Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

has joe gibbs ever freaked out?

cmoney51951

The Washington Post Sunday Magazine had a story a while back about Gibbs and mentioned the mood at the Park heading into the playoff game against Philly in early '91. The previous game between the teams had been the Body Bag Game on MNF where the Eagles put 2 of our QBs out of the game (B-Mitch had to finish at QB) and other Skins also got injured. Gibbs apparently used the comments the Eagles had made after the game as huge motivation and also his personal disdain for Buddy Ryan. I don't know if there was a game Gibbs wanted to win as badly as that one. I remember the end of the game (Skins 20-6) and Gibbs giving Buddy a dismissive wave across the sidelines as Ryan waddled off the Vet sidelines for the last time....damn, I still get chills thinking about it!

He must have done something behind closed doors last season because the team did change down the stretch. They only won two more games but they looked and acted like the Redskins again.

I think he did the same back in December 2005 too, that six win streak wasn't a breeze. He had to have done something to motivate the team to win against the Cards, Giants, and Eagles. The 35-7 win over Dallas was certainly vintage Gibbs if ever I saw it, the team was so ready for that game that they forgot Dallas sucked that year.

he tore into Buckhantz when Steve was interviewing him during the preseason of 91...Steve's question was basically "you guys were predicted to win the Super Bowl, why are you 1-3 in the preseason?" And Gibbs was like "I don't think anybody said we were going to the Super Bowl, who said that?" Buckhantz made the mistake of saying "well Playboy for one..." Gibbs promptly interrupted him and went on sort of a "tirade." But that's the most I've ever seen him snap in an interview, I've heard that he's done some crucial things behind closed doors though.

Come on you guys are forgetting last year....It wasn't a press conference but it was in the locker room a few weeks after the Titans game when he went off on the team...it was on ES and George Michael said that "it was about time" because the Redskins were being an embarrassment to him (Gibbs), his legacy and the fans....They joked and said it wasn't that harsh as other coaches (Parcells, Ditka) but the players got the message.

Anyway what I remember a while ago, the skins were having trouble and they had a 4th and 1 to go...Gibbs elected to punt because the offense that game was worthless...and the decision didn't sit well with our beloved Gary Clark. Clark pulled an "Andre Reed Superbowl tantrum" on the side lines....Joe immediately and calmly walked over to him, pointed in his face basically saying "shut it"....not knowing exactly what he said but young Mr Clark eventually went on his way. The announcer even saw Clark's actions and said "Hey He (Clark) better cut it out if he wants to be here (in Washington)....Joe just has to minorly "crack the whip" One last thing our Joe Theismann is an egomanic...love him though....he still is upset by Gibbs benching him one game. If you were to listen to his commentary (not any more) he always mentions that the master (Gibbs) sit him down. But he loves Joe Gibbs..he's probably still afraid of Grandpa Joe....HAIL

i doubt joe gibbs at his old age still has that fire in him that he had during his first tenure to get angry at half time. none of us know cause were not in the locker room, but i just cant imagine him at age 60 whatever losing it at players.

ask renaldo...

He must have done something behind closed doors last season because the team did change down the stretch.

Yea he took over calling most of the plays instead of A.S.. It was obvious, A.S. called alot of screens and crap, Gibbs ran it down peoples throats.

Yea he took over calling most of the plays instead of A.S.. It was obvious, A.S. called alot of screens and crap, Gibbs ran it down peoples throats.

I don't know if Gibbs took over, but rather "Suggested" to Al Saunders what should be run

Perhaps, we are going to use the Al Saunders passing offense, and then a combination of the Gibbs/Saunders run offense.

Joe Gibbs gives the most boring press conference anyone could ever sit through. I find this to be one of the intangibles that makes him a HoF coach.

(throat clear) Andy Reid gives (throat clear) the most (throat clear) boring pressers (throat clear) of all (throat clear) NFL coaches

(throat clear)

Time's yours (throat clear)

I do love it when Gibbs gives that little giggle though, and I've never seen a coach stand up for a player like Gibbs does. Anybody remember how "stern" he got when Moss got those big penalties last year??? I still think knows what it takes to motivate his players, listen to any of the "60 seconds with" on the Skins website...it seems like all his players would give a kidney to the man if he asked them.

i doubt joe gibbs at his old age still has that fire in him that he had during his first tenure to get angry at half time. none of us know cause were not in the locker room, but i just cant imagine him at age 60 whatever losing it at players.

