Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did Gregg Williams become an idiot?

NorthEast Skin

I think it was Theisman early last season that said something to the point of "You just cannot factor how much injuries can hurt a team." I agree we had injuries in spots all over the field, Portis, Moss, Springs, etc. And our Dline got beat up. I still think we need a youth movement on D Line but I am hopeful that Monty and Golston will help us get more life out of Griffin and Big Joe at least.

Four top-10 defenses in seven years ain't to shabby...and when put in this context, the 2006 defense looks more an aberration than anything.

That's what I've been saying all along. We need a receiver and a qb. Maybe JC grows alot this year, otherwise a return to great defense gets us 8-9 wins.

Some of you think he suddenly doesn't understand football after his track record. Some of you would rather store your faith in news reporters who have never seen nor understand game tape. Some of you listen to reporters (radio, columnist, etc.) pontificate as if they understand anything about football. Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

Redskins 2004 - #3 Defense

Redskins 2005 - #9 Defense

Redskins 2006 - #31 Defense

When coach Gibbs says the problem is not the defensive line based on what Gregg Williams has seen in probably hundreds of hours of tape film, well I believe them rather than some arbitrary reporter.

When these guys go after a position and ignore another position that most 'think' we need, I will put my faith in these coaches.

What say you?

I think I will give GW the benefit of the doubt this upcoming season. Let's see what he does with the new tools.

I also think I would never trust you with anything that requires independent thinking...prone as you seem to be to parental guidance and limited information sourcing.

That's what I've been saying all along. We need a receiver and a qb. Maybe JC grows alot this year, otherwise a return to great defense gets us 8-9 wins.

ummmm....let's not get carried away. those were not great Redskin defenses. they were very good, especially against the run, but not great.

I think it was Theisman early last season that said something to the point of "You just cannot factor how much injuries can hurt a team." I agree we had injuries in spots all over the field, Portis, Moss, Springs, etc. And our Dline got beat up. I still think we need a youth movement on D Line but I am hopeful that Monty and Golston will help us get more life out of Griffin and Big Joe at least.

agree on golston and monty...a lot potentailly riding on these two.

of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

What say you?

I say your posting this track record is promising, but only because Greg Williams can only go down one position from here. The upside is limitless, lol

His record shows a steady increase in standings improving the Bills, then improving the Redskins in 2004 and since then getting worse and drastically worse. If you want my confidence that this will get better and he knows what the heck he is doing and needs then you don't show me he took the 9th ranked Defense and turned them into the 31st out of 32 ranked Defense. Thats horrible and I don't believe he knows what he is doing right now. I hope he gets fired this off season, Greg had IT once but doesn't have it anymore. Injuries or not his play selection and how he held team meetings and practices showed this as much last year. Its not a matter of DL help or not, if he sucks it up again this season then I vote to cann his sorry butt for someone that can still coach and isn't an arrogant butthead.

I believe the defense will return to its 2005 form. If you have weak LB's who can't put pressure and can be blocked by Running Backs, you can't be successful. If your secondary can't cover anyone, you can't blitz your LB's as you need to drop them into coverage. If you can't blitz a safety as you know your CB's aren't good enough to cover man to man, you will have to keep safeties back. In my opinion, GW's defense doesn't thrive because of DLinemen, it thrives because the LB corps, corners and Safeties are all able to get to the quarterback. Olineman had to worry about every defender on the field, not just the DLinemen. In my opinion, if you have LB's, CB's, and Safeties who can all cover, tackle and blitz, your DLine will be more effective as they will have to look at everyone.

I anticipate more sacks, more pressure on the QB and a better defense overall because of the upgrades in the secondary. We had a top 10 defense without any big name DLineman, this year will be no different. Again, in my opinion.

So what happens if Griffen or a couple of the other starters are out 1/2 the year?

People want to blame injuries. Seems to me that the good teams keep playing and winning despite injuries.

The Pats do it every single year, so do the Eagles, Chargers, Colts, Bears too. But we lose either Griffen or Springs and the whole defense collapses.

Thank you. :applause:

GW is no idiot. He's one of the best coordinators and I'm glad we have him. I think this year will speak volumes for how much the injuries hurt us last year, but SkinsFTW brings up a very good point. One or two injuries shouldn't mean we're automatically 5-11.

Great teams in this leauge, ones who are perennial playoff teams, overcome injuries by having quality depth at all positions. I know we can't have an Andre Carter backing up Dwight Freeney at both ends, but I'd rather have 2 "B" rated players at each position along the line that an "A" and a "D". Cheaper, too.

Drafting Rogers was a great move, but so far, he's not panning out. I would have thought by now, he'd be one of the best corners in the league, or at least clearly our number 1. Now, he's questionably the number 2. Griff is a great tackle, and DjTj's statistical analysis proves that without him, we drop off significantly. I wish we had another 2nd/3rd year, day 1 DT behind him. Cake and eat it too thinking, I know, but still, point being, GW alone can't be blamed for the defensive mishaps of '06, nor can he take 100% of the credit for '05. It's the entire organization from Gibbs on down that populates and coaches this roster that eventually has to come in for Griff, run in place of Portis, catch in place of Santana, cover in place of Springs.

In all fairness, we faced more than our fair share of injuries last year. On a level playing field, we're nowhere near a bottom feeder defense. But we should never be one or two injuries away from disaster.

