Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: MMQB - Ranking All 32 Qbs (Peter Queen)

Commander Adama

The article is here(Click on link for full article).

It's been a little boring around the NFL over the last month or so. Lots of off-the-field crappola going on, but not much to sink your football teeth into. Here's my attempt to stir things up. It's the first MMQB Quarterback Ratings.

Here's what I've done: ranked the 2007 starting quarterbacks in the league from 1 to 32, from Manning (Peyton) to Croyle (Brodie). The rankings are in the order of quarterbacks who will have the best seasons in 2007 and 2007 only.

The highlights:

• Manning's No. 1 (Surprise!): A year ago, I would have picked Tom Brady over Manning. But fair is fair. Manning beat Brady twice in 2006, won the Super Bowl and put all the can't-win-the-big-one stuff behind him. Now Peyton has the ultimate reward -- being picked over Brady in the inaugural MMQB Ratings.

• I'd take Drew Brees over Carson Palmer if I were starting a team right now. Sacrilege! With fewer weapons and the same comeback from serious injury, Brees has narrowly outplayed Palmer over the past two years, and I think it's a good bet he will in '07.

• Want my upset specials in the top 10? Try Vince Young and Jon Kitna. Young's the most feared young player in football right now. More feared than Reggie Bush. He ran for nearly as many touchdowns last year (seven) as Mike Vick has rushed for in the last two years (eight). And I put Kitna at No. 9 because, quite simply, he is the right trigger man for the Lions' offense, and I believe he'll throw for 4,300 yards again.

• It's not that I don't like Donovan McNabb. I do. I just don't trust him to stay healthy. I rank the Eagles' QB 12th because I have no confidence that McNabb, at 30 and having missed a combined 13 games over the last two years, will be upright in December.

• Ben Roethlisberger 17th? What gives? From Year 1 to Year 2 of his career, his completion percentage dropped 3.7 points; from year two to three, 3.0 points. His TD-to-interception ratio, plus-eight in 2005, dropped to minus-five last year. He is profoundly inconsistent. I say he's a C-plus player until I see six or eight straight weeks of the same guy.

• Mike Vick's understudy will be better this year than Mike Vick. I've got Matt Schaub 19th and Vick 21st. Schaub's gobbling up Gary Kubiak's system this spring and I think he'll be a low-error, efficient player. I have no idea what Vick will be, or if the feds will let him finish what he starts with the dog-fighting probe progressing to a possible indictment this summer in his home state of Virginia. Vick is still far too inconsistent throwing the ball ... stunningly so for a man with his talent.

• Eli Manning, who could playing for two jobs this year (his own and Tom Coughlin's), enters the pop charts at number 23. He'll need to be feistier and significantly more accurate, neither of which I am confident will happen, to save his career in the Meadowlands.

• Rex Grossman's got some improving to do. I hadn't seen such a low-performing passer in the Super Bowl since Trent Dilfer with the Ravens seven years ago, and quite frankly I'm surprised the Bears didn't get some insurance at the position with a youngster in the draft. I have him 27th, fairly ridiculous for a first-round pick who started in the Super Bowl.

Click on the link for the full article. Basically he has Tony Homo ranked 11, Vince Young 7, Matt Schaub 19, and Jason Campbell....26! I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of talking heads were raving about JC last year, so I find it a total slap in JC's face to rank him at 26! He had Ben Roethlisberger at 17! Ben totally stunk up the joint last year yet he got 17? Anyway, maybe I am overreacting but I just think it is wrong.

aside from Romo sits to pee, young, and kitna, that list is pretty close. ranking campbell 26th isnt a big problem. he went 2-5 with a poor completition percentage and a low QB rating on a bad team. obviously i think he'll do much better this year and he will most likely improve, but currently at 26 is nothing to get upset about.

Romo sits to pee at 11 is a complete joke, and young at 7 is even worse. kitna is that high probably because of already in the hall of fame calvin johnson.

I can not believe Young is rated that high. Great athlete, did well when he played last year but mainly with his legs and off play action when rolling was very dangerous. Has a lot to do to become a top 10 QB though. I think he is at risk of being another Mike Vick - great athlete but average QB.

There are not that many really good QBs around the NFL at the moment hopefully after this season Jason is top 10.

We're all hopeful as Redskins fans regarding JC because

A) We're Redskins fans

B) He's the first young, fairly highly-touted QB prospect we've had in the spotlight in a long, long time

C) Over those 7 games, there was enough promise to get us excited

However, from the perspective of an outsider, I have no problem with folks doubting JC. If Campbell were on the Browns, I don't think I'd be sitting here talking about how JC is going to take Cleveland to new heights this year.

