Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did Gregg Williams become an idiot?

NorthEast Skin

Some of you think he suddenly doesn't understand football after his track record. Some of you would rather store your faith in news reporters who have never seen nor understand game tape. Some of you listen to reporters (radio, columnist, etc.) pontificate as if they understand anything about football. Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

Redskins 2004 - #3 Defense

Redskins 2005 - #9 Defense

Redskins 2006 - #31 Defense

When coach Gibbs says the problem is not the defensive line based on what Gregg Williams has seen in probably hundreds of hours of tape film, well I believe them rather than some arbitrary reporter.

When these guys go after a position and ignore another position that most 'think' we need, I will put my faith in these coaches.

What say you?

thank you.. gw knows its was the lack of speed from the LBs and the inability for his corners to play bump and run coverage.. he was forced not to play like he wants because he had taylor cover for guys like rumph and wright

The NFL is a results-based, what-have-you-done-for-me lately type of league. In 2004/2005 most of us, including myself, were saying that Mr. Snyder HAD to do whatever he could to make sure GW stayed here and became our next head coach. It's amazing what having one of the worst defenses in the league will do for that kind of opinion.

Look, obviously Gregg Williams is a damn fine coach and a defensive innovator. But all of that doesn't mean squat unless your stopping opposing offenses, creating turnovers, and most importantly...WINNING.

I can pretty much promise you that if GW's defense returns to 2004-05 form, you'll stop hearing the complaints of those of us who wanted a D-lineman. If we stay near the bottom of the league defensively though, those complaints will only intensify.

It's about results. If GW believes he can get results with the team we've got, God bless him. I hope he makes me look stupid.

Some of you think he suddenly doesn't understand football after his track record. Some of you would rather store your faith in news reporters who have never seen nor understand game tape. Some of you listen to reporters (radio, columnist, etc.) pontificate as if they understand anything about football. Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

When coach Gibbs says the problem is not the defensive line based on what Gregg Williams has seen in probably hundreds of hours of tape film, well I believe them rather than some arbitrary reporter.

When these guys go after a position and ignore another position that most 'think' we need, I will put my faith in these coaches.

What say you?

I agree with everything you say. Our coaches know what our needs are more than the "experts". Our problem last year on defense was injuries and depth in the secondary. Everyone is getting healthy and we have added all kinds of depth in the secondary. Our defense next year probably won't be top 10 but it will most definetley better than last year's 31st ranked. We'll be fine, just watch!

HTTR!:point2sky

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: i am a coach myself and it always amazes me when people think they know more then people who are paid to know. i cant tell yah how many crazy ideas i have heard, "you think my son can play defence, maybe linebacker?" sure, your son whom isnt quick enough to play O line can play LB:doh: can and are coaches wrong, yah of course. while it cant be said about all of the yards we gave up on the ground a big part of it was when the alley player (ie safety) was either not there or failed to make the play

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

What say you?

I say the two things that I find most interesting about this are

1) that a thread like this has to be written in the first place, and

2) that people will be along shortly to call you a homer and tell you why you're wrong.

:cool:

I was always one to contend that the problem wasn't so much GW than it was injury and lack of talented depth at certain positions. The fact that we were ranked in the top 10 the first 2 years under him, should mean that last season shouldn't reflect his ability to motivate and coach.

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

What say you?

Great post NESKIN! The defense is bound to rebound this year! :cheers:

Another thing to consider is our players "bulking up" in the off season...for example, it was said my Snyder that he saw Brandon Lloyde at the owner's meetings in Phoenix and said he was working out and looked GREAT!

Players CAN get better...not to mention "healthy".

I attribute "most" of what happend in 2006 to injuries...and don't forget...if you look at the scores from last year, you'll see we were just 5 plays away from 10-6.

Some of you ignore this track record for Gregg Williams led defenses:

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

Any reason you started in 2000

Titans 1997 - #22 Defense

Titans 1998 - #14 Defense

Titans 1999 - #18 Defense

+

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

=

4 top 10

3 bottom 10

3 middle of the pack

Just thought you should show the whole thing.

I like GW just think he is slightly ovverrated and has a huge ego

He knows his stuff....I trust that he knows the problem from watching the tape, it is his system. His system is based around blitzing which was hard for us to do last year with a lack of a SS, and healthy corners to cover. He brought in tons of secondary and we will see lots of creative blitzing and hopefully another top 10 defense.

Any reason you started in 2000

Titans 1997 - #22 Defense

Titans 1998 - #14 Defense

Titans 1999 - #18 Defense

+

Titans 2000 - #1 Defense

Bills 2001 - #23 Defense

Bills 2002 - #15 Defense

Bills 2003 - #2 Defense

=

4 top 10

3 bottom 10

3 middle of the pack

Just thought you should show the whole thing.

I like GW just think he is slightly ovverrated and has a huge ego

Well as i mentioned before. Alot of it has to do with talented depth at key positions. Look at the Ravens, can you honestly say that Rex Ryan is a better coordinator than G. Williams? The only difference is that they have one of the greatest MLB's in NFL history in Ray Lewis, the best safety in the league in Ed Reed and a complement of young talented players that feed off their energy. Also don't neglect the fact that we were oft injured which killed us (i.e. Springs, Prieloeu, Griff, Daniels, M. Wash...etc).

I'll give you three options:

1. When he helped deciede that it was worth the money to make AA the highest paid safety in the NFL, especially when the team has a salary cap.

2. When he seemingly decieded to design a defense that is led in sacks by a DB, despite the fact that the other defenses he was involved w/ before he came to Washington had a DL lead the team in sacks except for in once case and then it was an LB (http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3737688#post3737688), never a DB, and that his most direct mentor (Jeff Fisher) continues to have defenses that are led in sacks exclusively by DL (2001-2007), and that his early mentor (Buddy Ryan) had defenses that had dominant pass rushers on the DL (http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197423&page=2&pp=15)

3. When he didn't force his CB's and S coaches to get together and have meetings together so that the players would be on the same page.

Archived