Some of you think he suddenly doesn't understand football after his track record. Some of you would rather store your faith in news reporters who have never seen nor understand game tape. Some of you listen to reporters (radio, columnist, etc.) pontificate as if they understand anything about football. Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

When coach Gibbs says the problem is not the defensive line based on what Gregg Williams has seen in probably hundreds of hours of tape film, well I believe them rather than some arbitrary reporter.

When these guys go after a position and ignore another position that most 'think' we need, I will put my faith in these coaches.

What say you?

:applause:

You must have voted just like I and the majority of ES did in this poll:

http://www.agu.org/checksite/jgd/2006JD008018/2006JD008018.pdf

Well i dont think he's lying. After AC began to get his act together and the coaching staff allowed them to just attack the backfield instead of stunting. They began to get some pretty good pressure on the QB. If thats the case, then why did we keep getting burned on 3rd down conversions? (i.e. the 2nd Dallas game, the St. Louis game, and against the Colts)

Because we absolutely could not stop the run.

Good post. Greg Williams and Joe Gibbs have both proven again and again that they get results. To doubt either one of them doesn't seem wise. Gibbs wins at everything he does. I think with the two of them together, while they both have made mistakes, will eventually figure it out. Only a matter of time. I think this is the year it comes together. I've been irritated with Williams, particularly with playing Holdman after the season was done. But I wouldn't choose any coaches over either of them. This could be a special year.

Skins24 makes a great point too. Despite all the gusto about being able to plug in any player in the system...blah, blah, blah... GreggW has benifitted from some pretty good talent over the years. Where is his Jevon Kearse & Aaron Schoebel now?

It occured to me too, but thanks for doing the leg work. good point.

I agree that Skins24's post was very compelling.

To add to his post, Williams' defenses in Buffalo and Tennessee also benefitted from having a talent pool rich in 1st round draft selections that were drafted by their original teams. The Titans drafted Henry Ford, Kenny Holmes and Jevon Kearse in the first round and also selected defensive tackle John Thornton in the 2nd. The Bills drafted Schoebel, Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay in the 2nd round.

Thus, another key difference between his defenses in Washington and his units in Buffalo and Tennessee is that the Bills and the Titans provided Williams with first/second round talent on a consistent basis to work with and as the stats show, they were the major contributors towards sacks and pressure on the qb.

Fat Stupid loser. Stop being a negative Nancy. JC will be fine this year. ;):1stplace:

I do think Williams is a good defensive coordinator, but i also think he has a big ego, runs off players, & thought to highly of himself last year & didn't adjust well. SO hopefully this year he turns it around. I still don't understand why we have both Jackson & Gray working on DB's in his system either.

To be fair, I guess Gregg Williams became an idiot when he could not make decent starters out of superbowl champion safety, Ryan Clark & Walt Harris, a three time probowler, a #9 CB draft pick. He has four top-10 picks at DB now, but hey, if they do well I guess it is because of GreggW's coaching and what a freaking genius he is. He's just not that great of a coach.

To be fair, I guess Gregg Williams became a great coach when he had Marcus Washington, Antonio Pierce, and Big Griff playing at a Pro Bowl level...something none of them had done before. Something Pierce hasn't done since.

To be fair, Ryan Clark was a solid starter here but has since lost his job in Pittsburgh to a rookie.

To be fair, Walt Harris never started here. He was a 3rd CB and decent enough at that.

To be fair, when Shawn Springs has been healthy, he has been a Pro Bowl caliber player instead of the inconsistent performer he was in Seattle.

To be fair, the defense that everyone agrees is devoid of line talent, talent that is nowhere close to what he had in Buffalo and Tennessee, has still played top-10 football 2 of his 3 seasons.

To be fair, that defense literally carried us into the playoffs and won a road game by itself.

It's funny, just imagine we drafted Amobi Okoye with the #6 pick. He goes on to play like Tommie Harris and becomes the anchor of the line for 2 seasons here. Then in his 3rd season, he gets dinged a little, and looks more like a 6th rounder than the 6th pick. Would people be calling to run him out of town? Not likely.

Sometimes you have to wonder if these so called media-experts even bother to do the basic research like knowing the team’s roster.

Before the draft we had Marcus, London, Lemar, Rocky, Khary and Trucks at LB. That’s just 6 linebackers when most teams carry 8 or 9. The information is right at your fingertips. The Pats have 12 and quite a few carry 10. Linebackers are nasty dudes. :insane: It’s a tough-guy position. Always has been. And many play big roles on special teams.

When you consider that we no longer have Posey or Holdman, depth at LB was a real problem for this team. And it still might be a problem if Rocky doesn’t improve and none of our picks pan out.

:2cents:

I think one of GW's problems, other then personnel, is giving too much freedom to the position coaches. That's the problem with Snyder hiring a bunch of former DCs as position coaches. Looks great on paper, but you end up with a clash of egos with guys who have different styles and ways of doing things. Just like Gibbs and Saunders are trying to concoct some new offense based off their styles, it looks like GW and Greg Blache have tried the same on the defense. The style of DL play the Skins go with is all Blache. It's what he coached in Chicago. Play the run first. As others have posted, GW has coached a different style in the past and let his DEs go after the QB. I think the Skins need to further streamline the coaching staff away from top heavy egos. GW is enough. It's refreashing to have someone like Kirk Olivadotti in the mix now. They need a couple more indians to go with the chiefs.

Archived