Very TRUE,:helmet: I think AS or some other guys fire them up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/pages/172.htm

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

It was the first week of 1991, and the Redskins were facing a playoff game against the Eagles. While the Redskins had missed the playoffs the two previous seasons, Gibbs had lost none of his magic, especially in motivating his team. To help get the Redskins ready for the Eagles, he had taunted his players, saying:

"If you lose this game, Buddy Ryan is going to call you a bunch of fat asses like he did last time. If you don't mind being called a bunch of fat asses, that's your business."

Now it was two days before kickoff. In the parking lot at Redskin Park, Gibbs' car was still covered with snow that had fallen four days earlier. He had arrived for work late Sunday night after a meaningless December 30 victory over Buffalo to end the regular season, had spent New Year's Eve there and still had not left. During a break in a late-night meeting with his coaches, he encountered a reporter he knew well, and he finally let loose with thoughts and emotions he had long been holding back from the public.

He freaked out and lost his cool in the press when someone said that the Redskins were favored over the 49ers. He was mad that the press was giving the 49ers bulletin board material.

Then the Redskins put up 52 points and rolled over the 49ers with ease. I think nearly trippling point spread.

I think Gibbs' pressers would be more exciting if the team actually won. I kind of like the fact that he's as despondent as I am after a loss. I just wish that didn't happen as often as it did last season.

Which current NFL coaches would you consider exciting in press conferences? Gruden is the only one I can think of. Saban (for his stupid comments) and the Tuna had some interesting press conferences. Can't think of any others off of the top of my head.

I posted this before after I read Mark May's book Tales From The Washington Redskins, which I thought was a pretty good read.

There aren't a whole lot of stories out there about Coach losing his cool, but I do recall George Michaels saying that he finally went off last season, and went on to say that he was wondering when this would happen considering he was well aware that Gibbs actually has a very short temper.

Here's an exerpt from the Mark May's book where he describes halftime at that Eagles game:

They came out of the coaches meeting and Gibbs brought everybody together. He told us how poorly we played and announced to the starters, "You guys think you're leaving the game early? You're going to play the entire game." He probably thought this would get us motivated, that maybe we'd all jump up and yell, "Let's go kick some ... ." Instead we just sat there going, "Yeah, yeah, yeah." That's when he lost it.

He was so worked up his voice went up an octave or two. He screamed, "I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU GUYS" and then he punched the blackboard BAM!!! "I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS!" BAM - he punched the blackboard again. This time the blackboard went flying: chalk scatttered all over the place.

Bunsy (their nickname for Gibbs, from him saying move your buns instead of cussing) kept on screaming. The vein in his neck stuck out. I thought he would bust something. Joe admitted after the game he nearly hyperventilated.

We went out and outscored the Eagles 21-0 in the second half to win the game. After the game, we walked out of the locker room with the usual assortment of wraps or ice packs. Even Bunsy had a wrap on his hand. He had fractured a bone on the knockout punch to the blackboard.

I think Gibbs' pressers would be more exciting if the team actually won. I kind of like the fact that he's as despondent as I am after a loss. I just wish that didn't happen as often as it did last season.

Which current NFL coaches would you consider exciting in press conferences? Gruden is the only one I can think of. Saban (for his stupid comments) and the Tuna had some interesting press conferences. Can't think of any others off of the top of my head.

Herman Edwards is one of the worst interviews. Dude sounds like someone is shoving a corn cob up us ass at the end of every sentence. He always seems on the defensive:

Reporter: Coach, nice hair cut. Looks good on you.

Edwards: Whadaya men good haircut. Isn't the whole point of getting a haircut is getting a good one. Do you go out to intentionally get a bad haircut? Because we don't. It's what the barber is supposed to do. give good haircuts. if he doesn't then I don't know what to say for him.

Reporter: Uh..gee thanks for the interview.

The only time I remember him being close to "freaking out" or being upset was in 05' before the 49ers game. He got upset because the media was considering the 49ers not a great team or a easy victory.

maybe he should do it more often cause we destroyed them 52-17.....:laugh:

Archived