Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato Twisting In The Wind?

MAATopDogg

I dont care who gets fired as long as the blame as laid at the right doors in all honesty. If the weak link is the scouting team then yes we need to clear out some scouts. If it IS Vinny then yeah he should go instead but what ever happens its a business and I hope they make the RIGHT business decisions this time around.

Dude, Cerrato is as good as gone!

First of all, he looks like he's on Coke and is constantly sniffing and playing with his nose.

His laugh is annoying and those eyes of his are always popping out of his head.

Even my daughter said that he is one ugly looking man.

Anyways, he gives away to many picks when it comes to trades,which equals that he sucks.

VINNY....Ya Fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's time to hire a professional for the FO job. About three years too late! Sure, "Vinny" has made a couple of good moves over the years (I put him in parentheses because we will never know how much credit he should get over those moves), but for every good personnel move "he made" there are about sixteen others that were abysmal failures!

I will never say that Gibbs' legacy hinges on his W-L ratio in Act II, because IMO Gibbs doesn't need to prove himself. Act I was a masterpiece. But to allow someone like Cerrato to be in a position of power (regardless of how little or how much) over personnel matters -- with the W-L record during Cerrato's tenure -- is denying Gibbs the ability to achieve his goal of winning a Super Bowl in this second tour. What we need is another Bobby Beathard. NOT Dan's bestest racquetball buddy!

Yes kids .. it's time to throw Vincent under the bus!

This is all just a brilliant motivational tactic by Snyder. Now our players will unite and rally behind Vinny, giving maximum effort in an attempt to save his job.

Players rally behind coaches and other players. They couldn't care less who is hired/fired in the FO, as long as their checks don't bounce!

This has been speculated for some time now. We will all just have to wait and see. Personally, I think they are going to bring someone new in, but I don't think anyone is leaving. Why would they prance Vinny out for the press conference the other day if they knew they were canning him in a week or so?

Enough of the Vinny show. Haven't we all had enough? I like that Bobby DePaul rumor on Pro Football Talk. I hope it's true.

Here's his official bio from the Bears web site:

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

DePaul evaluates players in the professional ranks, prepares the club for its acquisitions through free agency or the waiver wire and manages the advance scouting for Bears opponents. In addition to supervising the pro personnel department, DePaul has a hand in day-to-day football operations, assisting with salary cap maintenance, contract negotiations and overseeing the development of scouting football systems technology.

DePaul entered the NFL in 1989, hired by former Bears defensive back Richie Petitbon as a member of Joe Gibbs’ coaching staff at Washington where he stayed until 1993 after winning an NFL championship with the Redskins’ Super Bowl XXVI victory over Buffalo. The Bowie, Md., native then served on the Bengals coaching staff for three seasons before joining the Eagles as a scout.

Born in 1963, DePaul attended Archbishop John Carroll High School in Washington, D.C., where he played fullback and linebacker on a team that lost only once during his three-year varsity career. DePaul attended the University of Maryland and played linebacker on three Atlantic Coast Conference champion Terrapin squads and made four bowl appearances under former Detroit Lions and San Diego Chargers head coach Bobby Ross. DePaul and his wife, Lisa, have two daughters, Ariel and Ashley.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

Let's set aside any debate about Vinny's job ability level for a moment and just say he's incompetent in order to address the following.

For those who keep focusing on how Vinny is such a huge factor, if it is so, I would be more disturbed by the implications. We know that all other scouting and personnel and all asst. coaches have a voice. Gibbs insists on that and always has, even if he makes the final decisions.

It seems to that the level of impact attributed to Vinny here means that even if he selects and reccommends poor choices for our needs, no one else, specifically Gibbs, GW, Buges, Al, etc., has the football acumen or authority to see that and make alternate choices and reccomendations and then follow them these last three years.

Now even if you are in the camp that figures Vinny is here because he's Dan's lap dog, my musings still apply. So think about that---whatever failings (and successes) we've had still fall on Gibbs first, then GW etc. in descending coach order. Of course a better top-scout makes a diff (we all would hope) and I'm all for it. But if firing Vinny "solves" a lot of problems, then we have more serious problems of talent evaluation and decision-making with Gibbs and the other coaches than I thought.

My call is the damage done by Vinny, like so much other stuff, gets magnified and runs off the deep end. If Vinny has just been a yes-man, and runs to get whatever "the guys" say they want without giving informed critical feedback, and if we replace him with someone who can and will do that better (the easy part)--great, if that new scout is heeded. So to be perfectly clear, getting rid of Vinny to improve the personnel dept. is great. But it if that firing "makes everything way better"---hoo boy, that's scary.

Bottom line, I don't think Vinny (or Dan) has been our biggest problem (at least of the problems we have control over). In the last three years, barring injuries, I believe it's been Gibbs getting back in the groove, including with personnel choices, and the general structure (so many chiefs) and changes (Al).

