Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog Blaylock, DE

Skinsinparadise

Fortunately as a thoughtful young man, I've covered myself in my writing, suggesting indeed, the defensive line could use improvement and I suspect it will possibly be addressed should the right man come along. My critical thinking allows for me to see everything the team has done and realize while the line is less a priority than other areas obviously were, it is still likely we could look to improve the line, and, well, any other area we think we can as well.

Jason's problem is where I actually allow for this as a possibility, understanding it is part of the equation, if a smaller one than previously thought, HE can not fathom how it is not the SOLE priority and his reporting to date has suggested for some time this well-found consensus among football people that the line is a need. Obviously that would be errant, and now, that other areas have been improved -- or efforts to improve have been made -- line is likely nearer the top than Jason has been able to figure out on his own and, hell, eventually he may be right, as we sign everyone else, everywhere else, it would go to figure line would be around the next batch of attention.

One does wonder, however, as Jason desperately tries convincing you he talks to very inside folks who tell him a lot of stuff, how come all these football folks he's talked to have never, ever mentioned the need for defensive line would be the last thing the team took care of? Perhaps he's talking to the wrong people?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 6:13 PM ET, 05/ 4/2007

Derrick Blaylock Worth Watching

the need for another depth RB could be intersting. Also, couldn't help but notice Rock Cartwright looking out at rookie camp today from afar with partiicular interest, peering down at the practice fields. Blaylock has been healthy since January and Al Saunders is in his corner. We shall see.

Also, kicker is heating up, They want a few guys to push Suisham in camp and we'll see who, if anyone, emerges from this rookie camp.

Random Tidbits: Skins are $5.1 million under the salary cap ... Will try to post

something on the DE's tonight as promised. Wil do it Sat. at the latest. Contrary to what some shills would have you believe, there is stil a definite and well-accpeted need along the D Line among the staff. Obviously, Coach Joe and the gang don't come right out in front of cameras and say what's still flawed with their team, and of course they would not publicly speak ill of their work this offseason, but that's where reporting and critical thought come in. Seems easy enough to grasp, but, alas, for some who love nothing more than to puff on the team's corproate cigar, well ...

Dude needs spell check in a bad way.

intersting

partiicular

Wil

stil

accpeted

corproate

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 6:13 PM ET, 05/ 4/2007

Derrick Blaylock Worth Watching

Got off the phone with Blaylock's agent and he feels like there is a real chance here. Barring something crazy happening this weekend, Blaylock's agent, Michael Huyghue thinks he'll start talking contract with the Skins next week. "We're very optimistic about getting something done after this weekend," he said.

Injuries took Blaylock out of the Jets' plans last season, but even with the Ports/Betts axis in tact, the need for another depth RB could be intersting. Also, couldn't help but notice Rock Cartwright looking out at rookie camp today from afar with partiicular interest, peering down at the practice fields. Blaylock has been healthy since January and Al Saunders is in his corner. We shall see.

Also, kicker is heating up, They want a few guys to push Suisham in camp and we'll see who, if anyone, emerges from this rookie camp.

Random Tidbits: Skins are $5.1 million under the salary cap ... Will try to post

something on the DE's tonight as promised. Wil do it Sat. at the latest. Contrary to what some shills would have you believe, there is stil a definite and well-accpeted need along the D Line among the staff. Obviously, Coach Joe and the gang don't come right out in front of cameras and say what's still flawed with their team, and of course they would not publicly speak ill of their work this offseason, but that's where reporting and critical thought come in. Seems easy enough to grasp, but, alas, for some who love nothing more than to puff on the team's corproate cigar, well ...

Just look at all the Dlineman that are now signed for minicamp workouts. I think A.C. spoke of this on sirius that we had a group of 12-13 Dlineman working out together already. Its pretty simple to see that Gibbs shows his concerns w/ finding quality players to come in at those need positions.

Lets see real quickly what players Gibbs has brought in this 2nd go around for the Skins.

1. Portis(franchise back that has a few nicks from last season, but nothing career threatening.

2. Marcus Washington ( the heart of the linebacking core and maybe the D all together, imho. (cant wait to see him bounce back and Mesh w/ mlb L.B.F).

3. In no particular order London Fletcher(L.B.F.) This guy is always in the middle of a tackle and doesn't miss games, has he ever missed a start?

