Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: MMQB - Ranking All 32 Qbs (Peter Queen)

Commander Adama

Ok Riggo your comparison to Big Ben I do not think is accurate. Big Ben did not lose them the Superbowl or any other game the prior year. They ran the ball all the time and all he had to do was protect the ball, and do short dump off passes (Brunell would have been perfect for them that year). As far as JC, he did go 2-5 but how much of that was his fault versus how much was the defenses fault? The teams fault? I am not saying JC should be top 10 or top 15, I was merely pointing out QBs he put in top positions compared to JC.

Oh and as far as work-ethic, JC is a top tier QB. Thanks for going the extra mile JC!

Well, on list like this you are going to have some reaches, since you need to do something to make your list distinctive.

That being said, I think writers overestimate the value of QBs who can run the ball. Yes, such guys can be dangerous, but they can't be truely dangerous unless they are as much or more of a threat throwing the ball rather than running the ball. Those who have succeeded in this league are those who learned to pass as well as they run, otherwise you just force the guy to throw, like most teams do nowadays to Vick.

Vince Young sure is exciting, but he still has a lot to learn in the passing game, probably more than Campbell does at this point.

Romo sits to pee is just a bad call at this point. Considering he's learning a new offense and has a lot to prove, I'd probably pick him for the middle of the pack. There are going to be struggles.

Jason

Personally, I'm pumped that Campbell is being ranked so low. It means I'll be able to pick him up in the later rounds of my fantasy football draft and all these talking heads will hopefully have some crow to eat as well. I'm going to look like a genius if I can pick up Campbell as the 20th or so QB off the board in my drafts.

Not to derail this thread but...........................

I was just reading the last chat by ESPN's The Sports Guy and some guy from California asked him: You ever notice that guys like Peter King and Chris Mortenson ALWAYS say "good fit" for players that go to the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, and Pats? I would like that phrase stricken from the NFL lexicon.

There is a guy out there that thinks Peter Queen always praises the Redskins!?! Isn't that weird?

What a joke of a list. There are maybe 10 good QB's on this list at the most. Then there is a huge drop off in the NFL. Most of the QB's at the top have all world talent around them. Rivers and Romo sits to pee haven't shown me much in the clutch. Rivers was horrible against the Patriots at home on a beautiful day.

Wide Receivers and RB's make a QB.

How is Cutler so high and what are these bogus intangibles ratings he put there? Where is he getting them from? Also, why in the world is there so much love for Matt Schaub? The guy hasn't won a single game, he's only started 2 and those were behind offensive lines that could actually block, and he had a running game there...what in the world is he going to do behind the garbage they have in Houston and with an aging and injured Ahman Green running the ball. I just don't get what he's baseing these rankings on because a lot of his "numbers" contradict his actual "rankings."

I wouldnt expect anyone to rate Campbell much higher on any list than King did. Campbell went 2-5 last year, he lost more than 50% of the games he started. Now as Skins fans we know that he is better than that record shows (we think/hope anyway), but an outsider looking in probably wouldn't realize that. :2cents:

Sure Campbell went 2-5 but aren't we forgetting our abysmal defense when we reference this record?

I don't believe that Campbell deserves to be in the top 15 or anything but there are some pretty suspect QBs ahead of him. (Losman, Smith, Garcia, Schaub)

How is Cutler so high and what are these bogus intangibles ratings he put there? Where is he getting them from? Also, why in the world is there so much love for Matt Schaub? The guy hasn't won a single game, he's only started 2 and those were behind offensive lines that could actually block, and he had a running game there...what in the world is he going to do behind the garbage they have in Houston and with an aging and injured Ahman Green running the ball. I just don't get what he's baseing these rankings on because a lot of his "numbers" contradict his actual "rankings."

5. Utilize "Power Rankings" as often as possible.

They are easy and the readers love them, especially when they're done 5 months before training camp even starts. My preferred method of ranking teams is the dartboard method, but others tend to favor the pull-a-random-team-out-of-your-ass method instead. Either will do, however. You decide which one best fits your mode of analysis when writing about the NFL.

Oh yes, you're completely objective when you rank the flashy quarterback who was LAST in the league in completion percentage (barely 50%) a whopping SEVENTH in the league.

