Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post's Len Shapiro indicates media hatred of Snyder could hurt Monk in HOF

Art

it just appauls me to think that people who hold this power would dangle what someone did over an entire nfl career like it is a gold carrot.

So what now, when us fans shut up and don't say anything about it he'll get voted in?

It is a power trip and one of the most unprofessional things I have ever heard of. The problem is that this is a process, it is not one person. And unfortunately for us, a collective group of participants in the process do not bare the sole responsibility that their power has come to provide for others and exlcuding others at the same time. Therefore they can massage the process/system just enough to get their desired end result ... and that is to show that they have the last word, the most knowledge, whether that be right or wrong.

The entire group of voting members need to be replaced.

I honestly don't think it makes a big difference in the choices of individual voters. Nobody (except Len Pasquarelli) is sitting in the voting room thinking how much they hate Dan Snyder and basing their votes on that. People might hate the Redskins, but (except Len Pasquarelli) they don't hate the Redskins enough to purposefully keep a great player out of the Hall.

There are rational reasons for Monk's exclusion in each of the past seven years (their names are Swann, Stallworth, Lofton, Hayes, and Irvin), so it's really impossible to know how much he has been affected by some kind of bias. Shapiro is in the room every year and if he really thinks that's what is keeping Monk out, one would hope that he would be much more vocal about it.

A year or 2 ago, Don Banks said in so many words that the reason Art Monk would not get into the HOF is because of Dan Snyder. I believe Banks is a voter too. Between Z, Peter K (who leads the anti-Monk charge), and Banks comments that revealed just how bias the voters really are, I decided to boycott CNNSI at that moment in time. The rest of you should follow.

I completely agree with you. I cancelled my subscription to SI after 30 years because of Peter King's and Paul Zimmerman's stance actively campaigning to keep Art Monk out of the Hall of Fame.

Irvin ahead of Monk = Hall of Shame

Also, was Monk eligible for the HOF before or during the Snyder era? Just curious.
He was not eligible until 2001, so it has been entirely in the Snyder era.
A year or 2 ago, Don Banks said in so many words that the reason Art Monk would not get into the HOF is because of Dan Snyder. I believe Banks is a voter too. Between Z, Peter K (who leads the anti-Monk charge), and Banks comments that revealed just how bias the voters really are, I decided to boycott CNNSI at that moment in time. The rest of you should follow.

Banks is not a voter. Dr. Z has been critical of Monk since 1984. Peter King has changed his stance and has said that he voted for Monk this year.

If they are really basing their judgement on dislike of Snyder, or Art's silence with the media, or some other personal affront from fans, they are the biggest hypocrites around.

These are the same bunch who wallow around explaining why they HAVE to vote for lawrence Taylor or Michael Irvin because the rules state that ONLY on-the-field performance should be counted.

Its a bogus enterprise. Until they have to publically defend their votes, i.e., no longer secret ballots, it will be meaningless and of little value.

Can anyone tell me the last Redskins player voted into the HoF and what year it was.

Gotta be Riggins sometime in the late 80s.

That's exhibit A for the bias. The Skins go to 4 Super Bowls in a 10 year span, win 3 of em - and put 1 player in the Hall. Mind you, that one player only played in 2 of those games and was in the twilight of his career. Maybe that's what Monk should have done - act like a jackass and created more stories for the scum-sucking media. The sad irony is - the media will chastise you for acting like a jerk (Riggins) or criminal (Irvin) but they'd much prefer that to being a quiet professional who values his own privacy.

Actually yes, and I posted this in a thread when it happened. It's been about one year now.

Tony Kornheiser admitted to Czaban and Andy Pollin that he (Kornheiser) would not vote for Monk nor champion his cause for the Hall of Fame as the "price he (Monk) has to pay" for not talking to the media. I wrote Kornheiser telling him I was boycotting his show (he was on 980 at the time) and he called me by name the next day and told me good-bye (I was told this by two different friends who heard him since I was not listening).

The point though is that Kornheiser talks to other media types, and I'm sure those who vote. Voters often pick the brains of local media types when voting and I'm positive Kornheiser has several voting friends who hold a grudge against Monk for not talking to them, like Kornheiser does.

It's a dispicable stance for someone who proclaims to be a "journalist."

Thanks for the post Hail. This is especially disturbing considering the rule that the voters are only supposed to consider the athlete's qualifications on the field.

I don't think Shapiro has any real insider knowledge. It was just another opportunity for him to take a shot at Snyder, at Art Monk's expense (I wonder if Len sent an email to all of the members of the committee asking them to read his article & Snyder's comments? Wouldn't surprise me).

That said, Shapiro's larger point is a decent one. Honey over vinegar. I think this goes back to the leadership discussions we've had on Dan Snyder in the past. how so many people have a natural ability to sell people, and exude Charisma... and then there's Dan Snyder. Our beloved, charismatic owner, who charms everyone he meets. :rolleyes:....

Huh? He held a voting seat for the D.C. market for many years and was the lead presenter for Monk in the final selection meeting until last year. I'd call that "inside".

A year or 2 ago, Don Banks said in so many words that the reason Art Monk would not get into the HOF is because of Dan Snyder. I believe Banks is a voter too. Between Z, Peter K (who leads the anti-Monk charge), and Banks comments that revealed just how bias the voters really are, I decided to boycott CNNSI at that moment in time. The rest of you should follow.[/Quote]

Peter King came out in favor of Monks induction this year. I still don't see how "the playmaker" went in over Monk this year. Irvin is a drug addled racist who has inferior stats and character.