4. Santana my main man MOSS!!! ( just watch the game tape and you'll understand what he brings to the table and if you don't watch out he could FLAASH! right by ya). I can't wait to see how much better him and Campbell will mesh together this year.

5. Shawn Springs ( When healthy, can be a dominate corner and if you don't belive me, just go look at the tape the 1st year he had w/ us, he held his own against BIG time wideouts, remember that game he had against Randy Moss, the last year Moss played w/ the Vikings and that game he forced a fumble on T.O. back when T.O. played for the Eagles. I think it was him, it could've been somebody else but anyhow T.O. didn't get close to 100yds and I DONT THINK T.O. SCORED!!!

This is just to name a few VIA FA or trade.

Now lets look at his draft choice, just to name a few, and once again in NO particular order. Some guys are so anal about that stuff, I don't have time to recall order, just know my favorite players.

1. S.T. this guy is going to be dominate once again w/ Landry playing 1/2 the field and S.T. patrolling the other, I expect Taylor to SHUTDOWN SOME BIG TIME TE'S AND WRS!

2. Chris Cool hands Cooley(saw someone w/ this name in here and its VERY appropriate). He can make some tuff cathes and pick up some Y.A.C. Just go watch what hes done against Dallas, specifically 1/2 a game against Dallas a few seasons ago in Fedex.

3. Golston(came in as a reserve and earned a starting spot, did very well as rookie, and yeah he may of came in do to some injuries, but he made the most of his time, expect to see him more often this season).

4. Carlos Rogers( could've lead the team in picks last season, just couldn't hold on to the ez ones, but its a pleasant sight to see your corner in position to pick off some many, so called ez ones, lol).

5. Jason Campbell ( one dude made a very factual well thought out thread on this board about HIM making our run game work, and helping our Oline by making the PA work very well, especially towards the last part of the season. HECK, Campbell didn't start playing as a starter for until what game last season. So lets see how we judge him after he's had at least 16 starts for us. So far so good and already seems so calm in tuff situation, just wait to see after he has a 2nd year to digest Saunders playbook).

6. L.L. ( If Gibbs drafts a safety in the 1st he usually is a very imposing player on the field and makes teams think twice about throwing his direction). I expect Landry to be a PERFECT compliment to S.T. I hope these guys can play together for many years to come. HECK even Kiper said these guys could be the best safety tandem in the league and Kiper hates saying good stuff about the Skins for some reason).

Sorry this was a little lengthy response but I have a good feeling us being quiet this offseason and us not trading away any more picks will turn out to be a blessing in disguise and right now a lot of others around here and throughout the country don't belive, but I do. Heres to another winning season under Gibbs :cheers:

P.S. Just gotta throw in a few more names. Randy Thomas via FA, B Lloyd has something to prove and I belive he can w/ a full offseason w/ Campbell, ARE who is a deadly threat at many positions, even QB, lol.

I know I missed some guys but thats just to name a few that Gibbs has brought in and they have all played very well when healthy.

Oh yeah, Gibbs still has one of the best winning percentages as a HC, if not the best w/ over 100 games coached and 3 out of 4 superbowls he has won, how many coaches have done that. Not many.

I know most of us already know Gibbs is a great coach, but some of us forget what he has accomplished for this organization and its sad b/c when he's gone you guys will look back, like some of you always do, and say DAM he was the best Redskins coach EVER! And one of the best Coaches ever as well.

GOOD NIGHT

better than getting it inserted Monica style
:rotflmao:Game. Set. Match.:dallasuck

...except I get the idea that JLC was using the "cigar" as a euphemism for the team's 'er....we'll, I think you know. Not an attractive proposition regardless.

Wow...

The "beat reporter" for the (Com)Post is now officially using his section as a soapbox to compete with someone from a WWW message board... :laugh:

Don't forget that Art's blog was up on the "official" Redskins website not only just some "fanboard"

In my view, this makes LaCan and Art brethren of the blog.

I've gotta agree with anyone who says that the line needs help. I'd even agree with those who would say that the line needs a lot of help.

There have been many threads on this board that would try to claim that the line is not a need or that the coaching staff doesn't think it's a unit that needs attention. And I can't agree with that line of thinking.

