Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 year Anniversary of JKC's passing

drowland

Anyone else notice there is absolutely NO mention of this on Redskins.com. I'm not a Snyder-basher by any means, but it truly disturbs me how little respect he has for Cooke and all he did for our team. For a guy who claims to be a fan first, I find the lack of recognition for JKC's achievements quite disturbing.

Anyone else notice there is absolutely NO mention of this on Redskins.com. I'm not a Snyder-basher by any means, but it truly disturbs me how little respect he has for Cooke and all he did for our team. For a guy who claims to be a fan first, I find the lack of recognition for JKC's achievements quite disturbing.

It surprises me and then again, not really.

Seems par for the course for this FO.

Yeah, and how some don't know exactly how bad we really are right now. I know you know that this is a nightmare.

Yeah...back in the day I would plan my entire schedule around Redskins games. It was an event, and every person in town would spend all day Monday discussing the previous day's game, win or lose. Now I find myself not making it a point to watch these games. If I'm home, I'll watch. Oh well, I guess some people would call that growth...

What was the deal with Mr. Cooke putting the team up for the highest bidder after his death? why didnt he will the team to a capable person? Dont get me wrong I am glad we had him as a owner, but his lack of plan after his death for the team, is the reason we are such a bad team now!

What was the deal with Mr. Cooke putting the team up for the highest bidder after his death? why didnt he will the team to a capable person? Dont get me wrong I am glad we had him as a owner, but his lack of plan after his death for the team, is the reason we are such a bad team now!

Yeah I never understood that either. Even in one of the articles linked he is quoted as saying that the team will stay in the Cooke family for generations.

He must be rolling over in his grave, the man knew how to run a sports franchise. Snyder does not have a clue

Yeah, let's see. JKC was a billionaire who was involved on a daily basis with the running of the team -- offering his opinion on players and coaches, sitting in on practices -- negotiated deals, and wrote checks for players his football people said they wanted. Sounds a lot like Snyder. There are obvious differences, but the primary one is one of style: JKC was old & strangely regal (and Canadian!) -- The Squire. Snyder is young, brash, and basically unsympathetic. They run the teams in similar ways. I shudder to think what would have happened if either John Cooke or Howard Milstein ran the team.

He must be rolling over in his grave, the man knew how to run a sports franchise. Snyder does not have a clue

Yeah, let's see. JKC was a billionaire who was involved on a daily basis with the running of the team -- offering his opinion on players and coaches, sitting in on practices -- negotiated deals, and wrote checks for players his football people said they wanted. Sounds a lot like Snyder. There are obvious differences, but the primary one is one of style: JKC was old & strangely regal (and Canadian!) -- The Squire. Snyder is young, brash, and basically unsympathetic. They run the teams in similar ways. I shudder to think what would have happened if either John Cooke or Howard Milstein ran the team.

I have to disagree with this statement. Cooke let Beathard, Casserly, Gibbs, etc run the team. He gave his input, but I don't think he orchestrated trades or had a major impact on the final roster. Snyder actually fired a coach because he thought the coach had too much power.

Additionally, Cooke earned his respect throughout decades of business successes. