Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone know if Rogers ever worked with Green and Sanders

EliMustDie28

I wonder, is anyone re-thinking the draft of 2005 when we landed C-los. Alot of individuals (including I) were clamoring for Arrington's former self (Merriman) and not thinking of the magnitude of our cornerback position.

That year when we played Seattle in the playoffs, Hasselbeck had thrown an interceptible ball into the hands of C-los. What made it so compelling why how he anticipated the timing of the route (sure brought memories of Champ).

I believe that Carlos has the potential to explode if collaborated with special talent around him. He is not merely as bad as those who concentrate on the little things to complain about such as catchable balls. Question: has anybody who's played receiver felt a shaking sensation in their hands when they're in the process of making a catch? Nervous anxiety

:helmet:

im not. merriman is a 3-4 linebacker, and even though hes a beast, he wouldnt be putting up those kind of numbers in our defense. just because a guy puts up sick numbers somewhere else doesnt mean he'd be as effective here.

Some of you need to go back and watch some game film from last year. I suggest popping in the carolina game and saints game. He had excelent games in both.

Rogers is a good corner, and an opinion on him cant be made off of 2 or 3 dropped interceptions. Not to mention it was only his 2nd year as a pro, and played behind one of the worst defenses in the league (including the worst d-line in the league), and maybe he should get just a little bit of slack.

I wonder, is anyone re-thinking the draft of 2005 when we landed C-los. Alot of individuals (including I) were clamoring for Arrington's former self (Merriman) and not thinking of the magnitude of our cornerback position.

That year when we played Seattle in the playoffs, Hasselbeck had thrown an interceptible ball into the hands of C-los. What made it so compelling why how he anticipated the timing of the route (sure brought memories of Champ).

I believe that Carlos has the potential to explode if collaborated with special talent around him. He is not merely as bad as those who concentrate on the little things to complain about such as catchable balls. Question: has anybody who's played receiver felt a shaking sensation in their hands when they're in the process of making a catch? Nervous anxiety

:helmet:

Yeah, I think most of us would have loved to draft Merriman instead. If we knew then what we know now, Merriman would have been one of the first guys taken in that draft. The problem is that Gibbs' obsession with stacking the QB position while ignoring defensive depth virtually forced us to take a corner with that pick. It sucks when flawed team management and planning forces you to take the best available guy at a specific position rather than taking the guy who is going to absolutely light it up.

That said, I think Rogers really has all the tools. Its easier for a linebacker to come into the league and make an immediate impact than it is for a corner. Cornerback seems to be a bit like wide reciever or quarterback in that respect. You can't really judge the guy until he's played a couple of seasons and had a competant supporting cast. Lets see if he can step up to that level this year. I think he can.

Some of you need to go back and watch some game film from last year. I suggest popping in the carolina game and saints game. He had excelent games in both.

Rogers is a good corner, and an opinion on him cant be made off of 2 or 3 dropped interceptions. Not to mention it was only his 2nd year as a pro, and played behind one of the worst defenses in the league (including the worst d-line in the league), and maybe he should get just a little bit of slack.

exactly. our dline was the worst in football by a landslide, its still shocking that people try and dispute this.

You have confused the meanings for the words "truth" and "opinion". Rogers, in my humble opinion, was neither horrendous or great last year. He suffered some growing pains like many 2nd year corners do (Smoot, Bailey, Newman) and was not helped by the fact that we had zero pass rush plus injuries and ineffectual play by other members or the secondary, leaving him out on an island way too much.

I do however agree that accusing you of being a Cowboy fan just because you think he played poorly is silly.

good response! the key is whether or not one accepts that the potential is still there. if so, then Rogers is still worthy of wearing the B&G. fretting over past inadequacies - especially last season's manure pile where there was blame to go all around (it was a total system failure) - or time to market is water under the bridge. we have an investment in this guy. he has demonstrated ability. this should be his make/break season.

cmon CR! step up.

btw...the orig question was a great one cuz Rogers did make a big point of this toward the end of last season.