19 sacks people. 19. Don't trick yourself into believing that an enhanced secondary and lb corp will dramatically change that number... or downplay the importance of a pass rush from the front 4. It's foolish.

I wonder if we will be a player for Alex Brown, as we heard earlier that the Bears may be shopping him. Sure be interesting.

Highly unlike IMO because we would most likely sign him to a deal (which of course would be huge) and we would have to give up a relatively high draft pick (of course, I'm not putting this one beyong our FO . . . BUT we do seem to be committed to next years picks).

I think the coaches are going to be pinning all of their hopes on the young guys we have in camp and on the team right now. How they go, the coaches will follow. IF Golston and Montgomery can be solid DTs, and Hickman and the other young ends can make the squad and help out Carter, Phillip, Demetric, and Renaldo, then nobody will remember that d-line was even a need at this point.

BUT, if in fact we cannot stop the run, or generate a pass rush with our front 4, then the coaches will sure get a lot of heat.

Too much hating on Jason....

He may not agree with everything this organization does but as far as i know he's extremely responsive to emails and suggestions and tries to post as much information as he can get his hands on so I have no problem....

On to the defense....Let's go get and end and put the finishing touches on this revamped defense....I'm hoping Alex Brown. I would think his pricetage might be a 3rd rounder...Maybe Lemar and a 4th??

Considering we have H.B. backing up the middle what would you guys think if we packaged Lemar with a mid pick to save ourselves from having to give a 1st or 2nd rounder?

I can't believe how many ignorant statements are being made by the likes of JLC and Extremeskin members about those who understand what our coaching staff is doing with the Dline situation.

Art NEVER said that the coaching staff sees the Dline as perfect in every way, or that we shouldn't be looking into it at all. Nor has anyone who has wrote about the very simple, and heavily evidenced, reasoning behind why we didn't draft Dline.

Goodness. Stop making everything so damn black and white to make it easier to comment in a tone that makes it absolutely clear that you just love yourself a little too much.

He is a reporter, not a writer of an opinion column where he takes shots at a message board.

I wanted badly to respond but Diesel brought it up well before me...

So there's no difference in a print article and a blog?

Has he ever taken swipes at this board or members here in print?

And I'm seriously asking the last question because I couldn't tell you..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but I haven't seen anything from JLC outside of his blog that can even conceivably be construed as an allusion to Art or ES in general. I'm shocked by how many of you don't seem to recognize that a blog isn't a blog if it isn't largely based on opinion.

I must say Jason comes across as petty here. It seems like he just can't stand the thought that other people who did not go to journalism school (I'm assuming you didn't Art, sorry if I am incorrect) get to write about the redskins for a mass audience. What a baby. :silly:

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Don't forget that Art's blog was up on the "official" Redskins website not only just some "fanboard"

In my view, this makes LaCan and Art brethren of the blog.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!!!!

I'm not backing anyone in this dispute, both sides are stupid and the fact that we now have ESers taking Art's battle personally is just ludicrous. Everyone should be stating their opinion on what Art and JLC say about football... not what they say about each other.

Art NEVER said that the coaching staff sees the Dline as perfect in every way, or that we shouldn't be looking into it at all. Nor has anyone who has wrote about the very simple, and heavily evidenced, reasoning behind why we didn't draft Dline.

This is true, but Art did still parade the fact that he thought the dline was a lower priority need than most other people originally thought, greatly downplayed the fact that it even is a need, and definitely was riding high on our coaches draft/acquisition strategy. As such, I don't think its out of bounds for JLC to qualify him as being somewhat of a homer.

It's clear to me that Art does have a pretty real grasp of the situation but he only seems to project his optimism and genuinely enjoys having the innate, natural ability to irritate those who are more skeptical. At the same time, JLC also seems to have a good grasp of the situation but projects skepticism more than anything else and hates Art's ability to be so ridiculously optimistic.

It really all just boils down to a common hobby... they both just like to ***** and whine about which shade of goggles is better.

While waiting for the bottle to warm up, EA, let me suggest you've PERHAPS put your finger on a problem without even realizing it.

I am a fan. While I personally think we're going to have a tough season for reasons entirely different than the defensive line or any other personnel area, as a general rule, my role in life is to have an opinion and be likely to be said by others to LIKE the NFL team I follow. In this case the Washington Redskins.

