Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley on the Radio

D-Day

i understand that completely. i understand that these things take a LONG LONG time sometimes. but they did not BEGIN negotiations, according to many reports that can be found in some recent threads, until recently. look at the dockery situation, even though he wanted more than he was worth. people said 'these things take time why would you worry about how the organization is treating him?' and then suddenly he was a buffalo bill. im not trying to cry wolf here, and - like i said - i still think the contract will get done. but we just need to place a higher priority on getting distractions out of the way for our current players.

tgijef

I wouldn't read too much into the timing issue. If a contract extension is not hammered out before the season starts then I would be concerned. The Skins haven't finalized the rookie contracts yet and probably still have a move or two coming in free agency before camp starts. All of those things will factor into the contract extensions they work out with current players. Why rush Cooley's contract extension only to have it handcuff them when they go to sign Landry or add some depth before camp in free agency? The good news is that they're talking. Hopefully this will be put to bed soon.

Yeah... NOT the highest paid in football. But I WOULD understand him being paid as a top 5 TE, as I believe that is what he is. He is better the Shockey, and better then Witten and has proven that.

Highest paid tight end is a relative term. I see it like buying a new car. Cooley would be the highest paid TE based upon contracts signed through last fall but probably not once contracts are finalized through the fall of 2007. Just like if you buy a new car before June you would probably get a 2007 model. After June, the 2007's are discounted as the 2008's start rolling out. I'm sure that plays into the negotiations at this point.

Interesting.

Cooley says talks on a contract extension have been ongoing since January.

LaCanfora says as of the weekend, talks toward a contract extension had not begun, and he wondered what the team was waiting for.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200121

Interesting how far off reality and a beat reporter's blog can be. But, the good news is Jason finally took the ribbing that he's never at Redskins Park the right way and began showing up. With hope, this will give him sources in the building, like the players and such, to help him get the real information out there for us so he doesn't get burnt as often blogging from home talking to all his "football people".

Highest paid tight end is a relative term. I see it like buying a new car. Cooley would be the highest paid TE based upon contracts signed through last fall but probably not once contracts are finalized through the fall of 2007. Just like if you buy a new car before June you would probably get a 2007 model. After June, the 2007's are discounted as the 2008's start rolling out. I'm sure that plays into the negotiations at this point.

In all honesty, I would really care less if he got paid the most of any TE as long as we could still sign our guys. Its not my money, so it doesnt matter how it gets spent as long as it does not affect being able to resign our guys, and guys we draft.

In all honesty, I would really care less if he got paid the most of any TE as long as we could still sign our guys. Its not my money, so it doesnt matter how it gets spent as long as it does not affect being able to resign our guys, and guys we draft.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel too. I just wouldn't want to see one player signed at the expense of being able to sign others that are needed.

If the extension gets done, many of us will likely be shocked by the reported numbers, but in a year or two it will seem like a bargain. Imagine if we'd gotten Dock to sign an extension with $10m guaranteed. Many (including me) would've said we'd overpaid, but now, relative to what he and Leonard Davis got, it would look good. Remember, KWII's rookie contract was reported to have made him the highest paid TE. Obviously, Cooley deserves more than the F#*$g soljah. Salaries get inflated every year, and numbers are often reported in such a way to overestimate the contract's real value (Stephen Davis's 2nd contract on paper was the biggest for a RB, but he never collected on the fat backloaded years) so claiming someone is the highest paid (unless it's at QB or CB) at their position isn't quite what it's cracked up to be. It's just a way to stroke the player's ego and polish the agent's image.

3. Said Jason Campbell has been here since Feb working 10 hour days and he has impressed everyone

These types of comments about JC have been coming from all of the players and I'm thrilled. Sounds like Jason Campbell wants to be a champion.

It's debateable if he's even the best tight end in the NFC East.

Looking at all four starting TEs first three years in the league & ranking for each category:

# games started

Cooley (41)

Shockey (38)

Witten (38)

Smith (29)

Receptions

Witten (188)

Shockey (183)

Cooley (165)

Smith (122)

Yards

Shockey (2092)

Witten (2082)

Cooley (1822)

Smith (1380)

YPC

Smith (11.6)

Shockey (11.5)

Witten (11.3)

Cooley (11.0)

TDs

Cooley (19)

Witten (13)

Shockey (10)

Smith (9)

% of catches = 1st Down

Shockey (61%)

Cooley (60%)

Smith (59%)

Witten (55%)

Of course, he is a fan favorite, and sometimes it "pays" to pay more for a fan favorite, especially when they're productive.

