Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley on the Radio

D-Day

Our beloved number 47 was on Elliott this morning and here are some of the things he said. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong as I had just woken up when I heard it.

1. His agent has been talking to the skins since January about the contract. Elliot said that he read in a paper yesterday (don't remember which one as I haven't seen anything on this yet) that they are close to an extension that it is rumored to make him the highest paid TE in the league. When Chris was asked about it he was kind of hesitant at first but said he doesn't know anything about his contract and he says that his agent will come to him when they work something out. Something about his comments came across as unbelieveable to me, maybe it was the hesitation or just that it made little sense that he knows nothing of how the talks are going.

2. He said he wanted to have a contract done by now and he will not let it affect his season if it is not done. Says he is happy here and he wants "to hear the redskins theme for a while".

3. Said Jason Campbell has been here since Feb working 10 hour days and he has impressed everyone.

4. Said as soon as he heard CP's comments on the news he knew he screwed himself (not his words) but that most of the players are at a joking level with him about it. Mentioned something about teasing him about squirrel fighting.

5. For the ladies - He is not engaged, just living with the cheerleader chick, christy for about a year. So you still have time.

That is all I can think of.

Cooley has been on the EITM radio show many times. He always hesitate when answering sensitive questions. It seems that the young man is smart enough to think before putting out sound bites.

I just think that maybe he isn't allowed to discuss the talks or the details in the public. It just sounded as if he knew more then what he said. Thats all I meant.

I'm upset I didn't get to hear these comments in person. However, I'm very happy to hear that talks are on going, and probably are fairly close to getting done.

I love this guy, and I for one want him around for a real long time.

Well, at least we know that a deal will get done. After all the moaning by people about how we were going to let him go, its good to see the deal being worked out so we dont have to listen to those people anymore. Once we get it done, we will have one of the top 5 TE's in the league locked up for years.

2. He said he wanted to have a contract done by know and he will not let it affect his season if it is not done. Says he is happy here and he wants "to hear the redskins theme for a while".

this really pisses me off in regards to, yet again, how the team treats its playesr. granted, cooley is a classy enough guy that i really believe him when he says it wont affect his season. but, from the team standpoint, its the equivalent of bad customer service. other teams get that kind of thing done to go the extra mile to make players feel welcome and comforrtable on a team, while the redskins - while i do think an extension will come - kind of make a player nervous and uneasy. cooley and our other core players just deserve better from the organization.

tgijef

2. He said he wanted to have a contract done by know and he will not let it affect his season if it is not done. Says he is happy here and he wants "to hear the redskins theme for a while".

this really pisses me off in regards to, yet again, how the team treats its playesr. granted, cooley is a classy enough guy that i really believe him when he says it wont affect his season. but, from the team standpoint, its the equivalent of bad customer service. other teams get that kind of thing done to go the extra mile to make players feel welcome and comforrtable on a team, while the redskins - while i do think an extension will come - kind of make a player nervous and uneasy. cooley and our other core players just deserve better from the organization.

tgijef

Dude... Are you serious? Contract talks are not simple. The team can not just give into whatever the player wants, and they need to work out something that works for both. Year length, bonus', salary, etc... It is not a simple project, and takes time to make sure everything is in order and right. It takes time, its a business, and it will be done.

Two things...

-Ive said it before and Ill say it again (until its actually done, of course). As soon as they extend Cooley, Im getting an authentic.

-MisterPinstripe, I love your sig. Its so bad its awesome.

:D I took art lessons.

I agree they need to get the ball rolling on the contract extension, However I do not agree he should be payed as the #1 TE in the buisness. But I also feel if they don't give him a contract like that and continue to pay mediocre players high salaries he could eventually walk. So in other words the skins front office is pretty much forced to make him the highest paid TE.

I agree they need to get the ball rolling on the contract extension, However I do not agree he should be payed as the #1 TE in the buisness. But I also feel if they don't give him a contract like that and continue to pay mediocre players high salaries he could eventually walk. So in other words the skins front office is pretty much forced to make him the highest paid TE.

Definitely not the highest TE. He and his agent would have no support to say he should be paid more then Gonzo or Crumpler, or Gates. I would think there is reason for him to get paid as a top 5 TE, but definitely not the top.

Dude... Are you serious? Contract talks are not simple. The team can not just give into whatever the player wants, and they need to work out something that works for both. Year length, bonus', salary, etc... It is not a simple project, and takes time to make sure everything is in order and right. It takes time, its a business, and it will be done.

:D I took art lessons.

i understand that completely. i understand that these things take a LONG LONG time sometimes. but they did not BEGIN negotiations, according to many reports that can be found in some recent threads, until recently. look at the dockery situation, even though he wanted more than he was worth. people said 'these things take time why would you worry about how the organization is treating him?' and then suddenly he was a buffalo bill. im not trying to cry wolf here, and - like i said - i still think the contract will get done. but we just need to place a higher priority on getting distractions out of the way for our current players.

tgijef

The interview should probably be on the website this afternoon for anyone that wants to listen to it. And for anyone that cares once the season gets started Cooley talks to elliot every monday after the game.

tgijef

Why does it make you disgruntled? For a change, this organization is making an attempt to sign it's homegrown talent instead of letting them opt for free agency.

When dealing with contracts, number are thrown into the mix, which mean that both parties involved have to be agreeable with the figures being explored.

:helmet:

i understand that completely. i understand that these things take a LONG LONG time sometimes. but they did not BEGIN negotiations, according to many reports that can be found in some recent threads, until recently. look at the dockery situation, even though he wanted more than he was worth. people said 'these things take time why would you worry about how the organization is treating him?' and then suddenly he was a buffalo bill. im not trying to cry wolf here, and - like i said - i still think the contract will get done. but we just need to place a higher priority on getting distractions out of the way for our current players.

tgijef

Ah ok, I see where you are coming from. But in all honesty, we can not realyl know what was going on. There might have been very good reason why they waited, heck, they might have started some basic talks awhile back. So as long as they get it done, I am not going to fault them for when it got done, because we have no clue whats going on and why they waited. But I do understand your point.

Something about his comments came across as unbelieveable to me, maybe it was the hesitation or just that it made little sense that he knows nothing of how the talks are going.

I heard the interview as well and I'm sure his agent keeps him updated

he's just playing the humble role, portraying himself as someone who cares more about staying here than how much he's gonna get paid

Great that the team and he are in conract talks

BUT...

The highest paid TE in football?

He is very good but ...

Well anyway Art long ago convinced me that the cap is a excuse for cheap owners to not pay players

Yeah... NOT the highest paid in football. But I WOULD understand him being paid as a top 5 TE, as I believe that is what he is. He is better the Shockey, and better then Witten and has proven that. Shockey has been overhyped since his first year in the league, and while he is a good TE, he is not top 5. I might be missing someone, but I would put Cooley at either 4 or 5 with Witten a spot behind. Depending on if I am missing someone.

Archived