Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog Blaylock, DE

Skinsinparadise

While waiting for the bottle to warm up, EA, let me suggest you've PERHAPS put your finger on a problem without even realizing it.

Here we go... :doh:

I am a fan. While I personally think we're going to have a tough season for reasons entirely different than the defensive line or any other personnel area, as a general rule, my role in life is to have an opinion and be likely to be said by others to LIKE the NFL team I follow. In this case the Washington Redskins.

Join the club.

Jason La Canfora is a beat reporter for a major newspaper. His role in life is distinctly different than mine.

Is it really? If he's blogging in what is essentially his downtime as an actual reporter, he's not at all entitled to have any sort of emotion, feelings, or opinions on the matter?

That you sense the perscription of skeptical on his lenses is, at the root of it, a problem. His duty, responsibility, training and life's work should be neutrality in everything he does and presents to the public. He's supposed to report the news. He's not supposed to have a view and carry it forward. Blogging is a difficult thing for beat reporters to pull off for this reason as it removes them from their assigned role into another.

Someone still has to point out to me a non-blog piece written by JLC that comes off as extremely biased. I've certainly never noticed any overwhelming skepticism in his Post articles. And, frankly, you can have strong opinions and still generally be neutral when it comes down to just reporting the facts.

I can rail on people for their opinions on some topics all day and all night... but I can just as easily avoid that and maintain a neutral ground by bringing up strictly the facts of the matter and/or by addressing both sides of the issue without declaring a personal commitment one way or the other.

If you don't think that reporters should have blogs because it ruins their objectivity, thats fine... just don't pretend that they never had or shouldn't have opinions to begin with. Besides, its arguably better to be able to reference a blog if you're so concerned about bias.

If I were the beat reporter and the team I covered went against my own personal views and some conventional wisdom all offseason, I would probably take it upon myself to figure out why and how and report on the background and thinking behind it by getting people to tell me how the different players and units graded out, why and the like. That may not be the story, but it is A story.

Good for you? I'm sure JLC has done much of the same with the resources he has available... perhaps not to the degree you suggest, but whatever.

Art seems to have accomplished his life's mission......getting a rise out of the media personalities that follow the Skins.

What's funny is that Art can get his opinion pieces put on Redskins.com,with the usual shots at whoever the "whipping boy" is,in this case JLC. Then he acts suprised when he gets a reaction out of said "whipping boy"??

Funny stuff....

I don't think anyone who considers themselves a Redskins fan should be wasting their time defending a piece of garbage like JLC.

This douchebag is the worst kind of media weasel - smug, arrogant, and contemptuous of both his audience and the objects of his "reporting".

Over and over and over again we (as fans) have been forced to endure his snide comments and snarky attitude when writing about the organization, coaches, and front office in particular.

As Art has pointed out, his sole job is to collect and relay information. Idle speculation and presumptuous second-guessing are not part of the job description.

The fact that his little vanity-blog has descended into petty namecalling is further evidence that this loathsome, bitter little man would be much better served moving on to another position and letting someone who actually appeciates the fantastic opportunity to cover the Washington Redskins have a go at it.

Journalism school? Give me a break. No amount of style or flair can compensate for being a miserable SOB. It's going to bleed through in every putrid slab of tripe you churn out.

The fans deserve better.

I don't think anyone has said that we don't need help on the line. Many have said there wasn't a lineman in the draft worth a 6th pick. Some have said we needed help more in the secondary as well. Both are very defensible points.

For those who said that there wasn't a defensive lineman worthy of the number six pick, I categorially disagree with them.

If Gaines Adams had been there for the Skins to pick do you think they would have selected him? I don't think they would have because they were sold on Landry from the get go. I just don't think a Safety was needed at that pick.

Whoever was instrumental in picking a Safety has got to be dreaming of Griff and the rest of the D-Line making a comeback this season. Having major surgeries on pivotal joints of one's body is a big deal. Getting just one of those "not that talented" players in this draft would have protected this team from what the odds are of reinjury to this aging D-Line.

If we do get a FA after the June 1st cuts, I just hope its a minimum plus insintives deal and not a pay through the nose situation.

I don't think anyone who considers themselves a Redskins fan should be wasting their time defending a piece of garbage like JLC.

This douchebag is the worst kind of media weasel - smug, arrogant, and contemptuous of both his audience and the objects of his "reporting".

Over and over and over again we (as fans) have been forced to endure his snide comments and snarky attitude when writing about the organization, coaches, and front office in particular.

As Art has pointed out, his sole job is to collect and relay information. Idle speculation and presumptuous second-guessing are not part of the job description.