Honestly, given the exact same situation, Jon Kitna probably gives a team a better chance to win an individual game in 2007. JC is an investment in the future. If King said that JC was 26th and will never be good, then I'd have a problem with it.

But playing QB in the NFL is TOUGH. Look at how long it took Brees to figure things out. Lots of guys in that same mold. JC may very well struggle this season-- especially given our weakness at WR.

I'd probably rank him a bit higher, but I'm biased. I think it's a pretty fair ranking.

I can not believe Young is rated that high. Great athlete, did well when he played last year but mainly with his legs and off play action when rolling was very dangerous. Has a lot to do to become a top 10 QB though. I think he is at risk of being another Mike Vick - great athlete but average QB.

Young is going to get the Vick comparisons for two reasons:

1. He's a good athlete.

2. He's black.

As far as I'm concerned, that's where the comparisons end.

There are two moments in Young's career that made me re-think my opinion about him:

--The comeback at Ohio St. when Vince rallied UT and won the game WITH HIS ARM.

--USC was a better team than UT in the Rose Bowl. But Young won that game by himself. That is something rarely seen in football. That was like watching a basketball game on the gridiron.

College success does not equal NFL success, I know.

However, unlike Vick, there has always been an "air" around Young that screams WINNER.

I wasn't very high on Vick coming out of VT because I thought his accolades were based on a fairly small sample size. His "best" game (Sugar Bowl against FSU) was still a game that FSU won by double-digits.

Vick is a veteran now, and he doesn't even crack my top 15 QB's in the league.

I'd be STUNNED if we're saying the same thing about Young in six years.

B) He's the first young, fairly highly-touted QB prospect we've had in the spotlight in a long, long time

I think that Heath Shuler and Patrick Ramsey were both very highly touted (particularly Shuler) ... we just haven't done well at picking good QBs - and they were'nt that long ago.

Young is going to get the Vick comparisons for two reasons:

1. He's a good athlete.

2. He's black.

However, unlike Vick, there has always been an "air" around Young that screams WINNER.

... Before last season vick's winning percentage entering the season was .618 putting him at the sixth spot among current NFL starting qbs. I understand the knocks on Vick, but as far as being a winner, Vick has always been a winner. He isn't a good QB, but he does win.

he (petie queen) said that he takes into account wins and playoff wins (paloffs!) then he gives kitna such a high rating for 3-13? Romo sits to pee has six 6 wins over the span and he is 11th?

Romo sits to pee! this is the year TO blows up his team(year two) who is after watching last year isnt the same receiver he was 5 years ago(not to mention his gator arms)

also it is supposed to be a measure of how productive they will be in 2007...V Young hs no recievers I mean GARBAHGE!!! i mean the titans are so desparate they offered Meshawn Johnson $8 mil over 2 years ( who turned them down)

Kitna will throw for a lot of yards but has no line and an average at best running game..sounds like a productive offense!

Big Ben is about right in my opinion a decent Qb in a new offense

M. Hasselbeck? with his line not as good as a few years agoa and a couple injuries to him his RB and his WRs make me suspect of his production i would have him so high either

M Shaub?? are you kidding me get out of here, the guy is stepping behind the worst line in NFL history the last 5 years and has a well worn RB at 30 in Ahman Green and one good WR not to mention the guy has started two games (0-2 for those of you keeping score)

Jp Losman??? getting better but no help around him...no RB none ok name me a buffalo RB...i'll wait....see...none that could crack our top4 for sure amd who does he have at WR peerless price? sounds like the offense for the ages

all these QB are rated above JC ....this year we will we will see.. best thing about this MMQB is that thre isnt one next week to tick me off!!

P.S. Ithink A smith was about 5-8 spots too low he has some weapons and the 49ers look to make the playoffs or get close (paloffs!!)

53 Bostic-

Sadly, Shuler WAS kind of long ago. JKC was still alive when we drafted him, we still played at RFK, Jimmy Johnson was still coaching Dallas, I had no idea what the internet was, etc.... :)

We're talking almost 15 years ago my friend.

As for Ramsey, I guess I never considered him as "highly-touted" as others. But in a way, Ramsey's career pattern should just make skins fans LESS comfortable about JC. After Ramsey's first 7 games, there were plenty of folks around here talking about how awesome he was going to be.