I had not heard about any of this, but a family member said that on the news last night Cooley was talking about possibly not even being with the Redskins. So I was relieved to come here and find out that was not true and to read the real info about what was actually said. I was sweating, Cooley is my favorite current player. And what a bummer as I finally bit the bullet and bought a Cooley jersey last year. I had been hesitant in years past to spend that much money. Thanks to all for the information.

I too am too far south of DC to pick up that station.

Hail to the Redskins!!

:point2sky

These types of comments about JC have been coming from all of the players and I'm thrilled. Sounds like Jason Campbell wants to be a champion.

Yeah, the praise for JC's progression has been pretty much across the board. Players and coaches. I'm excited to see what he does this year. :applause:

Everyone remember that the salary cap grows every year. Snyder and Cooleys agent will work this out and probably give him a good chunck of change. After the CBA we knew we were going to see bigger contracts (look at Dockery). So when he comes out that he has a larger contract that Vernon Davis (highest paid TE in the leauge), it won't be too much because within 5-7 years, most top 10 TE will be at that level anyways and looking to get more.

I want Cooley to sign to get taht Authentic Cooley Jersey too.

I played in a golf tournament on the Eastern Shore that Cooley was in and talked to him for a few minutes. Real nice guy (def. intoxicated) but he said that he wants to stay here and hopefully things will get done. He said careers are short in this league and obviously if the skins don't get the right figures, he would go elsewhere.

Btw, Cooleys team (best ball) won the tourney

2. He said he wanted to have a contract done by know and he will not let it affect his season if it is not done. Says he is happy here and he wants "to hear the redskins theme for a while".

this really pisses me off in regards to, yet again, how the team treats its playesr. granted, cooley is a classy enough guy that i really believe him when he says it wont affect his season. but, from the team standpoint, its the equivalent of bad customer service. other teams get that kind of thing done to go the extra mile to make players feel welcome and comforrtable on a team, while the redskins - while i do think an extension will come - kind of make a player nervous and uneasy. cooley and our other core players just deserve better from the organization.

tgijef

Dude, you are one of the most negative persons I have ever seen in here, next to Snydermustgo and MassSkinsFan (but we've all gotten used to MSF). Is there ever a happy day in your life? You act like the Redskins are the only team in the NFL that doesn't want to make their players happy.

It's a business. The players know that and the teams know that. So does that mean the Patriots are bad at making their players happy since they ditched Deion Branch their SB MVP or Assante Samuel? Or how about Chicago and Lance Briggs? It's not just us. Wake up man.

i understand that completely. i understand that these things take a LONG LONG time sometimes. but they did not BEGIN negotiations, according to many reports that can be found in some recent threads, until recently. look at the dockery situation, even though he wanted more than he was worth. people said 'these things take time why would you worry about how the organization is treating him?' and then suddenly he was a buffalo bill. im not trying to cry wolf here, and - like i said - i still think the contract will get done. but we just need to place a higher priority on getting distractions out of the way for our current players.

tgijef

Most of these distractions were, the end of the season, preparing for free-agency, the draft and rookie camps. Only so much you can do in a day. He's under contract for this year, so yeah, he had to take a back seat.

If they don't, it will be the biggest blunder of the Gibbs II era.

I'm not disagreeing with you, at all for that matter. But lets not forget about ol' Antonio Pierce. I don't think I'm the only one that still feels bitter about that whole situation...

Interesting.

Cooley says talks on a contract extension have been ongoing since January.

LaCanfora says as of the weekend, talks toward a contract extension had not begun, and he wondered what the team was waiting for.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200121

Interesting how far off reality and a beat reporter's blog can be. But, the good news is Jason finally took the ribbing that he's never at Redskins Park the right way and began showing up. With hope, this will give him sources in the building, like the players and such, to help him get the real information out there for us so he doesn't get burnt as often blogging from home talking to all his "football people".

Art, you come out smelling much nicer when you dont poke and knead. :2cents:

We all get it by now!

Archived