Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DIY Home Improvement Thread..

PleaseBlitz

You shouldn't look at it as strictly dollars and cents, you end up with tools, you learn how to do things, there's the satisfaction of knowing you made it happen and, if ever anything else happens, you know that job intimately and can attack it without remorse.

There are an awful lot of tools to be had on Craigslist, garage sales, FreeCycle, etc. that can fill out your toolbox. I've gotten whole lots several times, took what I wanted and moved the rest for just about breakeven on the $$.

The real downside of it is that the wife always thinks I can fix anything, she doesn't quite get it that there are some things beyond fixin'.

You shouldn't look at it as strictly dollars and cents, you end up with tools, you learn how to do things, there's the satisfaction of knowing you made it happen and, if ever anything else happens, you know that job intimately and can attack it without remorse.

There are an awful lot of tools to be had on Craigslist, garage sales, FreeCycle, etc. that can fill out your toolbox. I've gotten whole lots several times, took what I wanted and moved the rest for just about breakeven on the $$.

The real downside of it is that the wife always thinks I can fix anything, she doesn't quite get it that there are some things beyond fixin'.

I agree, I'm constantly watching Craigslist for tools. 

A few light switches are making a very slight crackling sound while being flipped. It is noticeable if you press the switch slowly. I have read online that it is a defective light switch - and changing them looks easy enough.

But is this something bigger? My house is only 1 1/2 years old and I have noticed the problem with 3 switches. Should I get an electrician in to check this out or just replace the switches?

Edited by Duckus

A few light switches are making a very slight crackling sound while being flipped. It is noticeable if you press the switch slowly. I have read online that it is a defective light switch - and changing them looks easy enough.

But is this something bigger? My house is only 1 1/2 years old and I have noticed the problem with 3 switches. Should I get an electrician in to check this out or just replace the switches?

What's the warranty on your new house?

What's the warranty on your new house?

Standard builder warranty. Different years for different things. I think electric is 2 years - need to look it up. If it is just the switches it is a $2-$3 fix that I can do - but not sure if the issue is bigger.

Standard builder warranty. Different years for different things. I think electric is 2 years - need to look it up. If it is just the switches it is a $2-$3 fix that I can do - but not sure if the issue is bigger.

Right, but it doesn't seem localized so it could be wholesale changes that need to be made. 

• 3 months later...

Did a nice weekend project for the wife. Added a chalkboard calendar in our kitchen.

Looks like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63774260/chalkboard-wall-calendar-with-memo-vinyl

Was really simple to do. Just need a quart of chalkboard paint, nylon paint brush, regular painters tape, and 1/4" painters tape.

Looks nice.  Wife did the same thing on the inside of our kitchen pantry door.  puts stuff up there daily for the grocery store runs on weekend.

@ STLO, I wish I knew how to install hardwoods.  The labor charges are a monster.  

Looks nice.  Wife did the same thing on the inside of our kitchen pantry door.  puts stuff up there daily for the grocery store runs on weekend.

@ STLO, I wish I knew how to install hardwoods.  The labor charges are a monster.  

Its surprisingly very very easy to do with the right tools. I am no handy man by any means. Lowes has a video on youtube. A little step by step thing. Its pretty much right on.

It is that. Putting down hardwood flooring was and is one of the easiest things I've done in carpentry all these years. I've put down thousands of feet of the stuff.  Hardest part is finding that nice straight line for the first run,(well after the many times difficult decisions of what kind of hardwood and choosing the direction you want to go). After that,it's largely pretty easy,(not always so on the back knees of course).  It's tough to be out of your league when it comes to flooring for the average DIYer if you show a little patience. 

Speaking of DIY projects,I'll have to post a pic of the landscaping makeover from this past Summer and Fall. Turned out pretty good I think. 

Does anyone have any tips for installing crown molding? I got the cutting down..getting ready to hang it tonight.

Not really much to it. Get a mitre saw to get your angles right if you are doing multiple walls.

Measure out and Cut to size

Nail down. Some finishing nails would be fine.

White silicon caulk for the bead

Paint to the caulk line for any marks you have created. If you don't have the original paint can and/or the paint is over 5 years old you will probably see the paint line.

Appropriate wood putty to clean up your nail holes.

Done job. A little tiring holding it up.

Edited by Cyclops

What is the best primer on the market?  I just bought a new home (new to me, at least).  Pretty much move-in ready except one of the bathrooms is PINK.  I mean like NEON PINK.  There is no pink that is pinker than this pink.  That must be eradicated immediately.  If I don't want to have to prime it like 4 times, I am going to need a coat that is the consistency of paste.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

The fluorescent lights in our garage went out recently. I have new bulbs, but I don't think that's the issue, the switch was crackling like somebody mentioned above. Now when I flip the switch there's no crackling, and nothing comes on. The first step is to try the new bulbs I guess, but if that doesn't work, and I have a sneaking suspicion it won't, should I try new ballast first or a new switch?

The fluorescent lights in our garage went out recently. I have new bulbs, but I don't think that's the issue, the switch was crackling like somebody mentioned above. Now when I flip the switch there's no crackling, and nothing comes on. The first step is to try the new bulbs I guess, but if that doesn't work, and I have a sneaking suspicion it won't, should I try new ballast first or a new switch?

The switch would be the cheaper of the two so maybe try that one first...but sounds like the ballast.

Does anyone have any tips for installing crown molding? I got the cutting down..getting ready to hang it tonight.

Always cut the molding upside down, fence is the wall, mitre base is the ceiling. use a 22.5 lap joint for field seams, hides the crack, never butt joint field seams. Caulk shrinks, use spackling instead, and lightly sand off excess before painting.

If they are fluorescent tubes the starters are probably out. Hopefully not the ballast. Not particularly hard but just a pain in the ass

What is the best primer on the market?  I just bought a new home (new to me, at least).  Pretty much move-in ready except one of the bathrooms is PINK.  I mean like NEON PINK.  There is no pink that is pinker than this pink.  That must be eradicated immediately.  If I don't want to have to prime it like 4 times, I am going to need a coat that is the consistency of paste.

Well those walls would be good for strawberry milk stains at least

• 2 months later...