keep this team together if things start heading south. Believe me, if Parcells can't do it, Phillips can't come close. Just my opinion, and I'm not alone in it.

HTTR

I just don't subscribe to the if Parcell's couldn't get it done, how can Phillips theory. The NFL is all about timing and situation. Look at guys like Mangini, Dungy and Sean Peyton. Are they better coaches historically than Parcell's? Of course not but it's a what have you done for me lately league. Phillips is a "proven" coach evidenced by his record of 45-35. Perhaps Parcells approach always wore his Dallas teams out down the stretch and this generations players increasingly stopped responding to him? Just pointing out that Wade does not have to be a better coach "historically" to take Dallas farther than Parcells did.

I'm not worried about our chances at all. We seem pretty well-balanced as a team. However, I must say that Dallas' defense will be a force in the league this year. I feel like they will generate lots of turnovers and be something to have to mightily gameplan for. Where our biggest question is the amount of pressure we get off the edge, they have an abundance of this with Ware, sometimes Spears, and now Anthony Spencer, who I think is a great fit for Phillips' defensive philosophy. But like I said, I ain't worried. Our offense should strike fear into the minds of all our opponents.

I also believe the Eagles are still the best team in the division and should be a lock to win the East providing they stay healthy.

Right now I would give second place to the cowpies based largely upon their defense. Wade will ratchet up that 3-4 into a scary, possibly dominant unit. Their offense has shown that it can be a very dangerous and productive unit when in sync. As a team, the cowpies have great potential based more on hard evidence than idle speculation.

The Skins and Gints both have very big questions going into this season.

For the skins, it is the defense ranked #30 and Cambell, yada, yada.

For the Gints, it's who's gonna run the ball? Tiki was what; 60% of their offense and a legit homerun threat??? That is one colosal hole in need of filling! Personally, I don't believe Ellie can carry the O if the running game is stalled. The D will be good again but will asked to carry far more weight and runs the possibility of wearing down quickly due to playing far more snaps than they have in the past. The Giants are going to have to find a way to grind out some wins on the ground in the 4th qtr but who's gonna do it? Brandon Jacobs? Ruben Droughns? Do these guys scare anybody?

I see the division as a battle for first place between the Eagles and Cowpies and a battle for 3rd and 4th between the Skins and G-men.

:2cents:

:helmet:

I foresee the Eagles starting out strong in this season coming. The Giants, well they will be looking at the highest rated running back/left tackle come draft week. The cowpats, Romo sits to pee is gonna have a few headaches now that D-coordinators have more film on him but I think the key to all of this is when the Eagles come undone. Mcnubb goes down, Kolb starts (11/11) and fails miserably and then the Skins go on a 7 game winning streak to steal the division.

Hail!

I think it was a good choice that makes plenty of sense on paper. Only time will tell how he turns out.

Well my friend, I can tell you that many of my "evil" :) friends that happen to be Poke fans aren't so confident. If I were a Cowboys fan I think I'd rather have Parcells but that's just me. So, you're telling me that the "situation" is prime for a serious playoff run with a new staff altogether? Don't get me wrong, I have my doubts about our situation, but I have serious doubts about the Pukes too. See ya 'round THA.

HTTR

Triptronic,

Nice post, but as much as I think we've got a lot to prove I still feel like the East is up for grabs and will be well into the season. That's just the feeling I have, but really it's all yappin' at this point :2cents:

Archived