Actually yes, and I posted this in a thread when it happened. It's been about one year now.

Tony Kornheiser admitted to Czaban and Andy Pollin that he (Kornheiser) would not vote for Monk nor champion his cause for the Hall of Fame as the "price he (Monk) has to pay" for not talking to the media. I wrote Kornheiser telling him I was boycotting his show (he was on 980 at the time) and he called me by name the next day and told me good-bye (I was told this by two different friends who heard him since I was not listening).

The point though is that Kornheiser talks to other media types, and I'm sure those who vote. Voters often pick the brains of local media types when voting and I'm positive Kornheiser has several voting friends who hold a grudge against Monk for not talking to them, like Kornheiser does.

It's a dispicable stance for someone who proclaims to be a "journalist."

I think this is the reason more than Snyder being the reason. I really think there are a bunch of egotistical journalists who derive great pleasure out of making Monk wait "as the price he has to pay." We always want to blame Peter King, and rightfully so, but Kornheiser is as much to blame, even though he personally does not have a vote, in my opinion.

Monk was held out of the Hall well before Snyder made any statements that they could consider inflamatory. I don't really think Snyder is the reason.

Hail,

H

I'm a bit young to remember monk, but Ive seen the stats, and from everything I've seen from him he was a librarian like guy, never talked to the media and it is the media that does the voting, David Elfin represents Washington, I'm sure he wanted to talk to monk a few times but couldnt. That he doesnt vote the man for the Hall of Fame is truly disgusting. Just because your friendly or crazy you get in? If I was a pro athlete I'd want to just play the game and not worry about being hounded by the media....actually no i'd soak all of it in not gonna lie.

Everybody that watched the Skins during the Monk era know Monk should be in the hall, period. It's just so pathetic that the voters that hold this power want to play these childish games when Monk is so worthy.

I was watching NFL total access and I forget the draft guy for this network that gives all the info for all the teams. You know, the guy that broke the Moss trade news during the draft.

Anyhow, they we're speaking of how Keyshawn Johnson was up and age and wouldn't be able to produce like he was once capable of. The draft guy stated only 2 players at Keyshawns current age were able to produce at those ages (Rice,Monk).

That there goes to show you most people in the football world that was around watching Monk play know he is so deserving. It's the rest of the nut cases that have the final say so that's hating like Art stated.

Unfortunately, Snyder being appointed to this HOF committee, in my opinion, guarantees Art Monk will be snubbed again next year. It's a no win for Art.

Even if he did get the vote, the story then would be that Snyder somehow bought it.

Art won't get in until he's put in by the senior committee.

Sucks.

You guys are really gonna see how F'd up this thing is when Darrell Green doesn't get in next year. He'll get in eventually but the media is going to make him squirm for a few years just to spite Snyder. Guarantee it.

I disagree. While the media does seem to have a moderate (and somewhat deserved) dislike of Snyder, I don't think they'd let it keep Green out of the HOF. First, they'd have no leg to stand on and it would be patently obvious that there were other agendas at work in keeping him out. Secondly, Green was always pretty chummy with them and has a solid reputation as an all-around good, and more importantly for this process, visibly good community citizen.

Monk OTOH, I think has mostly been kept out as an "Eff you" from the media for snubbing them all those years. He's being made an example, if you will.

What I'd like to see happen is that the media gets at least one cojone cut off. That is, I'd like to see the voting process changed such that current HOF players get 50% of the votes, sports writers 30%, current players 10%, and fans 10%. Doing so would be a well deserved middle finger to them while making the HOF voting process fairer and more relevant for all.

After all, no matter how you slice it or what you do to change the process, the HOF voting process has always been, and always will be fraught with politics. My way, at least the grudges and rewards would mostly be held and controlled by guys who've actually played the game and know firsthand what it takes to be the best, rather than some numbnuts with a bad combover.

Tony Kornheiser admitted to Czaban and Andy Pollin that he (Kornheiser) would not vote for Monk nor champion his cause for the Hall of Fame as the "price he (Monk) has to pay" for not talking to the media.

Kornheiser said that?????? What a tool!!!!!! These self-important pseudo journalists are unbelievable.

I think we need to lobby the HOF to eliminate all the reporters (what do they really know anyway?) and let players and coaches choose.

Kornheiser never impressed me as knowing much anyway but I had no idea what an ego-maniac he is.

No, I dont think you are reading too much into it. Shapiro did about the same as Snyder did in his comment, and I think they both are right. Remember, HOF voters arent supposed to vote based on off-field issues(which is why Irvin got in), yet they are now going to do it? Either this wont affect voting at all, or the voters clearly lack any integrity and dignity as many people believe anyway.

Shapiro is right. The statement of Snyder will, if anything, hurt Monk's chances. It's not because the hall of fame committee lacks integrity and objectivity, either. It's human nature. Whether we realize it or not, the vast majority of us are obstinate. Snyder's statement will only serve to strengthen the resolve of those who voted against Monk. They feel attacked and insulted because he decided to make it personal. Of course now their instinct will be to push back.

Peter King's 180 turn is the exception, not the rule. Was there anyone here who wasn't shocked by his change of heart?

Archived