Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 year Anniversary of JKC's passing

drowland

From the TK article:

"There are millions of stories about how mean and ornery Jack Kent Cooke was. You can read them elsewhere. He may have been the roughest **** in the world to negotiate with. But one thing he never did was threaten to move the Redskins out of Washington, even when every Tom, Dick and Harry (and Sharon) slammed the door in his face when he tried to build a stadium in their town. It amazed me. Here you've got schmoes all over the country getting new stadiums for free, and here's Jack Kent Cooke willing to put up his own money — and people treated him like he was contagious. Yet for all the trouble he had finding a place to build, Jack never mentioned Memphis or Jacksonville or East Beesville. He wanted a stadium here. He loved this area maybe more than some people in this area deserved."

So true, so true!!!

The Modells and Irsays should take note!

I vividly remember where I was the moment I got the news.

To any longtime Redskins fan that moment was kinda like the "where were you when: 9/11 unfolded, or when you got the news of the JFK assasination" for our parents generation"

Yeah RIP. Gotta give props when they are due. The man was one of this country's first billionares, forced (so to speak) the NFL to make the rule that a franchise owner could not own another professional sports team franchise (he owned the Lakers and the Skins at the same time), hired the best and left them alone to do their jobs (for the most part), and most importantly played a major role in bringing 3 SB trophies to Washington.

Yeah, we were respected around the league under his watch.

R.I.P. JKC, I wonder what we would be like had his son taken over the team.

John Cooke did assume guardian-like control of the team for a couple of years until Snyder took over, didn't he? Granted he basically just sat in the owner's box and let the team meander under it's own power.

On a tangent, how different would this team be if Howard Milstein had gained majority ownership? At first Snyder was only slated to be a minority owner until Milstein was rejected by the NFL owners. And some will remember that Milstein went on to run the NHL NY Islanders fully and completely into the ground. The Islanders' "rock bottom" was way lower than the Redskins' "rock-bottom" ever was, IMO.

R.I.P. JKC, I wonder what we would be like had his son taken over the team.

A better question would be: I wonder what we would be like if JKC had a son who didn't want to spend his life wearing pink pants and sipping fruit drinks in the Bahamas?

Man, at that time who knew where the team would be now? RIP Mr. Cooke. You have been missed. More than you could have possibly known.

Ya know, I had to reply to this. I can remember thinking, back then, how sorry I felt for those fans who were happy just to have their teams in the playoffs. How we would laugh at teams on the schedule and say "I know that's a win." Most importantly, I can remember thinking we'll never be a laughing stock, we'll always be considered one of the best and any "bad years" would far and few between.

Man, at that time who knew where the team would be now? RIP Mr. Cooke. You have been missed. More than you could have possibly known.

From the link in the first post of this thread:

Cooke's Legacy: Redskins' Stable Future

Cooke's death comes soon after he took steps to ensure the stability of the Redskins by signing Coach Norv Turner and General Manager Charley Casserly to contract extensions. So there's little reason to believe the transition to John Kent Cooke will be anything but seamless.

:rolleyes:

I remember the day it happened. My choir had a church program that afternoon and, when I got home, my mom left me a message, asking me if I'd heard about Jack Kent Cooke. I knew he was sick, but I have to admit I was stunned it happened. While I vehemently disagreed with his decision to pass on Bobby Mitchell for the general manager position, he did a LOT for this organization and made it relevant again after decades of losing. He's definitely missed.

Ya know, I had to reply to this. I can remember thinking, back then, how sorry I felt for those fans who were happy just to have their teams in the playoffs. How we would laugh at teams on the schedule and say "I know that's a win." Most importantly, I can remember thinking we'll never be a laughing stock, we'll always be considered one of the best and any "bad years" would far and few between.

I thought the same thing. Man, how wrong were we?

From the link in the first post of this thread:

Cooke's Legacy: Redskins' Stable Future

Cooke's death comes soon after he took steps to ensure the stability of the Redskins by signing Coach Norv Turner and General Manager Charley Casserly to contract extensions. So there's little reason to believe the transition to John Kent Cooke will be anything but seamless.

:rolleyes:

Key words: 'Stable' and 'seamless'. Does not say 'smart' or 'good' :)

I remember that weekend well. Tiger was gunning for his first Green Jacket at the Masters and we were all discussing the passing on the TSN board in between draft speculation. There was nobody like "The Squire".

Archived