Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm glad the Skins management took my suggestion

Hannibal_DK

In early 2006 I posted in this forum for the team to watch Jordan Palmer's season this past Autumn. I've watched this kid play at the Sun Bowl for three years now and he has some impressive skills. I also mentioned his bad habits like throwing into double coverage deep.

The Skins did the smart thing and drafted him in the sixth round. Now its up to the team to mold him into a first rate Redskin QB. One of the reasons he had so many interceptions as a sophomore and junior was the undersized line at UTEP. Big defensive lineman would blow the offensive line straight back and Palmer was often hurried or sacked. He tried to pass too many times into tight coverages instead of taking a sack. That's a rookie mistake. With the Skins' big line, he will have another second or two to make better decisions. The QB coach has to work with him on this, especially checking off multiple receivers and not fixating on his primary because he used to be harried.

Fortunately for the 2006 season, he made 467 attempts and was only picked off fourteen times. That was a definite improvement over the 2004 and 2005 seasons when his interceptions were double last season's. It appeared he was making better decisions under the tutelage of Mike Price. In fact, in one of the first games last September against Texas Tech, UTEP would have won except that their field goal kicker boinked one off the upright, and the TT kicker made a fifty yard boot with seconds to go and they won by two points. Texas Tech was nationally ranked at the beginning of last season, so Palmer and the Miners made a very strong showing that surprised a lot of people.

He has a very strong arm and is a very bright guy, and will learn NFL defenses in three years instead of the customary five that rooks take to learn. If the QB coach can break his bad habits by habitualizing him to making the right ones, he could be the replacement starter in two or three years if the others become injured. Considering the dismal way QB's are always treated by the Washington coaching staff, he may be needed sooner than later. - Hannibal the West Texas Redskin.:logo:

I liked the Jordan Palmer pick. A lot of people on here were and are still saying "WTF We have Jason Campbell! Our Front Office sucks!" But they act as if JC has already won a super bowl and throws for 4000 yrds and 30 TDs a year.

Bottom Line, JC has shown promise, but he is NOT proven yet. And so, what happens if for some reason he flops. Back to Brunell? Collins? No way. You have to have young back up plan, and thats what we get with Palmer. Good pick.

even if JC does shine like we all expect him to, it would be great to have a good qb in like 2 or 3 years, brunell shouldnt be here that long. and if he even turns out better than wat we expected then we could even trade palmer away and get a matt schaub like deal

I liked the Palmer pick as well. A big dude with a nice arm. Plus, some of the clips of him I saw, dude could run pretty damn well. He's athletic enough as he was a receiver. Bottom line, I don't expect him to ever be our starter or anything, but I'm really hoping he can develop into a pretty good backup behind Campbell!

At least Jason has someone to play with. It must be kind of a bummer having 2 other QBs that are old enough to be your dad...telling him "Back when I came into the league stories...we had leather helmets and no face masks and made $23.00 per game, etc...."

This is a classic Joe Gibbs pick. He seems to always like picking a quarterback project and can't resist pulling the trigger when a quarterback is available that he's enamored with.

In the past, he could more easily tuck the guy away for a year or two. (Remember Stan Humphries - I think it was - sitting for a year on IR with a "blood disorder?) It's tougher now to do so. Still, it will be interesting to watch this guy's progress. If he's half the player his brother Carson is, it's worth the pick.

I think it's smart to pick a quarterback in the 6th or 7th round every year to develop. You never know what you're going to get and there is a (incredibly) slim chance you hit on a Tom Brady. Looking forward to having the full complement of picks next year so we can take a chance on another your prospect. You can always send them to NFL Europe or the practice squad.

A decent article I found on the net....hilarious about the corn dog!!!!

At 6-6, 231 pounds, Jordan Palmer could pass for Carson's blond twin brother even though Jordan is four years younger. Jordan's closely cropped hairstyle resembles Carson's, largely because both cut their own hair.

"I get mistaken for Carson a lot," Jordan says.

So it's understandable that fans confused him for the reigning Heisman Trophy winner on that 2003 day, just moments after then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced Carson as the Bengals' selection.

"Some guy made Carson four $3,000 suits, and I'm the exact same size and look exactly like him, so I got one of his suits to wear to the draft," Jordan says.

"We had the whole family back in the green room. When the commissioner called Carson's name, they (NFL public relations people) handed out Bengals hats. They walked Carson out the back to go do media stuff. And they walked the family right through the middle of the crowd."

There were no blockers to protect Jordan from the heaviest rush he's faced since beginning his quarterback apprenticeship in the seventh grade.

"It felt like all of New York was on me," he says. "People were yelling so loud, I couldn't say, 'I'm not him.' I was just signing autographs, trying to get out of there. I was just a punk redshirt freshman back then."

Now little brother is all grown up.

Jordan Palmer is considered one of the 10 most talented quarterbacks in this draft class. And Cincinnati is the only place he doesn't want to go. Jordan and Carson discussed just that with Bengals owner Mike Brown during Super Bowl week in Miami. They've been compared to each other since the third grade, back when the competition was tee-ball. Now Jordan wants to go anywhere beside the Queen City so he can forge his own identity.

"We both talked about it, and Carson's spoken with people there," Jordan says. "The Bengals wouldn't be a great situation for me. I want to compete for the starting job every day. I'm biased, but I think he's the best quarterback in the NFL. And that's the one guy I wouldn't want to be behind.

"He's such a great older brother, I know he'd be as worried about how I'm doing and wouldn't be able to concentrate as fully on himself. The Bengals would be the one team that really wouldn't work in the draft."

