Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why would protein shakes be banned for High School athletes?

SkinsNatsFan

My son is playing High School lacrosse for the first time this year. He's much thinner than everyone else on the team. My wife saw a package of whey protein powder at Costco and figured he could have it as a milkshake type thing in addition to his regular meals. Not a big deal and seemingly harmless. We're not into having him try to seriously bulk up. He's just out there having fun and getting regular exercise.

My son has told us that the high school trainer said that protein shakes are not allowed and anyone caught using them would be cut from the team. Of course he doesn't remember any more information than that and I'm not even sure he got that right.

Are there reasons to be concerned about protein shakes, and if so, what are they?

Cause people are paranoid about PED's these days and don't take the time to do research about whats good and whats bad.

So they throw up their arms and ban anything and everything and figure thats better instead of actually taking the time to do research and figure out that protein shakes aren't bad for your kid and won't turn him into one of the Powell brothers overnight.

There's nothing wrong with a protein shake.

Guest sk1nzHEAD

What!?!? all of my friends on sports teams drink protein shakes..take creatin and some of them even take anabolics...the coaches here don't even discourage that..

Theres abosolutely nothing wrong with taking whey protein shakes, what the school is probably worried about is the other things that often wind up in athletes protein shakes, such as sterorids and such. Just go into GNC or another similar store and look around. There are so many different types of protein shakes and similar items and often times its hard to figure out whats in them and what isnt.

I'm thinking of getting some protein shakes to help add some muscle, what kind are good?

im not sure how good it is for bulking up, but from a taste perspective, Syntrax Nectar brands are good. They have 23grams per serving, which is the standard amount for most mixes.

im not sure how good it is for bulking up, but from a taste perspective, Syntrax Nectar brands are good. They have 23grams per serving, which is the standard amount for most mixes.

Sounds good, I'll have to take a look in GNC next time I'm there. Any thing I should look out for?

as long as there aren't any side effects to drinking protein shakes, I don't see why the school would ban them.

Theres abosolutely nothing wrong with taking whey protein shakes, what the school is probably worried about is the other things that often wind up in athletes protein shakes, such as sterorids and such. Just go into GNC or another similar store and look around. There are so many different types of protein shakes and similar items and often times its hard to figure out whats in them and what isnt.

Never shop at GNC...they mark everything up by a minimum of 10-20%.

www.bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Protein

An article fitting for the thread

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi80.htm

Whey Protien products with help on what they are.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/whey.html

Many other sources besides this site for info as well,(including and especially nutritionists). Supplements are largely unregulated so there is reason for concern. However, research and research well and you will find that there are some very good and safe products out there.

I'm thinking of getting some protein shakes to help add some muscle, what kind are good?

Muscle Milk. I took it in to my nutritionists and was surprised when he said he takes it too. He heavily endorsed the stuff. It's harmless and has essential items in it to help build muscle. If you take it along with excercise youll be very happy with your body.

I drink 3-4 protein shakes a week with 44 grams of protein each and I weight 141. The only thing it does is give you what you should be getting anyway.

If this crazy rule actually exists and the trainer notices your son is getting bigger, it might cost him his spot on the team and effect him long-term. Personally, I think it is ridiculous and he should drink protein whenever the hell he wants to. But you should probably think about it some more.

You seem unsure of what your son thinks he heard. If I was him I would look into and make sure it is an actual rule and not some crazy rant of the trainer.

Muscle Milk. I took it in to my nutritionists and was surprised when he said he takes it too. He heavily endorsed the stuff. It's harmless and has essential items in it to help build muscle. If you take it along with excercise youll be very happy with your body.

It tastes damn good too. I really liked it.

It's expensive, though. Only reason why I don't use it anymore.

Is there a chance kids are putting something else in those shakes and that is why they have been banned??

I also think if they kid gets bigger he can just say it is to working out or eating a lot, kind of hard for the trainer to say he is taking those shakes etc... also are the shakes only not allowed at school??

Feed your kid 2 cans of tuna fish every day instead.
Yes mercury is good for you. Not.

Seriously, protein shakes are just that, protein. One heaping scoop is like eating half a tub of cottage cheese without all the fat or a really big steak.

Some rules are just stupid.

Archived