Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why would protein shakes be banned for High School athletes?

SkinsNatsFan

Yes. DPS Nutrition is the cheapest I've found.

Optimum Nutrition Whey - fruit punch flavor is great.

Also try a scoop of chocolate protein mixed with a 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter, a TBSP of honey, and a serving of normal cooked Quaker Oats for breakfast. Pour some skim milk over it, Ummm. :hungry:

Sounds nasty, but its great.

Many other sources besides this site for info as well,(including and especially nutritionists). Supplements are largely unregulated so there is reason for concern. However, research and research well and you will find that there are some very good and safe products out there.

Exactly. Since protein mixes aren't FDA approved, there literally could be anything in them. And many companies do put "extra's" in even pure protein shakes so the user sees improvements and continues to buy the product.

That's why the trainer told your son that. :2cents:

I have not heard it was banned at HS level but the NCAA does ban it.

Added:

The school is barred from providing it,which is a bit different

The Division I legislation, approved and in effect starting August 1, 2000, reads as follows:

"An institution may provide only non-muscle-building nutritional supplements to a student-athlete at any time for the purpose of providing additional calories and electrolytes, provided the supplements do not contain any NCAA banned substances. For reference, permissible non-muscle-building nutritional supplements are identified according to the following classes: carbohydrate/electrolyte drinks, energy bars, carbohydrate boosters, and vitamins and minerals."

The legislation makes it permissible to provide the allowed supplements year round.

During its June 11-13 meeting, the Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports (CSMAS) developed a list of nutritional supplements identified as permissible and non-permissible under Proposal No. 99-72 to assist the NCAA membership services staff in developing legislative interpretations. The committee considered input provided it by concerned outside organizations. The lists below are not exhaustive. CSMAS will be a resource for questions that cannot be answered from these lists.

Permissible

* Vitamins and minerals

* Energy bars (no more than 30 percent protein)

* Calorie replacement drinks (for example, Ensure, Boost)

* Electrolyte replacement drinks (for example, Gatorade, Powerade)

Non-permissible

* Amino acids

* Chrysin

* Condroitin

* Creatine and creatine-containing compounds

* Ginseng

* Glucosamine

* Glycerol

* HMB

* L-carnitine

* Melatonin

* Pos-2

* Protein powders

* Tribulus

* Any other muscle building products

* Package label may not specify more than 30% of total kcals coming from protein

https://webpoint.usawaterpolo.com/wp15/Forum/ShowThread.asp?msg_ThreadID=78919

Thanks guys!

No, I'm not convinced he came home with accurate information, but he is sure that's what the trainer said. He has no interest in breaking the rules and I absolutely support that 100%, so as far as having him drink the shakes, it's a closed issue. He's still a work in progress as far as listening and making sure he's got his facts straight, but we'll work on that separately. :)

I was more interested in the facts regarding the safety of protein shakes and that has been addressed well here also. Thanks!

PCS, thanks for the links. That's what I was looking for, but when I searched the web, I always ended up with pages and pages of sites selling products rather than giving information.

I've been on a low carb/higher protein, higher fiber diet for a few years now, which helped me (along with that ever present footnote of increased regular exercise) lose 100 pounds and maintain it, give or take a few pounds over the months since. I'll probably use the shakes as a quick meal when needed.

""I was more interested in the facts regarding the safety of protein shakes and that has been addressed well here also. Thanks!"

Aside from the concern about unknown contaminates/ingredients,the only issue I know of is kidney trouble if you ingest too much...but I think that is a overrated risk.

creatine and ephedra are another story.

Thanks to protein shakes (specifically meal replacement powders) and creatine, I have put on 15 lbs of muscle in the past 3 months. I am a classic ectomorpph and have trouble gaining weight of any kind. If your son is lifting and wants to get bigger then by all means take protein. There is no way for anyone to test for it.

This coach sounds like a nut or your son heard wrong. Most high school coaches will encourage high protein intake for contact sports.

It tastes damn good too. I really liked it.

It's expensive, though. Only reason why I don't use it anymore.

The GNC sections of most rite-aids stell the stuff for 20 bucks. It's a best kept secret. I've gotten my last few containers of muscle milk from rite aid.

How did it work for you? It worked and works extremely well for me. Drink it right before and after a workout and I feel great.

It tastes damn good too. I really liked it.

It's expensive, though. Only reason why I don't use it anymore.

Yea it does taste pretty damn good, couple of my friends use it. I use Optimum Nutrition whey protein, doesn't taste bad at all and only has 110 calories per serving. Can anyone tell me how that stacks up against muscle milk though? I wouldn't mind making a switch to the other if Muscle Milk is better overall. Cost isn't really an issue for me because I've got a hookup at the Vitamin Shoppe :D

Yea it does taste pretty damn good, couple of my friends use it. I use Optimum Nutrition whey protein, doesn't taste bad at all and only has 110 calories per serving. Can anyone tell me how that stacks up against muscle milk though? I wouldn't mind making a switch to the other if Muscle Milk is better overall. Cost isn't really an issue for me because I've got a hookup at the Vitamin Shoppe :D
I use to take Myoplex Deluxe from EAS. That stuff is gold.:)

The GNC sections of most rite-aids stell the stuff for 20 bucks. It's a best kept secret. I've gotten my last few containers of muscle milk from rite aid.

How did it work for you? It worked and works extremely well for me. Drink it right before and after a workout and I feel great.

Rite-Aid eh? I'll have to visit the local one here soon. Good info. Thanks.

Well, you do realize it might hurt little fat, unmotivated Carter's (or insert current popular last name for first name here) self-esteem when someone is more motivated and works harder than him. Can't have that.

Archived