Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC: Who's Calling the Shots for Each Team?

Hooper

art, may i ask you how much you speak to these guys and what the nature and depth of the conversations are?

Not frequently to be sure :0. And beyond the scope of somethings I can say at times almost each time :).

Well, considering the Cowboys don't close the curtains, inviting the media in their war room you should really pay closer attention to what's going on there.

:laugh:

They allow us to see what they want us to see.

No one ever saw Parcells and Jones about to slit each other's throats after BP decided to trade down in 2003, for instance. Don't be so naive to think we know half of what goes on in there.

He means that the level of discourse often includes information too important to disclose to a public audience (at least at the time he's hearing it), indicating that they converse beyond the casual. :)

you drinking too? or do you have a decoder?

after the 25th read, that's what i was thinking he was saying. just a weird way of saying it. :laugh:

Snyder gets the final say? I dont think so. Gibbs gets the final say and anyone who knows anything about the Skins knows that. People would LIKE to think Snyder gets the final say.

And McD5, for someone so far away, you seem to know so much about the inner workings of the Redskins organization. Its amazing how you are able to get behind those closed doors, when people who we thought were closer, tell us the complete opposite of what you are spouting. Please enlighten us.

Please. Gibbs isn't even coaching right now. Not the offense, not the defense, not special teams. What would give you the misconception that he is actually making personell decisions?

If Gibbs were coaching, the highest paid ever in his position, Arch, wouldn't have rode the bench last year.

Too many blind fans would have you believe that Gibbs is running the ship. They want to believe he is running the ship. The truth is, he isn't coaching anything, and it is impossible to know if he has any real input on anything going on up there.

You mean we have an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator? Man I bet we even have a special teams coach!

:laugh:

They allow us to see what they want us to see.

No one ever saw Parcells and Jones about to slit each other's throats after BP decided to trade down in 2003, for instance. Don't be so naive to think we know half of what goes on in there.

Well, when it comes to the Redskins I don't have to pretend. You see, I actually talk to the people involved. And, hey, they talk to the media and tell you all about it. And, fortunately, with the Cowboys I don't have to pretend to know anything either. Again, Jones is the GM. That's not a guess. That's on his business card.

OK, so now we all know, from Art, that Gibbs is the one screwing it all up.

Or at least sabotaging previous efforts with idiotic moves from time to time.

IMO, there never should be a mistake made on veteran players. I understand injuries like with Barrow who should have been a monster here. We shouldn't sign "Proven players", who don't fit or play, especially to huge contracts such as AA and Lloyd, or giving away draft picks like with Duckett, Lloyd again, and Brunell.

To me, if were going to go 50/50 then just use the draft and get young guys who come here to play, not because we give out nice bonuses so they can chill.

It's all Gibbs then. Gibbs has changed a lot since he ran the 1981-1983 teams. I think he went from a guy who played a lot of young players in the early 80's (maybe because Beathard gave him no choice) to someone who wouldn't let them see the field. Thats a mistake too. Then 1/2 of our draft picks play on other teams their rookie year so we can have old scrubs or a receiver to catch 15 balls a year.

Of the people on this board, I'm willing to bet I'm the only person who's ever spoken to Vinny Cerrato, Dan Snyder AND Joe Gibbs. And, of the people who wrote the article, the same is true. Trust me, Joe Gibbs runs the ship. Snyder just pays for the sails :).

Are you pretending you're their confidante?

Be very, very careful about putting all your trust in Art on this one. I'm not saying he's lying, but he's undeniably biased.

Madd, you've never fully explained how I'm "biased".

But, let me help you explain it.

Joe Gibbs is my PERSONAL hero. He's a man I admire more than any other man. I respect his skills in this world and as a person, I find his character and work ethic that which others should aspire to mirror in their own lives. Dan Snyder is a guy I believe did a pretty fine job going from middle class to super rich, but, I've no where near the respect for him personally that I do for Gibbs.

As I've said to you many times, it is the bias YOU have that allows you to continue being so blind. It would be far easier for me, given I far prefer Joe Gibbs in this world, to simply blame Dan Snyder for Joe's mistakes. You likely also love Gibbs and your problem is your bias prevents you from recognizing that you are not strong enough to assign blame to one of your heros. I don't have that problem. I also am strongly convinced Gibbs can resolve the errors he's made, which is where my bias may get the better of me.

Now, can you please explain MY bias on the matter? And again, let me assure you, I know, from DIRECT attribution and conversation the precice details of how our organization runs. So, in the manner that I actually know what I'm talking about, I am also biased against factually inaccurate statements.