I wouldnt expect anyone to rate Campbell much higher on any list than King did. Campbell went 2-5 last year, he lost more than 50% of the games he started. Now as Skins fans we know that he is better than that record shows (we think/hope anyway), but an outsider looking in probably wouldn't realize that. :2cents:

For anyone else ranking QBs, this isnt' a big deal. Campbells done nothing on the field yet - being the star of OTAs - doesnt and shouldn't mean anything to anyone but Skins fans.

Problem is, King ranked him as the best player in the 2005 draft. That was until he was drafted by us. Now he's just some schlub. :)

While we saw an emerging young quarterback, the rest of the league naturally saw a young kid who managed to only go 2-5, with the aid of a runningback who gobbled up 1100 yards in that same time.

Besides, I'd rather see Jason ranked 26th than 6th- the less people expect out of us, the better we'll do.

M Shaub?? are you kidding me get out of here, the guy is stepping behind the worst line in NFL history the last 5 years and has a well worn RB at 30 in Ahman Green and one good WR not to mention the guy has started two games (0-2 for those of you keeping score)

Maybe, but Matt can get the ball out of his hands much quicker than Carr could and he's also a very accurate passer - yes, some of that was the line but not all IMO. I like Green, but who knows with that line. Andre Johnson is a stud and not merely good IMO.

It's a fair ranking for JC, all things considered. But still, in the "what have you done for me lately" world that is the NFL, his last game was pretty damn impressive. 21 for 31 for 220 yards, and 2 touchdowns (only 1 pick). And his QB rating has steadily improved game by game over the last 5 starts, too. I don't know if the same can be said about a handful of the guys currently sitting around him. Not to mention that that our offense is returning all it's starters sans Dockery and now Portis is back. Although we're a run-first team, I'd be shocked if he's not top 10 in yards and rating by the end of the year.

Random Side Note #1:

If you Google 'Jason Campbell' you'll see three pictures listed before the search results. The first two are of JC at Auburn, the last is of.... Bjork??

Random Side Note #2:

Peter King came out and bashed Boston's train station and praised Washington's at the end of the article. Something tells me that it was really hard for him to write that, considering how much time he spends writing about how awesome the Patriots/Red Sox are and how the Redskins will inevitably suck.:)

I don't know about anyone else, but a lot of talking heads were raving about JC last year, so I find it a total slap in JC's face to rank him at 26! He had Ben Roethlisberger at 17! Ben totally stunk up the joint last year yet he got 17? Anyway, maybe I am overreacting but I just think it is wrong.

I think 26 might be low, but not terribly unrealistic based on last year, but who was raving about JC last year??? Larry Michaels and Bram Weinstein? The only people I ever hear raving about JC's performance last year are right here on this board.

Hail,

H

This is a good thing! We want to be underestimated all season long. We want all the "Experts" to have Campbell low on their lists. We shouldn't rip Peter King for being blindly hypocritical saying that he values "Wins" first and foremost and then have him put Cutler 16 spots higher than Campbell despite the fact that they both had 2 wins. We should thank him and every other "expert" for continually rating everything about this team as low as possible.

Personally, I like the low rankings from the "Experts". If only because every year the "experts" turn out being 85% wrong with just about everything.

Some of youse are unbelievable. Roethlisberger has won a SB, and somebody's outraged that he's ranked above a 2-5 Skins QB.... :doh:

Nobody knows yet if Campbell is the next Steve McNair or the next Gus Frerotte. Yeah, his start looked very promising, though quite frankly not a promising as Frerotte's and right about on par with Ramsey. He might turn out great, or he might be a bust. He definitely had release and accuracy issues that could be exploited if not corrected now that there's film on him. All of us want to bash Tony Homo because he declined towards the end of the season once defenses knew how to prepare for him, but noone wants to admit it's possible the same fate might await JC. I hope Campbell turns out to be all-pro, but NOONE on this board truly knows yet. The NFL is NOT college, and plenty of guys start out great and turn out to be busts (Rob Johnson, Charlie Batch, etc.), whereas some guys start terribly and have HOF careers (Bradshaw, Favre). Let's just hope Campbell gets it together and stop whining about every mediot who deosn't salivate all over his potential.

All things considered I think the list is pretty good....Romo sits to pee-No way...Kitna I think would be further down but even as a Skins fan I cant see Campbell rated any higher than 16 or 17 just because he is unproven really....E. Manning needs to fall a few rungs....since his accuracy is for crap. I think you will see Green higher, Young, Hasselbeck, Kitna, Romo sits to pee, McNair (love him but he too old these days), Schaub, and possibly Delhomme, showing up lower on the list when the stats start rolling in...

Archived