Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do GatorSkins still exist?

Jino

I ran into a co-ed in the airport in Madrid, Spain in 1996 and she had a Florida Gators Wuerffel shirt on. I joked with her that Wuerffel would never be a quarterback in the NFL given his limited arm...........little realizing that the REDSKINS of all teams would bring him here and start him............ :(

We don't even have any of the flordia players still on the team. I would like to think that a FEW fans came because of SS but stuck around after he left because they liked the team.

If we were doing good I could see it, but I can't imagine anyone supporting this team that wasn't already here pre-Spurrier. I doubt we retained any Florida fans from that experience.

I am a gator skin. But I was a skin fan before I was a gator fan.

Same here. I went to UF back in the mid 90's when the Gators beat....(oh, who was it??? Oh, FSU, that's right!) for the National Championship game. ;) Spurrier was a great college coach but I knew the Skins would be in trouble when he became our coach. He is not meant for the NFL.

Randy Thomas is the only one.

Coles and Hall both had one good year and then injuries got them. Morton's numbers didn't look too bad but he was bad. I have never seen so many punts hit the ground and roll (well maybe Derrick Frost's two years ago).

Randy Thomas only one?

surely you have a lapse of mental ability

Dallas 05, Monday Night, 4 minutes left in the game

Brunell going deep......... CAUGHT by .............

the guy who caught those touchdowns...... played for the Jets.

:helmet: I've gone full circle twice with Spurrier as a lifelong Skins and Game****s fan. I hated him at Florida, like everybody did who was not a Florida fan. I had to start liking him as the Skins coach, and actually was impressed initially when he said we had to beat the Cowboys. Then when he lost the team and his will to coach at the end of his second season, I started to hate him again. Then incredibly, he becomes the coach of the Game****s, and it starts again with now me being at the point where he is my second favorite all-time coach for the Game****s after the late Joe Morrison ('84 Black Magic team). If Spurrier does win a SEC Championship, I may reconsider that order again. But he will never be on any favorite coach of the Redskins list for me. Ever!

Remember when Spurrier's hiring brought along a influx of Florida fans who we simply termed "GatorSkins?" Are they still around or did they leave with Spurrier? I wonder if the 'Skins are still a presence in the Gainesville area. If they do exist, how many of you are out there? Anyone live in that area, I welcome your thoughts.

I post this because many UF fans just simply rooted for their Gators. When Spurrier came along, it was as if they inherited another team in the 'Skins. Now once you start rooting for a team, there's no going back. The ties with the team only get stronger. Am I making a correct assumption?

I never even knew that spurrier was so popular among florida fans.

Ateast we did not go after the likes of Ward or Henderson. When was the last time the Noles won Football and Basketball Championships in the same year? Gator Fan.

enjoy it while it lasts my friend, thats all im sayin...basketball emptied and urban myer and the football team wont get another one...1-2 years FSU will be back dominating college football again...

Dont think so....just take a peek at the 11 recruits weve already nabbed for 08. Things are changing.

I never even knew that spurrier was so popular among florida fans.

To gator fans, spurrier was almost a god. So when he left, it was like a part of the gators were gone and fans followed.

For myself, I have redskins in my blood. My grandparents and their parents were fans from the beginning and I was raised as a redskin fan. As well, both of my parents graduated from UF and I grew up in gainesville, so I was raised to love the gators also.

While I am a fan of the skins and the gators, skins runs deeper in my blood and always will.

To gator fans, spurrier was almost a god. So when he left, it was like a part of the gators were gone and fans followed.

For myself, I have redskins in my blood. My grandparents and their parents were fans from the beginning and I was raised as a redskin fan. As well, both of my parents graduated from UF and I grew up in gainesville, so I was raised to love the gators also.

While I am a fan of the skins and the gators, skins runs deeper in my blood and always will.

Never really liked the Gators, mainly because I had an uncle that lived down there and he'd always call the house and talk trash about them to my mom. He thought Spurrier was Godlike as well. When he became the Redskins coach, I was very apprehensive.

When Breckin Meyer or Urban Planet or whatever his name is became the Florida coach, it was like "Spurrier Who?" all of a sudden.

You can tell by the Nole for a user name.

I am a Skins/Gators fan. I have been a Redskins fan since I can remember football. I am a UofF graduate and so have been a Gator fan since I attended.

To all you who hate the Gators ... Ha ha ha ha ... We are #1 everyone else are hoping to get better.

I am hoping that my Skins will be as good as my Gators this season. That would be awesome.

Spurrier wasn't even the best college football coach in the state of Florida at that time--let alone the entire country.

Even the strongest UF supporters here thought the guy was an embarrassment, with his visor throwing and complaining about officiating every single time that Florida State or Miami destroyed him. He looked like he was going to cry during postgame pressers.

I know several Skins fans that just turned off the tv for 2 years when Spurrier took the reins. Ass-kickings were certain to follow.

The one funny thing Spurrier did that no other coach I have seen in 30 years of college ball did--the guy would get so fed up with his offense, he would occasionally punt on third down.

No trick play....no line up in a regular formation, then drop someone back quickly to punt on the fly. Just simply line up in special teams and punt outright.

It was hysterical. And when asked by rabid reporters after the games why he would do such a thing? "Because our offense is terrible. We can't get yards against anybody. So we may as well just punt."

It was hilarious.

UF fans turned on Spurrier when he took another SEC job, with SC.

Case in point:

Spurrier wasn't even the best college football coach in the state of Florida at that time--let alone the entire country.

Even the strongest UF supporters here thought the guy was an embarrassment, with his visor throwing and complaining about officiating every single time that Florida State or Miami destroyed him. He looked like he was going to cry during postgame pressers.

I know several Skins fans that just turned off the tv for 2 years when Spurrier took the reins. Ass-kickings were certain to follow.

The one funny thing Spurrier did that no other coach I have seen in 30 years of college ball did--the guy would get so fed up with his offense, he would occasionally punt on third down.

No trick play....no line up in a regular formation, then drop someone back quickly to punt on the fly. Just simply line up in special teams and punt outright.

It was hysterical. And when asked by rabid reporters after the games why he would do such a thing? "Because our offense is terrible. We can't get yards against anybody. So we may as well just punt."

It was hilarious.

Archived