OK, so now we all know, from Art, that Gibbs is the one screwing it all up.

Or at least sabotaging previous efforts with idiotic moves from time to time.

IMO, there never should be a mistake made on veteran players. I understand injuries like with Barrow who should have been a monster here. We shouldn't sign "Proven players", who don't fit or play, especially to huge contracts such as AA and Lloyd, or giving away draft picks like with Duckett, Lloyd again, and Brunell.

To me, if were going to go 50/50 then just use the draft and get young guys who come here to play, not because we give out nice bonuses so they can chill.

It's all Gibbs then. Gibbs has changed a lot since he ran the 1981-1983 teams. I think he went from a guy who played a lot of young players in the early 80's (maybe because Beathard gave him no choice) to someone who wouldn't let them see the field. Thats a mistake too. Then 1/2 of our draft picks play on other teams their rookie year so we can have old scrubs or a receiver to catch 15 balls a year.

Gibbs has made far more good personnel moves than bad ones. His primarly failure has not been in a personnel department. It's been as the head coach. By his own admission, he struggled to call an offense in the modern game his first two years, which hurt the team a great deal. His addition of Saunders, while smart to bring in someone to help the offense, was poorly calculated because the players hated it. The team began pulling away from him, not for him not listening, but for him not communicating well enough to the players so they would believe that he would listen.

The situation where Portis spoke of how he was the only guy who would talk to Gibbs about concerns because all the other players said they didn't have the juice to is very apt. And Gibbs has done a great deal this offseason to correct some of those internal issues. With hope, that will pay off this year.

Please. Gibbs isn't even coaching right now. Not the offense, not the defense, not special teams. What would give you the misconception that he is actually making personell decisions?

If Gibbs were coaching, the highest paid ever in his position, Arch, wouldn't have rode the bench last year.

Too many blind fans would have you believe that Gibbs is running the ship. They want to believe he is running the ship. The truth is, he isn't coaching anything, and it is impossible to know if he has any real input on anything going on up there.

Wow, you could'nt have been more wrong if tried. Gibbs is in charge. If Gibbs was'nt in charge we never would have hired Saunders that was Joe's call. If Gibbs was'nt in charge we probably would have been trying to sign Nate Clements. If Gibbs was'nt in charge we would have agreed to the Briggs deal. Just because he is delegating some of the duties don't think that he isn't calling the shots. Just remember when at the owners meating when Rosenhouse went to Snyder and Vinny about a trade for Briggs. What was it that they reported that Snyder said? Lets go ask Joe!

Picking coaches to relieve him of any duties, yes. Coaching anything, no.

I think it is clear who initiated the trade for Briggs. Who started it, who picked out EXACTLY what we would be willing to trade for him, and who pressed the situation.

The....hey, let's run it by Joe comment was simply lip service out of respect. Notice how after they "ran it by Joe" none of the details of the offer changed? If Gibbs were making the personnel decisions, Snyder wouldn't have had the cahones to go about trying to get Briggs in the manner that he did. He made it clear that Briggs was who he wanted, what he as the owner was going to give up for him, and force fed it to Joe.

The title "Head Coach" in this situation is absurd. He isn't coaching anything. "Head Coach Picker" might be more apt.

:logo:

Madd,

Before you answer, I will also tell you this. I contacted the team directly last night. I was told, directly, without equivocation, that Coach Gibbs as the head coach and team president, is the sole authority on who coaches, plays and supports the team. That I could attribute that as a direct statement, in quotes, that the team will fully and has fully made available to all media members through multiple outlets, including this one. The team's makeup is not mysterious or hidden or confusing. All decisions run through Gibbs save paying the bills, which is the sole responsibility of the owner.

Very similar to when Gibbs would relate stories about how he and Beathard would go to Cooke to ask for money to do something and Cooke would give it with the bony, wagging finger saying, "You'd better not be wrong." That's the involvement of our current owner as well, who, frankly, has been doing a lot of non-football oriented business moves lately -- Cruise, Great America, Johnny Rockets, Red Zebra among them -- to be serving in a personnel leadership role with the team. But, you KNOW this. So, embrace it.

This article was originally written at least a couple years ago, and is rehashed every year around this time. It makes sense if it was written for Gibbs' first year back, but the Redskins section has obviously not been updated since then. Looks like anyone without obvious changes in the FO or coaching like the Giants and Cows hasn't been updated.

Yeah, Snyder has the final say on the money side of it, but this is Gibbs' team.

Archived