Going to college in El Paso gave Jordan something other than a chance to win the starting quarterback job, like he had at Mission Viejo (Calif.) High, where he was coached by respected quarterback guru Bob Johnson.

"In high school, I was in Carson's shadow," Jordan says. "But in West Texas, it was about stepping out of that shadow. In going into the NFL, I want to do my own thing."

Jordan is more outgoing than Carson, but both possess a dry sense of humor to go with an ultra-competitive streak.

"I don't think there's a huge difference between us other than he's won a bunch of awards and become really famous and really rich," Jordan says.

At the NFL combine, Palmer evoked images of his big brother with his smooth throwing motion and the No. 9 on his gray sweatshirt (Carson sports the same number in Cincinnati). Jordan completed most of his throws, including a 40-yard hook-up with highly touted LSU wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

"Carson and Jordan look practically like twins; you can get them confused at times," says New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, Carson's backup for three seasons at Southern California.

"Jordan's probably had a lot of pressure on him because everyone wanted him to live up to what his brother did with winning the Heisman Trophy and playing for USC.

"But he's utilized his relationship with Carson to learn how to do things his own way. Jordan's really done a great job of coming into his own as a person and player."

Palmer's 149.6 passer rating at UTEP in 2006 ranked 15th in the nation. He passed for a career-best 3,595 yards with 26 touchdowns and 14 interceptions, while completing nearly 66% of his passes.

He also got an unexpected vote for the Heisman Trophy, which was awarded to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith. As a former Heisman winner, Carson Palmer gets to vote for college football's premier individual honor.

"He had sent me a text message saying he was giving me his vote for the Heisman," Jordan says. "I thought he was kidding and didn't think anything of it until people were raising a fuss about it. That's just the way he is.

"We are brothers first and quarterbacks second."

"Jordan is very similar to me," Carson says. "He has the same mechanics, but he's more athletic. He's extremely talented as far as the mechanics of the position. What sets him apart from me is that he was a track runner and receiver in high school, so that's where he's more athletic than I've ever been."

And it shows on the field.

"He can get outside the pocket and make people miss," says Carson, who doesn't run much. "He had a couple of 40-plus-yard scrambles. So it's been fun for me to watch him do that."

So who has the better arm?

"We've never had a throw-off, but we have pretty similar arms," Carson says. "We're extremely competitive, and we get after it in everything other than football."

Says Jordan: "When it comes to golf and video games, we don't joke around a whole lot. In H-O-R-S-E and golf, he used to mess with little brother's head."

Now that he's all grown up, Jordan is able to hold his own against Carson on the golf course, no longer an easy mark.

"We don't play for money because that would be stupid on my part," Jordan says. "But loser of a hole had to do a 'Corn Dog.' "

A corn dog? It's not an item found on the clubhouse menu. It's more likely something expected from Carl Spackler in Caddyshack.

"Worst guy on a hole has to take off his shirt and roll across a bunker — so when you're all sweaty, all the sand sticks to you making you look like a corn dog," Jordan says.

"You can see how much I've learned from Carson (in) that we never end up doing the corn dogs or swimming across the pond or drinking the pond water when we're out playing golf with friends."

Cassel has witnessed the Palmer technique for blasting out of sand traps that would no doubt leave Tiger Woods cringing.

"It's an ugly thing," Cassel says. "Trust me, you don't want to see one of those guys rolling naked through a sand trap."

Best thing little brother learned from Carson, other than avoiding corn dogs at all costs?

"Carson's one of the most likable guys you could ever want to learn from," Jordan says. "The greatest thing I learned from him was 'just be yourself.'

"I can be the nerdy, Southern California surfer kid here in West Texas. I'm convinced from being around Carson and seeing the way he interacts with his guys, the most important trait you can have as a quarterback is that leadership.

"Everybody can throw it at this level. That leadership ability is what separates you."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-03-22-jordan-palmer_N.htm

The kid is going to have to site for a few years and be "coached up". He might look like his brother, but doesn't have the skills that he has, nor did he have the advantage of playing in a pro-set offense like Carson did in college.

I do like the signing, especially late in the 2nd day.

Except for the part where one is an athletic QB that has run track and played WR in highschool and the other struggles to run the 40 in under 10 seconds.

:laugh:

I actually like this signing a lot. Guy was a WR in high school, played QB in a pass-heavy college system, and completed 66% of his passes his senior year. Has the same mechanics and is more athletic than Carson, who is a top 5 QB. And we all know how much Joe loves to coach up QBs.

JP could be the next Matt Schaub easily. Whether or not he does remains to be seen.

I liked the Palmer pick as well. A big dude with a nice arm. Plus, some of the clips of him I saw, dude could run pretty damn well. He's athletic enough as he was a receiver. Bottom line, I don't expect him to ever be our starter or anything, but I'm really hoping he can develop into a pretty good backup behind Campbell!

This is what you hope for in a 6th round pick. I have no idea why people were jumping on this like it was a bad thing. We have 2 guys my age at the 2nd and 3rd QB. They wont be around forever,and one might not make the 1st game. We do need depth, young depth at QB. He's got potential, good blood lines and is ahtletic with a strong arm. RIght now looks like a pretty good value pick.

If Jordan Palmer ever plays a down for us' date=' things have not gone well in Washington.[/quote']

You can say the very same thing at this point about Mark Brunell or Todd Collins. The difference is that both these guys are very old and wont be around.

Edit: 1500th post. Wewt me :laugh:

Archived