The fact that his little vanity-blog has descended into petty namecalling is further evidence that this loathsome, bitter little man would be much better served moving on to another position and letting someone who actually appeciates the fantastic opportunity to cover the Washington Redskins have a go at it.

Journalism school? Give me a break. No amount of style or flair can compensate for being a miserable SOB. It's going to bleed through in every putrid slab of tripe you churn out.

The fans deserve better.

I couldn't agree with you more. But I further content that "his job is to collect and relay misinformation in order to be complainent with his comrades."

For those who said that there wasn't a defensive lineman worthy of the number six pick, I categorially disagree with them.

If Gaines Adams had been there for the Skins to pick do you think they would have selected him? I don't think they would have because they were sold on Landry from the get go. I just don't think a Safety was needed at that pick.

If we do get a FA after the June 1st cuts, I just hope its a minimum plus insintives deal and not a pay through the nose situation.

They have stated that they wanted to pick the best player available. They didn't express that in the draft they wanted a safety and Landry fit the bill but they wanted to get a big difference maker on defense. If Gaines Adams was regarded as a better player than Landry am sure they would have drafted him but Landry was rated higher on their boards and for that matter by most of the draft geeks.

I've gotta agree with anyone who says that the line needs help. I'd even agree with those who would say that the line needs a lot of help.

There have been many threads on this board that would try to claim that the line is not a need or that the coaching staff doesn't think it's a unit that needs attention. And I can't agree with that line of thinking.

19 sacks people. 19. Don't trick yourself into believing that an enhanced secondary and lb corp will dramatically change that number... or downplay the importance of a pass rush from the front 4. It's foolish.

Exactly my point, thats why we have how many Dlineman in minicamp? 12 or 13. I don't think any of us know more about the Skins than Gibbs does, even though some may think they do :D

Smug, arrogant, snide comments and snarky attitude? Wow, you've just describe 50% of the posters on extremeskins :D

Hmm, I believe it's the Washington Post that tells him what his job is.

I wonder what it says about you when you criticize the guy for name calling and in the same breath call him a douchebag & SOB.

The fans deserve better.

Citizens deserve the leaders they elect, fans deserve the media they watch/listen/read. Don't like the guy? Boycott him.

I like JLC and think he's 100% better than the nunsio days, and he comes across genuinely carrying about the skins. As for arrogance and hating the idea that other people have opinions, how many times has he had guest bloggers, and how many time has he responded to comments on his blog.

Please, stop the name calling and bullying that makes extremskins look bad.

Art seems to have accomplished his life's mission......getting a rise out of the media personalities that follow the Skins.

What's funny is that Art can get his opinion pieces put on Redskins.com,with the usual shots at whoever the "whipping boy" is,in this case JLC. Then he acts suprised when he gets a reaction out of said "whipping boy"??

Funny stuff....

Can you show me where I acted at all surprised?

EA,

Unfortunately, a professional journalist doesn't get to put up a personal page where he reveals his inner thoughts and tries to keep them apart from his reporting. Jason's blog does this at the WP. On a fundamental level, all the SpoJs angry that fans were allowed into their domain would be equally as angry at a beat reporter conducting regular sessions where his neutrality is called into account. Jason can't effectively cover the beat when in his blog he's calling people he's supposed to cover pet nicknames. There's a reason he has limited resources at the Park.

A beat reporter isn't allowed the luxury Jason has given himself. But, remember, we are in a different era of journalism where the Washington Post makes stars, and that, more than reporting the beat, is the goal of many. It's unfortunate because Jason is a better beat reporter than Nunyo. He should do that as good as he can and repair the broken relationships HE has brought about on himself.

That may be difficult. His behavior on the Ramsey issue stained him terribly with many in the organization. His temper tantrums about various accessibility issues has made people wonder at his professionalism and those people number beyond the confines of Redskins Park and tip into his own profession.

A Post blog from a person covering the Skins is a good idea. The person doing it should be the columnist assigned to offer opinion pieces on the team, who knows the team and can develop sources inside it while providing an opinion. Jason's got a higher, professional level to attend as a beat reporter. Once a beat reporter's personal views are known, he ceases being an effective beat reporter. It's really that simple.

Landry at 6, Anderson at 8 is there really a big difference in 2 slots????? ;)

anderson looked good on film to me but i think in last years draft we would be probably in the 20-25 pick range and next year he might fall to the second round, there were many who said Alan Branch was the way to go but he fell to the second round, lets face even gaines adam who went forth was weak against the run.....

Landry is a Redskin and will make us a better team

HB Blades will start at LB by year 2 or three and Starz will prob do well maybe eventually start and become a rush 'backer

ANY DRAFT were you get 3 starter or 2 starters and a signifcant backup on defense and one who will be pro bowl level is a GOOD draft!