I've learned that anyone thinking Rogers was "pathetic" or "horrendous" last season will never, ever, be convinced they are wrong, so I no longer bother arguing that their statements are ludicrious, or showing them why they are. 99% of their posts are sound bite quality at best anyway, never anything even remotely close to intelligent analysis or discussion.

Btw, how exactly could Daryl Green and Deion Sanders teach Rogers how to "catch the ball"? I could see them helping him with his cover skills, reading the QB, etc, etc...intangibles that they may point out he needs to keep developing. But how are they going to make his hands better? As they say, if a CB could catch, he'd be a WR lol.

rogers is a good corner. he suffered from playing too far off of receivers because we did not get any pressure. did he get torched a few times? sure, every CB in the league will get pwned a few times during the season, rogers just had a knack for making his torchings look really really bad. but he had a ton of PDs, plenty of INT chances, if he held on to 4 of those pics that he dropped, half of this board would be claiming he was a pro bowler. get him a pass rush and some super glue, rogers is a beast. no one seems to remember he might be one of the best CBs in the league in run stopping, i dont know any corners (other than clements) who hit like a mack truck. rogers can lay wood with the best of them.

do you know him personally...

Our DLine was better than our LBs and DBs last year... It also improved as the season went on led by Andre Carter and Kedrick Golston.

I hope Carlos Rogers becomes a viable 1st or 2nd CB this year, but last year he was awful. It was because Carlos Rogers could not cover #1 receivers and Kenny Wright couldn't cover #2 receivers man-to-man last season that we couldn't blitz and had to rely mostly on a cover-2 defensive scheme. This is why our Defensive Line looked bad last year... This is why Sean Taylor looked bad last year (not to mention he had a different safety playing next to him every week). Our Linebackers looked bad because Marcus Washington wasn't 100% and Holdman was on the other side of the field from him.

Everyone is rooting for Carlos, but he needs to live up to a top 10 draftee... He needs to be able to competently cover #1 receivers in this league, or he will be a bust. If we could trust Carlos and Macklin to cover #1 and #2 receivers in this league, we could get rid of Springs. However, if Smoot got injured we'd be in the same situation as we were last year.

Our DLine was better than our LBs and DBs last year... It also improved as the season went on led by Andre Carter and Kedrick Golston.

I hope Carlos Rogers becomes a viable 1st or 2nd CB this year, but last year he was awful. It was because Carlos Rogers could not cover #1 receivers and Kenny Wright couldn't cover #2 receivers man-to-man last season that we couldn't blitz and had to rely mostly on a cover-2 defensive scheme. This is why our Defensive Line looked bad last year... This is why Sean Taylor looked bad last year (not to mention he had a different safety playing next to him every week). Our Linebackers looked bad because Marcus Washington wasn't 100% and Holdman was on the other side of the field from him.

our dline looked bad because our dline IS bad. we have a 34 year old who cant rush, an undersized DE who cant stuff the run and was double teamed because teams knew he was the only one capable of rushing, we have aging DTs with injury problems, and an undersized rookie who was blown off the ball a lot of the time on running downs. how on earth do you get that our dline looked bad because of our CBs??? the secondary has nothing to do with stuffing the run, and our run defense was embarasing. im not saying our LBs were good either, but it starts up front, and our dline was blown away constantly.

our dline looked bad because our dline IS bad. we have a 34 year old who cant rush, an undersized DE who cant stuff the run and was double teamed because teams knew he was the only one capable of rushing, we have aging DTs with injury problems, and an undersized rookie who was blown off the ball a lot of the time on running downs. how on earth do you get that our dline looked bad because of our CBs??? the secondary has nothing to do with stuffing the run, and our run defense was embarasing. im not saying our LBs were good either, but it starts up front, and our dline was blown away constantly.