Jason La Canfora is a beat reporter for a major newspaper. His role in life is distinctly different than mine. That you sense the perscription of skeptical on his lenses is, at the root of it, a problem. His duty, responsibility, training and life's work should be neutrality in everything he does and presents to the public. He's supposed to report the news. He's not supposed to have a view and carry it forward. Blogging is a difficult thing for beat reporters to pull off for this reason as it removes them from their assigned role into another.

If I were the beat reporter and the team I covered went against my own personal views and some conventional wisdom all offseason, I would probably take it upon myself to figure out why and how and report on the background and thinking behind it by getting people to tell me how the different players and units graded out, why and the like. That may not be the story, but it is A story.

This is getting good, but come on JLC, stay above the fray, you work for the Washington Post dude

As for d-line, this is good news. While I think the team would be ok going into the season with this d-line (not great) and would have preffered to have traded down and drafted a d-lineman, a trade will not be a bad thing and hopefully the team drafts nothing but lineman on both the o and d side next year. We'll see what transpires

And Art is a big boy, he can handle himself. Don't go flaming the JLC blog in the comments section

I am a fan.

Jason La Canfora is a beat reporter for a major newspaper.

It is that simple.

If I were the beat reporter and the team I covered went against my own personal views and some conventional wisdom all offseason, I would probably take it upon myself to figure out why and how and report on the background and thinking behind it by getting people to tell me how the different players and units graded out, why and the like. That may not be the story, but it is A story.

Art, this would be nice wouldn't it. If someone in the press in this area realized that there is a market for actual information about the team, rather than just a constant antagonistic presentation of the team, the area's print media might actually be worth reading again.

I'm a fan also and I live in this area. I'm surrounded by sources of opinions about the team. I have no interest at all in LaCanfora's opinions. What I used to look for in the Post was information. I no longer look there.

This is getting good, but come on JLC, stay above the fray, you work for the Washington Post dude

And Art is a big boy, he can handle himself. Don't go flaming the JLC blog in the comments section

:laugh:

I don't think any of us really believed there was NO concern from the staff in regards to the defensive line.

I have to agree.

But...something tells me there's more than one person here who honestly believes that JG, GW and the rest don't have a clue about our DL and are completely blind to any possible issues having to do with it.

Further how prudent is this thinking, well there was no D-lineman worth the sixth pick but Landry was. The real constraint is salary paid. With the sixth pick Landry is likely to get a $40 million dollar contract with 15 million garuanteed. For a safety what kind of player can you get in free agency with such a contract? Probably an established pro bowler and one of the very best in the biz. Now what kind of DE or DT can you get with that contract on the free agent market. Probably someone who is a decent starter only who is healthy. So I think when looking at the whether some player is worth the X-pic you should consider what is the relative price of filling that players postion from some other alternative source.

IMHO, looking at the "costs" from this persepective even if Anderson turns out to have a career like Philip Daniels then Landry better end up being one of the top ten safeties in the league.

So you are implying safeties are are more important to teams than defensive ends and command higher salaries? :doh:

So you are implying safeties are are more important to teams than defensive ends and command higher salaries? :doh:

I believe, from a salary standpoint, he was saying exactly the opposite. That Landry, due to his draft position, will receive a higher salary than his place on the team, and will have to be absolutely everything the most positive prognosticators have predicted for him. Whereas a defensive end at that draft/salary slot, would not have to be as dominant to justify the salary he would have received at that draft position.

I believe, from a salary standpoint, he was saying exactly the opposite. That Landry, due to his draft position, will receive a higher salary than his place on the team, and will have to be absolutely everything the most positive prognosticators have predicted for him. Whereas a defensive end at that draft/salary slot, would not have to be as dominant to justify the salary he would have received at that draft position.

I guess I don't understand. 6 is 6. Slotted Salary is Slotted Salary. Expectations from a 6 are high no matter what.

So the argument is since he is a safety and gets 15 mill guaranteed he has to be a stud.

If he was a d lineman getting paid the same he doesn't have to be dominant?

Wow I guess I am still old school. If I pay someone fifteen million guaranteed I expected dominant.

My point of my earlier post was LL was taken at 6. Anderson at 8. 2 slots. Apparently someone thought Anderson was worth a high pick. Would us be taking him 2 slots earlier be that much of a reach? I don't think so. But only time will tell.

Archived