• Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh
    • Adam Carriker DE Nebraska
    • Leon Hall CB Michigan
    • Robert Meachem WR Tennessee
    • Ben Grubbs G Auburn
    • Trade down with New England for 24 pick and 28 pick in first round

New airline to offer $10 tickets

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/25/news/companies/skybus.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Budget carrier Skybus Airlines says it will have at least 10 seats available for the one-way tickets on its flights through Dec. 15.

April 25 2007: 7:27 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Skybus Airlines Inc., a new U.S. budget carrier, said it will start flying May 22 with $10 one-way tickets available on all flights.

"Beginning today, passengers can buy airline tickets for less than the cost of a tank of gas," Skybus CEO Bill Diffenderffer said in a statement Tuesday.

The launch of the new low-cost carrier, which is based in Columbus, Ohio, could pressure established carriers like AMR Corp's (Charts, Fortune 500) American Airlines and Delta Air Lines Inc. (Charts, Fortune 500)

Skybus, which plans to acquire more than 70 aircraft during the next five years, hopes to be able to undercut rivals by selling advertising space inside and outside its planes and charging for priority seating and checking bags.

It keeps costs down by only taking reservations over the Internet and not staffing a call center.

The start-up carrier, which has raised $160 million from investors, will have at least 10 seats available for $10 on its flights through Dec. 15. The $10 tickets don't include taxes and fees.

Skybus plans to fly initially from Columbus to Burbank, Calif.; Portsmouth, N.H.; Richmond, Va.; and Kansas City, Mo.

On May 29, it plans to add service to Bellingham, Wash.; Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C.; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

In June, Skybus plans to begin flying to Oakland, Calif.

The budget airline recently announced an advertising deal with Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. (Charts), in which ads will cover the inside and outside of Skybus planes.

One plane will bear Nationwide's logo and slogan on its fuselage, and ads will also be featured on the plane's tray tables, overhead bins, restroom doors and refreshment cart, the companies said. Top of page

-------------------

I dub thee, most annoying airline ever. :cheers:

Can you imagine all of the ads they described in the article?

I'm giving it six months and chapter 11 here we come!

I think you have to make your flight reservations online -- and they are only going to have 10 seats at the $10 price per flight.

Regardless, it sounds like the ads everywhere would be annoying as heck. I can't believe they'll be successful using ad revenue as a major source of income for an airline. Sounds very chintzy.

But hey, who knows...

It's $10 one way and a limited # of seats per plane. You may not get the $10 fare on the way back. And, from the article, they seem to have a limited number of destinations: Columbus to Burbank, Calif.; Portsmouth, N.H.; Richmond, Va.; and Kansas City, Mo. On May 29, it plans to add service to Bellingham, Wash.; Greensboro/Winston-Salem, N.C.; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla. In June, Skybus plans to begin flying to Oakland, Calif.

Let me know when they have planes that come to DC.

For 10 bucks, I don't care!

So how does this work? Do just show up at the airport and say I want a $10 ticket?

says there are only 5 10$ seats per aircraft. Also says that they don't have a call center so you will have to buy your 10$ ticket online.

Count me on the who cares it's 10 bucks list.

If they charge me for food, no biggie. I don't waste my time with the food I get for free anyway.

The only way ads would get annoying is if they put them in the middle of the movie or something. I'm immune to billboard ads anyway, since I see them everywhere I go.

Horray! It's coming to greensboro! I wonder if you can find out if it will be $10 before you purchase the tickets... $10 to Washington State? That'd be nice, my bro lives out there...

And I don't care if the entire flight is a timeshare presentation, you can't pass up a $10 ticket...

Archived