Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did Gregg Williams become an idiot?

NorthEast Skin

It's good to see a thread with some common sense and perspective about our defense.

For the record, many of the 'Williams is a lousy coach' posts are from the same people who

a) wanted us to trade away next year's draft to move up 4 slots to pick a wide receiver this year

B) seem to have no grasp of the reality that Joe Gibbs forgot more about football over breakfast this morning than they will ever know, regardless of their vast experience running a fantasy team or playing Madden on a Playstation or Xbox, and

c) would come up with a reason to criticize Dan Snyder if he found a cure for cancer.

Go Skins--I'll gladly take my chances with Joe Gibbs running this team.

Maybe I'm not looking at the right threads, but I don't see that many people saying GW is a terrible coach because of last year. What I do see is people getting frustrated with what they perceive, based on reports such as the one by Richard Justice, that he's letting his ego get in his way by thinking the defense is all about him and his scheme and not the players. That's why we, in their minds, got rid of Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark. A good argument can be made that the team suffered without them.

A lot of people don't like the way LA was treated either.

So, I think it's more that they don't like his ego and the perception that it's getting in the way of him making sound decisions, not so much his ability to coach.

Just my perception.

Hail,

H

Maybe I'm not looking at the right threads, but I don't see that many people saying GW is a terrible coach because of last year. What I do see is people getting frustrated with what they perceive, based on reports such as the one by Richard Justice, that he's letting his ego get in his way by thinking the defense is all about him and his scheme and not the players. That's why we, in their minds, got rid of Antonio Pierce and Ryan Clark. A good argument can be made that the team suffered without them.

A lot of people don't like the way LA was treated either.

So, I think it's more that they don't like his ego and the perception that it's getting in the way of him making sound decisions, not so much his ability to coach.

Just my perception.

Hail,

H

Agreed. :applause:

The concern isn't that he's an idiot, but that his ego might have gotten in the way.

Springs hurt most of the season. Griff hurt part of the season. Washington hurt played but didn't practice during the season, Salavea (was good for us in 05) hurt almost all season = not a good chance of stopping teams.

Williams knows what he is doing, McIntosh has some knee issues, Washington's hip, Fletcher's age, I like the fact we pick up some LB's...drafted two Defensive tackles last year.

Springs hurt most of the season. Griff hurt part of the season. Salavea (was good for us in 05) hurt almost all season = not a good chance of stopping teams.

The problem is there is a history of these guys having these types of problems. It is to be expected. The unexpected thing is when they are actually healthy for a whole season. Its like me going out on a day the weather man is calling for heavy rain, and then complaining when I don't have an umbrella.

Spring played in 15 games each of his prior two seasons. Griffin has had some injury issues as has Salave'a. Washington in 04 & 05 was our best player on defense, he missed a total of one game his first 6 seasons in the league and not one as a Redskin. He missed two games last year and played hurt the entire season.

I also forgot to mention Prioleau, who in his previous 4 seasons missed one game....he would have been a huge help this past season.

Where as I want to say your analogy with the rain/umbrella applies...uhhhmmmmm it doesn't have a place here.

I think with all the injuries last year we just couldnt do what he wanted and now that we have players and hopefully they stay healthy we'll have once again a top 5 or top 10 defense... I trust our staff completly

thank you...:applause: where was all the intelligent reference to our injury depleted team during the time before the draft?

get a grip people...this staff is fine, they know what they are doing. they may not need anybody to agree with them, but they'll make people see the light once given the oportunity without having to look over their shoulders.

I like what we've done so far. ultimately we're saying...2) we don't believe our D-line was the issue & B) if it was we'll find out & there will be absolutely NO excuses!

this puts the onus on the D-line to perform & predicates that D-line will be the position to blow up next off-season should they not be up to the task.

looks like it's time to earn those paychecks boys!!!

Ill believe it when I see it on the field. There is only one defensive coordinator in league history who managed a NFL record low turnovers and Redskins record low sacks. Yes, hes had some good years, hes also had some bad ones. So how about he has a good one again.

Spring played in 15 games each of his prior two seasons. Griffin has had some injury issues as has Salave'a. Washington in 04 & 05 was our best player on defense, he missed a total of one game his first 6 seasons in the league and not one as a Redskin. He missed two games last year and played hurt the entire season.

I also forgot to mention Prioleau, who in his previous 4 seasons missed one game....he would have been a huge help this past season.

Where as I want to say your analogy with the rain/umbrella applies...uhhhmmmmm it doesn't have a place here.

Are you trying to disagree w/ me? The 15 games played by Springs the two previous years are both somewhat misleading because there were several times that it was a real question as to whether he would play. His last 3 years in Seatle he played in 8, 15, and 12 games. One of the reasons they let him leave is because of injury concerns. The same is true for Griffin. When you get players that have a history of being injured, and one of the reasons you were able to get them was that history, you then can't be surprised when they have injury issues.

Certainly, the best player on the D in 2004 was Springs. He lead the team in sacks, I believe ints, and was the #1 CB.

Some of you think he suddenly doesn't understand football after his track record. Some of you would rather store your faith in news reporters who have never seen nor understand game tape. Some of you listen to reporters (radio, columnist, etc.) pontificate as if they understand anything about football. Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

Redskins 2004 - #3 Defense

Redskins 2005 - #9 Defense

Redskins 2006 - #31 Defense

When coach Gibbs says the problem is not the defensive line based on what Gregg Williams has seen in probably hundreds of hours of tape film, well I believe them rather than some arbitrary reporter.

When these guys go after a position and ignore another position that most 'think' we need, I will put my faith in these coaches.

What say you?

After last seasons disaster how can anyone have faith in GW.

With the Bills he got better every year; but with the Redskins he was worse each year. What's with that?

He was smart his first 6 years; but an idiot last year. Has age caught up with him? Is he over-the-hill and will he continue to deteriorate? Or, will he be able to return to form?

This is a make or break year for Gregg Williams. If the defense doesn't improve over last season he needs to go.

After last seasons disaster how can anyone have faith in GW.

With the Bills he got better every year; but with the Redskins he was worse each year. What's with that?

He was smart his first 6 years; but an idiot last year. Has age caught up with him? Is he over-the-hill and will he continue to deteriorate? Or, will he be able to return to form?

This is a make or break year for Gregg Williams. If the defense doesn't improve over last season he needs to go.

Considering there was only one team behind us in D and they really should have at least five new players w/ prominant roles on D (Landry, Smoot, the other new CB (don't remember his name), Fletcher, and presumably one of the drafted LBs will get some playing time), they will really be in trouble if they don't improve some.

When did Gregg Williams become an idiot?

When he joined the Redskins.:doh:

great post very good reasoning, some real valid points in there..... are you kidding me? in 04 and 05 i bet you were like " man this gregg williams guy really sucks his defense cant do anything."

To me Williams did a great job with the players he had. You saw some toughness in some game but you got to remember a lot of guys were hurt in the 2006 season. Wherever Williams goes the defence plays well so wait out and see this year. He isn't getting paid that big salary for nothing.

While I was a big Lavar fan and still wish him the best, if he wasn't doing what he needs to do he can't play. What kind of message to the team would he make if he started a player who wasn't working properly over a player giving it his all just because of salary/status?

Instead of looking for his own highlights on SportsCenter, Lavar should have watched Hoosiers and he might have figured this out. What a waste of potential.:gaintsuck

Archived