Anyone who watched such Titans games against the Skins or the Eagles would have seen a quarterback who was shaky in the pocket and couldn't complete a mid-range pass to save his life. I remember sitting next to an Eagles fan during that Titans game, and he kept on exclaiming how ****ty Young was, and it was almost embarrassing to watch. Now it's embarrassing to watch NFL "analysts" gush all over the kid.

The biggest problem I have with this list, is that Eli Manning is ranked ahead of Trent Green and Matt Schaub is ranked above Jason Campbell. Trent Green has done better at this age than Eli Manning has done and probably will do in his career. And Matt Schaub hasn't proven anything. He hasn't won a game in the past two years (I don't know if he's won a single game) and he hasn't had enough experience to warrant him being the 19th best QB, especially behind that porous O-line.

:gaintsuck

Queeny is really trying to boost his "credibility" rating here by rating Homo-the-Fumbler higher than Campbell?! Granted, Homo has proven himself a little more given the better situation and system he had last year, and Campbell's relative inexperience with (1) a totally new offense to both him AND his teammates, and (2) not getting many snaps in practice with the first team offense. But give them both about five games this season and we'll see Campbell's stats pounding Homo's into dust!!

JC and the Skins offense will be THE story of the 2007 NFL season! Combined with a resurgent defense without the injuries we had last year, and not even the perpetual Haters in the Press will be able to deny the Skins!

i don't have a problem with where JC is. granted it's mostly because I expected him to be close to the bottom considering the fact that petey was only going to base his rank to what he did this past season. and since in-depth analysis isn't petey's cup of tea, i figured the record under campbell, his completeion percentage, and QB rating last season with a crappy team was enough to help him with his decision. there are a million things to consider when rating campbell that we, as skins fans, know of. but to others, campbell is just another young QB who has the evil Dan as an owner, only one good WR in santana moss, and the curse of the Redskins franchise hovering over him waiting for him to fail.

Jason Campbell....26! I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of talking heads were raving about JC last year, so I find it a total slap in JC's face to rank him at 26! He had Ben Roethlisberger at 17! Ben totally stunk up the joint last year yet he got 17?

Big Ben has won a super bowl and JC has not. We all think JC will be good, but you cannot start him that high. He has to prove himself and then move up these lists. Right now his resume includes a low completion percentage to go along with a 2-5 career record. Do you put that at the top of the NFL?

Young is ranked so high because he stepped in for an 0-5 Titans team that went 3-13(?) the year before and almost got them a wild card berth. He is going to be a great QB in this league. Can't knock that.

We need to stop reading these pre-season lists, they don't mean anything. It's all people's opinions based on past knowledge, none of these really account for upside or potential in the future. Don't get mad at JC at 26, he'll be in the top half if not better at this time next year.

I can not believe Young is rated that high. Great athlete, did well when he played last year but mainly with his legs and off play action when rolling was very dangerous. Has a lot to do to become a top 10 QB though. I think he is at risk of being another Mike Vick - great athlete but average QB.

There are not that many really good QBs around the NFL at the moment hopefully after this season Jason is top 10.

You would trade JC in one second for Vince Young. So would every other football fan on earth.

You would trade JC in one second for Vince Young. So would every other football fan on earth.

In their first seven games:

Young:

80/173

46% completion rating

841 yards

Campbell:

110/207

53.1%

1,297 yards

Young:

120 ypg

4.86 ypa

Campbell:

185 ypg

6.27 ypa

Young:

5 TDs

7 INTs

Campbell:

10 TDs

6 INTs

Young:

2.89 TD%

4.04 INT%

Campbell:

4.83 TD%

2.89 INT%

Young:

53.64 QB rating

Campbell:

76.49 QB rating

I wouldn't.

I wouldn't.

That is because you are a total homer. If JC played for another team besides the Skins....and you had the choice between Vince Young, who has already proven that he can singlehandedly win games.......and JC, who has not proven this ability, you would take Vince Young in less than a second.

So would every other coach in the league.

I think it's too early to compare Vince Young and Campbell. Let them BOTH play full seasons and see how they do. Young seemed to rally the abysmal Titans but they fell short of the playoffs. Campbell did not rally the Redskins to anything except a bunch of people on here expecting great things.