I'm going to get a bit snippy here and I apologize up front (I should just edit this, but I don't have the time):

You and I have argued this 100 times and we won't agree... Why do you make yourself a target for my scrutiny like this? I explained very clearly HOW our CBs can make our DLine look bad. You are one who believes that the only way to sack a QB is by having rookie defensive linemen at all 11 defensive positions on the field (ok, i exaggerate). You fail to realize that playing defense is a "team game" and that our Defensive Line did not have a significant drop-off in sacks last season. The significant drop-off came from our Linebackers and secondary. You also fail to realize that the guy getting blown off the ball was Lemar Marshall and Warrick Holdman. You blame our rookie DTs for getting blown off the ball, yet you thought we'd best improve our defensive line by adding another rookie DLineman.

I exaggerated above, because I'm frustrated by the same arguments on this topic. I believe you understand the difference that a blitz can make and that we didn't have the luxury of blitzing our LBs and DBs last year because our LBs had to help with covering our RBs and TEs because our Safeties had to help cover our TEs and WRs.... BECAUSE OUR CBs WEREN'T ABLE TO COVER THEIR ASSIGNMENTS ON THEIR OWN. This was not just Carlos Rogers' fault... We should also blame Shawn Springs (for getting injured), Kenny Wright (for being only a nickle-dime guy), Ade Jimoh (for being only a solid special teamer), and the Front Office/Coaching Staff who knew we had a problem with depth in the secondary for two years and didn't address it in the offseason (we replaced Walt Harris with Kenny Wright). Our DL was rushing 4 men against 6 most of the time (if not all), and we still didn't have as significant a dropoff in sacks at this position than we did at others.

I've learned that anyone thinking Rogers was "pathetic" or "horrendous" last season will never, ever, be convinced they are wrong, so I no longer bother arguing that their statements are ludicrious, or showing them why they are. 99% of their posts are sound bite quality at best anyway, never anything even remotely close to intelligent analysis or discussion.

Califan007... Where is your intelligent analysis? The only thing anyone ever mentions to support Rogers' performance last year is 16 PDs (17 if you include INTs), which is a horrible way to judge a cornerback. Sure, it proves he got his hands on the ball once a game, but how many opportunities did he have to make plays and how often did he convert those opportunities?

I'd be interested in hearing your analysis. We are all Carlos Rogers fans and it would probably be fairly easy to convince us if you provide the details you rely on to come to your own conclusion.

wrong again. rogers was more effective in the saints game AND the panthers game. springs gave up the only TD pass in that game, and even though it was a great move by smith, he still gave up the TD. and rogers covered smith a good portion of that game as much as people like to think otherwise. there was a picture of rogers playing on smith on redskins.com, i wish id saved it.

I think you're talking about this one:

redskins_31590512PG.jpg

Califan007... Where is your intelligent analysis?

I've done it too many times and really don't feel like doing it anymore, to be honest. Like I said, doing so doesn't change anyone's mind if they already think Rogers was "pathetic" last season, and they never argue the points you DO make...so why bother.

The only thing anyone ever mentions to support Rogers' performance last year is 16 PDs (17 if you include INTs), which is a horrible way to judge a cornerback. Sure, it proves he got his hands on the ball once a game, but how many opportunities did he have to make plays and how often did he convert those opportunities?

Defending/knocking down a pass IS making plays.

I'd be interested in hearing your analysis. We are all Carlos Rogers fans and it would probably be fairly easy to convince us if you provide the details you rely on to come to your own conclusion.

I may drag it out again if the mood hits me lol...I'm kind of known for being analytical with stats and going through the play-by-play of each game to make my points. Just takes awhile to do so.

Really, the only thing that was glaringly wrong about Rogers was the fact that he couldn't hold onto the ball. Considering he's a CB and not a WR, that isn't a killer.

Everything else is harder to focus on, because it is harder for us laymen to actually nail down where failures happen because we don't know what the defense was trying to do. For example, a lot of people put the blame on Rogers for playing off the ball, but that's part of the scheme of the defense and until you can understand that, it is hard to say that that was part of the problem, especially if the failure was elsewhere.