====================================================

you dont have to totally agree with the coaches or the FO every time but for all of you around here who do nothing but bash the skins at every turn just stop calling yourself fans and go watch the hockey playoffs or something.....

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!! :point2sky

EA,

Unfortunately, a professional journalist doesn't get to put up a personal page where he reveals his inner thoughts and tries to keep them apart from his reporting.

According to who's rules? Yours?

If they let you into the press box, I don't see why a person in the press box can't have a blog. There's some hypocrisy there on your part. You like to take pot shots at people but don't feel that they should be able to respond publicly in the same manner in which you go after them.

Maybe suprised was a poor choice of word by me. How bout.....amused?

Either way, you're getting what you want: a reaction.

Yes, I am amused as I suspect Jason is. It actually helps him a great deal. His blog is not as well followed as this board. There are those here who dislike me intensely. He garners a natural audience and creates reasonably fun interplay. Your point?

According to who's rules? Yours?

If they let you into the press box, I don't see why a person in the press box can't have a blog. There's some hypocrisy there on your part. You like to take pot shots at people but don't feel that they should be able to respond publicly in the same manner in which you go after them.

And who suggested anyone ought not be able to go at me in any manner they wish besides yourself?

As for your first question, traditional, good journalism defines what is allowed a beat reporter and what isn't. Jason's blog, in and of itself, is not really the conversation so much as what he does with it. He'd be well placed to provide information he can not print but might be interesting as given him by the newsmakers who've given it to him in a blog format. He's chosen to use his blog to interject more than information. He's used it to interject himself. He's used it to belittle the beat he covers by calling THEM names -- I have no problem with him addressing me in the slightest.

There's a reason he can't seem to ever get an attributable quote from the beat he covers outside of media pressers. Laying in wait at Ramsey's house goes beyond reporting, and goes to character. There are boundries in all reporting. A school bus driver can never, ever be caught behind the wheel of a car having had something to drink. A corporate executive can not legally trade on non-public information. There are unwritten and written rules, guidelines and ethics in every profession. The Post, for example, has a very detailed explanation of what is, and what is not, allowed in reporting it provides the customer and public. Too frequently the last few years, they have allowed the Redskins beat to move outside those guidelines to the detriment of the paper.

In the end, it doesn't matter much to me. I find it all very fun :).

Landry at 6, Anderson at 8 is there really a big difference in 2 slots????? ;)

At that point in the draft, the difference is 200 points, or a mid-3rd rounder. That is a potential starter (Cooley was drafted in the third), so yes, it is a big difference, and reaching on a DE at number 6 is dumb, where as drafting BPA and going for a much better guarantee of return on investment with Landry, is smart.

Anyone who actually listened to the draft on the radio when they were drinking in the parking lot of FedEX Field, knows there were a bunch of teams getting ripped for drafting only by need and taking players higher than they opught to go. (example: Buffalo and Marshawn Lynch).

Don't want to get in the middle of someone elses deabte, but I noticed some were saying JLC is neutral in his Post reporting. From what I've read, he's taken some jabs. Also, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember JLC coming out with some article when he was fairly new here, saying the Skins should change their name. I don't believe there was any signifigant event going on to prompt such an article, but I definitely remember someone (if not JLC) writing that in the post. JLC's blog provides insider info on the Skins, meaning it takes a reporting tone, not an opinion tone. Just because it's a blog, doesn't mean it's only opinion, and certainly doesn't mean the writer can't be held responsible for his/her comments, especially when the writer is actually a profesional journalist.

EA,

Unfortunately, a professional journalist doesn't get to put up a personal page where he reveals his inner thoughts and tries to keep them apart from his reporting.

Apparently he does get to put up a personal page. If he doesnt then he wouldnt have his blog, but WP decided that he does. I think that is pretty obvious. His blog is very different than any print article
Jason can't effectively cover the beat when in his blog he's calling people he's supposed to cover pet nicknames.
It is your opinion that he cant effectiviley cover the beat. His employeers obviously have a different opinion.

Why is it that certain members on this board can go and cover the skins at home and away games and write reports on them for all of us to read. But at other times offer their opinion or crack jokes in various threads....seems pretty similair to me.

A beat reporter isn't allowed the luxury Jason has given himself.

Says who? I think most people are able to read his blog and his print articles seperatley, not confusing the two.

Once a beat reporter's personal views are known, he ceases being an effective beat reporter. It's really that simple.

I disagree. It only takes a small amount of reading ability to be able to tell the difference between an opinion piece and a piece where facts are reports. There are many journalists covering all aspects of the world that offer their opinion as well as reporting straight facts. Most readers are able to tell the difference. It is pretty easy.

Archived