We have not had a focused coaching-led team identity and character that's remained consistent. But I am at the top of the Gibbs' supporters and believe he will get it right, and I think we have incredible coaching talent that only needs to find its focus and unity and project that to the players. We have some solid talent and should add at least something to it this year. Fire Vinny, keep Dan in the background, and aquire whatever player, but the coaches need to excel at their jobs and lead the way.

I doubt that Vinny is a great evaluator of talent. I think he excels as an organizer and a real asset when wooing Free Agents. As long as he stays in those roles I don't have a problem with him being there.

I feel fine leaving Gibbs with the final decision. Because he'll keep going after the character guys that you need to be a winning team. Yes, he'll miss and has shot himself in the foot. But give him a better scouting staff (maybe he has it in Scott Campbell) and I think the ship will right itself.

I'd just like to point out the fact that Vinny was fired by Schottenheimer and we had some good taletn come in with him gone, Antonio Pierce for example. Vinny has been brought back and who does he give Spurrier as a RB? TRUNG CANIDATE.

Come on. Vinny is a joke.

I doubt that Vinny is a great evaluator of talent. I think he excels as an organizer and a real asset when wooing Free Agents. As long as he stays in those roles I don't have a problem with him being there.

I feel fine leaving Gibbs with the final decision. Because he'll keep going after the character guys that you need to be a winning team. Yes, he'll miss and has shot himself in the foot. But give him a better scouting staff (maybe he has it in Scott Campbell) and I think the ship will right itself.

We need to have Vinny removed as far from this organization as possible.

Bottom line, I don't think Vinny (or Dan) has been our biggest problem (at least of the problems we have control over).

I agree, Jumbo.

We are told -- and I believe it -- that Joe has the final say. Therefore, the only question in my mind is: What has Joe done wrong? It's a fair question when we consider that we are six games under .500 in Gibbs Two and coming off a 5-11 season.

A few months back, I posted my quick study of the 2006 All-Pro selections. 95% of them were playing for the team that drafted them; proving to me that NFL teams are obtaining their best players through the draft and keeping them. We aren't doing that.

I agree, Jumbo.

We are told -- and I believe it -- that Joe has the final say. Therefore, the only question in my mind is: What has Joe done wrong? It's a fair question when we consider that we are six games under .500 in Gibbs Two and coming off a 5-11 season.

A few months back, I posted my quick study of the 2006 All-Pro selections. 95% of them were playing for the team that drafted them; proving to me that NFL teams are obtaining their best players through the draft and keeping them. We aren't doing that.

We've never really been told that. Joe himself said that it is a colelctive thing and if he and the GM (Cerrato) come to a disagreement, then the owner breaks the tie.

If we aren't drafting the right players and bringing in the wrong FAs, let's blame Vinny. It was he would went out and got Spurrier his RB: TRUNG CANIDATE.

I dont think he's the only one that needs to be released...

Look at what we've done in the last few drafts....

Last few drafts? Sean Taylor was sa no brainer. Carlos Rogers has done ????

We didn't have a first rounder last year.

Cerrato has been here since Snyder bought the team EXCEPT when Schottenheimer fired him. We made some of our best decisions that year. Antonio Pierce, getting rid of Deion, etc.

Cerrato needs to go. I just hope he doesn't make any of these decisions on the draft or FAs before he leaves.

Enough of the Vinny show. Haven't we all had enough? I like that Bobby DePaul rumor on Pro Football Talk. I hope it's true.

Here's his official bio from the Bears web site:

Bobby DePaul, in his sixth year as the Bears director of pro personnel, has played an instrumental role to Chicago’s two division championships achieved during his tenure with the team. Hired on June 19, 2001, the 17-year NFL veteran came to Chicago after serving as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles player personnel department for four years following an eight-year career as an NFL assistant coach.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/FrontOfficeBio.asp?front_office_id=8

I'm excited!!!

Bottom line, I don't think Vinny (or Dan) has been our biggest problem (at least of the problems we have control over). In the last three years, barring injuries, I believe it's been Gibbs getting back in the groove, including with personnel choices, and the general structure (so many chiefs) and changes (Al).

Jumbo, I don't really think you can blame failure on Gibbs. As bad as things may be, he's done better than any other coach we've had since he left the first time. In three years, he has one playoff appearance and one playoff victory. How many years did Norv coach? Marty wasn't given much of a chance, but who's fault was that? Robiskie? Same thing. Spurrier?

I almost think what Gibbs has done proves he is still a HOF coach because he's done something under the current situation that no other coach as been able to do. The forces within are keeping Gibbs back, in my opinion, not the other way around.

I haven't been real thrilled with some of Gibbs's moves, like hiring Saunders and allowing him to install a different offense, but I think there are other factors keeping him back, as a coach.

As a "GM," that might be different. Therefore, it seems to me the personnel department needs an overhaul, not the coaching department (I'm not suggesting you think Gibbs should go).

I would love to see Gibbs focus on coaching, Vinny out, and someone come in to run the entire personnel show.

Hail,

H

Archived