I wonder if Carr was the starter in Carolina will he be up as hgh as Jake Debum. I don't like him, I think he is the king of throw em ups. Espically whe he played us. He threw that ball in the air for like 30 seconds before Taylor caught that interception to end the game. I hope that Fox gets smart and starts Carr ASAP.

That is because you are a total homer. If JC played for another team besides the Skins....and you had the choice between Vince Young, who has already proven that he can singlehandedly win games.......and JC, who has not proven this ability, you would take Vince Young in less than a second.

So would every other coach in the league.

He's too much like Vick, who had the exact same type of hype surrounding him early on, too. I put a high priority on pocket presence and accuracy downfield. Those opportunities downfield don't happen but maybe 2 times a game...3 if you're lucky.

I want a QB who has the poise to remain calm as the play develops, the presence to move effectively inside the pocket to buy time, and the touch to deliver the ball on those few moments when a quick strike down field presents itself. In my eyes, Campbell provides that more than Young does, at least at the moment. Young had one completion over 40 yards. Campbell had three completions over 40 yards in half the amount of games. As well as, Young only had two more TDs in twice as many games. Sorry, for me that won't cut it.

I also want a QB who doesn't throw INTs more than he throws TDs. That's definitely Campbell over Young right now.

Stop thinking the only people who see a good QB in Campbell are "homers". It's an intellectually lazy response and only shows that you have little to provide to your side of the debate.

The article is here(Click on link for full article).

Click on the link for the full article. Basically he has Tony Homo ranked 11, Vince Young 7, Matt Schaub 19, and Jason Campbell....26! I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of talking heads were raving about JC last year, so I find it a total slap in JC's face to rank him at 26! He had Ben Roethlisberger at 17! Ben totally stunk up the joint last year yet he got 17? Anyway, maybe I am overreacting but I just think it is wrong.

There is no way Vince Young should be ranked over Jason Campbell... To rank him 7th is a disgrace. They both should be ranked in the 20s (with Tony Romo sits to pee).

No I would not.

I have nothing against Vince Young and I'm basing my view off 3 games I saw him play last year which is not exactly a complete body of work. That said what I saw was a young guy who is a great athlete and looked like a really good leader - great intangibles and all that - but bottom line did not look to me like a guy who was a great passer of the ball.

he was not comfortable dropping back 5 steps checking off receivers and throwing the intermediate routes. He either went short, threw deep or ran.

It might have been game planning or the lack of talent out wide but to me he looked like he needs a lot of work to become a great passer. Campbell looked better IMO.

I am a guy who wants my QB to be a passer first - I'm not a fan of scrambling QB's which might be one of the reasons I'm not sold on Young. Great of they have some mobility but I want them to run only when all else fails not as their second read.

At this point I would say Campbell is better passer than Young. Whether that translates into more wins is another matter and will depend to a large extent on the talent around them.

Again if you factor in where Young was drafted and what his contract looks like I'd stick with Jason at this point. Both are a gamble, Young might have more upside but I think he is also a bigger threat to bust.

I look forward to someone digging this post out in about 5 years when Young has just won his second Super Bowl :doh:

The article is here(Click on link for full article).

Click on the link for the full article. Basically he has Tony Homo ranked 11, Vince Young 7, Matt Schaub 19, and Jason Campbell....26! I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of talking heads were raving about JC last year, so I find it a total slap in JC's face to rank him at 26! He had Ben Roethlisberger at 17! Ben totally stunk up the joint last year yet he got 17? Anyway, maybe I am overreacting but I just think it is wrong.

Campbell is an unproven rookie so I have no argument with his ranking, but the Brady- v Manning argument annoys me. Manning is >>>>>> Brady. Brady's a great QB who has done a great job in a great team but none of those Patriot teams won the SB based on offense but on the defense. Mannings teams have always had flaws there.

Put it like this

Manning on Patriots - > same number of SBs won, plus maybe another 1 or 2

Brady on Colts - > no SBs, and many less games won

It's hard to believe that people still buy that "proven winner" thing. Football is a team sport, a QB can do jack squat if his defense is woeful

Archived