Jason

he was supposed to work with these two this offseason, i havent heard anything about it. if he did i hope they taught him how to catch better. damn i would write more but my wife is yelling at me to go.does anyone know if c rog ever really got some help from these two? I like rogers i just wish he could catch picks.
I haven't heard or seen anything but I'm sure this was addressed during the OTA"s. :)

Really, the only thing that was glaringly wrong about Rogers was the fact that he couldn't hold onto the ball. Considering he's a CB and not a WR, that isn't a killer.

Jason

you guys who keep saying this must have long term memory problems. Rogers was bad last year in nearly all facets of being a corner. He was consistently giving up 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 4. He was getting beat deep consistently, and he could not catch.

It was only his second year, so I'm not giving up on the kid (especially since he had a very solid rookie campaign), but it is simply FALSE to argue that Rogers was anything better than below mediocre last year.

I'm going to get a bit snippy here and I apologize up front (I should just edit this, but I don't have the time):

You and I have argued this 100 times and we won't agree... Why do you make yourself a target for my scrutiny like this? I explained very clearly HOW our CBs can make our DLine look bad. You are one who believes that the only way to sack a QB is by having rookie defensive linemen at all 11 defensive positions on the field (ok, i exaggerate). You fail to realize that playing defense is a "team game" and that our Defensive Line did not have a significant drop-off in sacks last season. The significant drop-off came from our Linebackers and secondary. You also fail to realize that the guy getting blown off the ball was Lemar Marshall and Warrick Holdman. You blame our rookie DTs for getting blown off the ball, yet you thought we'd best improve our defensive line by adding another rookie DLineman.

I exaggerated above, because I'm frustrated by the same arguments on this topic. I believe you understand the difference that a blitz can make and that we didn't have the luxury of blitzing our LBs and DBs last year because our LBs had to help with covering our RBs and TEs because our Safeties had to help cover our TEs and WRs.... BECAUSE OUR CBs WEREN'T ABLE TO COVER THEIR ASSIGNMENTS ON THEIR OWN. This was not just Carlos Rogers' fault... We should also blame Shawn Springs (for getting injured), Kenny Wright (for being only a nickle-dime guy), Ade Jimoh (for being only a solid special teamer), and the Front Office/Coaching Staff who knew we had a problem with depth in the secondary for two years and didn't address it in the offseason (we replaced Walt Harris with Kenny Wright). Our DL was rushing 4 men against 6 most of the time (if not all), and we still didn't have as significant a dropoff in sacks at this position than we did at others.

youre allowed to be snippy, so no apology is necessary, but just because our line has been poor in the past at getting to the QB doesnt mean that thats some sort of standard for us. weve never had a good pass rush from our dline, but at least they were able to stop the run. they did neither this season because age is coming into play. do i think we need 22 year olds at every position? no. 26 year olds wouldnt hurt. but the youngest actual starter on our dline was 27. thats no good. golston only played because joe was hurt, and all of our starting DTs/DEs other than carter are 30+.

i dont know what games you watched, but we ran blitzes constantly with our linebackers last season and with safties. fox played up on the line a lot and he was awful because he was too weak to tackle anybody. We do this because our dline physically cannot get any pressure, which sucks. im not as upset with our dline for not rushing the passer, but our dline couldnt stop the run at all either, which hasnt been the case in previous seasons.

we ran a TON of 5 downlinemen sets, with a LB playing on the line in an over/under package, and STILL got no pressure at all and couldnt stop the run either. is this soley on the dline? no. but its the oldest group of the bunch, its the most injury riddled group of the bunch, and they couldnt stop the run or generate any pressure. but if you want to think they were good because they put up the same pitiful sack amounts they did in previous years, then sure, theyre ok.

4 dlinemen vs 5 olineman is normal. someone should require doubleteams but no one on our team did this year. which is why i was clamouring for a big 2 gap guy. i heard golston got bigger and is going to fill this role, we will wait and see.

Archived