Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

DIY: stuff always costs more than you expect. Always need a bit more than planned. More wood, another quart, etc. It's either genius or outright stupidity on manufacturers' part. I think it's genius. it's the home improvement version of buns-hotdogs.

I use the 10% guideline, some use 20%

Always get 10% more product/ supplies as you measure out,

Always build in a 10% cushion for surprise expenses,

the only exception to the 10% rule,

is to double the amount of time you think it will take to complete the project.

Couple of good projects going there. Hope they turn out good. Sure they well. And the 10% guideline is a great one to have. This is one I've followed for a long time. Though because this house I'm in now is an older one,(with some possible issues),I've bumped it up to 15%. Never know what you may find when the old stuff comes off the walls or and/off the floor.

Chalkboard wall is almost complete. Just needs another coat. Not sure if I'm going to put a border around it or if I'll put in a chalk rail. But we got that multi-colored, interlocking foam flooring for in front of it. Should make a nice play area. At this age she can doodle on this thing but down the road I can see us using it to learn to write, read, draw, and do math! The can said a quart should cover 120 sq feet but it only got 104 sq feet "80%" of the way—but the paint did go much further than expected, if that makes sense.

I don't know if Americans include gardens as DYI, but here's something I put together recently.

VertGarden07.jpg

VertGarden06.jpg

I put this together just before our winter set in, and let it settle. I just kept the water up to it.

Now that spring has arrived, things are looking good!

P9040015.jpg

P9040017.jpg

The pallets and chaff bags cost me nothing. The potting mix was A$6.95 per bag (x12) and we spent A$150 for the plants. We just now have to start filling in the gaps and we have a few places were we can get cuttings. Not everything will do; mostly plants that cascade.

VertGarden03.jpg

Me, with the finished product, before we hibernated for winter.

Some better before and after shots.

VertGarden08.jpg

Before winter.

P9040011.jpg

After winter.

Edited by SkinnedAussie

Gardens,especially those you build yourself,are most definitely included in the DIY thread. Love the idea of the vertical gardening done with the pallets,(we're going to do a mix of that and elevated planters ourselves). Nice looking work. :)

Anyone familiar with flooring...

I am using 2 different dye lots for my floors. I am aware that their may be some variation in cloring ut is it normal for the dye lots to be different in size??

The 2 dye lots are exactly 1/8 inch different.

Of course I didnt realize this until after I had run 4 rows. :(

I don't know if Americans include gardens as DYI, but here's something I put together recently.

Garden is our next spring project. We have this un-manageable slope in our back yard. My plan is to terrace it (open to suggestions) using railroad tie walls or stone. But we definitely have a deer problem here so I might need to build something more "defensive"

Edited by Elessar78

Started cleaning the eaves today,(this after several passes with the bug spray). Unsure of when they were cleaned last. Man the spiders looked like they were building web track homes up there and around the windows. Next up. Shop vac and then caulking the gaps in the eaves.

Started cleaning the eaves today,(this after several passes with the bug spray). Unsure of when they were cleaned last. Man the spiders looked like they were building web track homes up there and around the windows. Next up. Shop vac and then caulking the gaps in the eaves.

Keep in mind your attic needs to breathe.

Hornets and wasps love the eaves of my house. I'm not sure how to discourage them. Plus they're pretty inacessible at about 40 feet off the ground where the ground is on a slanted hill.

It's an old idea, but with a recycle twist. Before you go ahead with it, search for the numerous options on how to build a vertical garden. I did it as cheap as possible, just as a test, but now know where we have gone wrong, and what we did right.

One thing we did learn by doing it the way we did it was to leave the pallets as we got them. We removed every second plank as the gaps looked too small, but in hindsight, we should have left it as it was.

The bags are held in just by the weight of the potting mix. You can use ag-mesh to cover the pallet, but you'll also need a way to seal three ends so that when you stand it up, you don't lose the potting mix.

You can also plant the plants and leave the pallet laying down until the plants settle, then stand it up, but you'll need to wait about 2-3 weeks.

You can also buy modules that allow you to add as you go.

Keep in mind your attic needs to breathe.

Going to put in some eave vents around the space while I do the caulking. At least that's the plan anyway,(this after I do some work in the attic. :paranoid: ).

Edited by Park City Skins

AHHHH!!!

Seems that different size tiles in different dye lots is a common occurence, whodathunkit?!?

So now I have to pull up the tiles I do have laid and remove the thinset from the cement board, which is what brings me here...

Any tips/tricks on making the task of removing thinset from the cement board any easier?!?

I was thinking of using my sonic crafter and a rigid scraper blade. Any thoughts?!?

I've coalesced my decades of effort to master home improvement techniques/ideas into one killer plan: move.

Not only is the home instantly improved, my neighbors property values start to rise.

He carries on about my "donkey cart' of **** that's been in storage for 10 years. His **** is still all over the house. :ols:

Do you have access to an sds rotary hammer? Gotta be three mode. Chisel bit it will come right off

I don't but after talking options over with friends that have knowledge of flooring I've decided that the best solution for this scenario is,

Tear ir up. I'm going to pull up the cement board and start over from that point.

EIther that or the hammer drill mentioned earlier. Hope that removal went well.

Well,have to go back down there,but the crawl space was good and bad. Well lit and fairly dry though I did find some evidence of a few old,minor leaks. Will have to trace those down. Need to remember the flashlight so I can look at the subfloor and plating to see if there's any evidence of water damage,(especially from the plumbing disaster that occurred my first day here). Need to save money for insulation under that sub floor too. :mad:

Hey, I've got a question for you guys with more experience concerning this stuff. This is not a DIY project, just something my wife and I are pondering in conjunction with a potential move down the line. How much does it cost to move a kitchen? There's a place that may be available in a few years in a nice area (belongs to family who are leaving the area) but one major issue is the kitchen...it is not large, and completely walled in besides the entrance from the dining room.

One option would be expanding, but it is bordered (behind walls) by a bathroom on one side, a stairwell going down on another, the back entrance/deck on side three, and the entrance to the dining room on the fourth. In other words, expansion may be difficult. Barring that, how much would it cost to, in effect, switch the kitchen and dining room, which has much more space. We're talking move the cabinets, the applicances, re-wire as necessary, run the gas line for the stove to the new room, whatever venting and permits are needed, etc. The whole shebang. Just take a ballpark guess as to how much something like that would cost.

I don't know if you need specifics. The house is a brick exterior, if that matters.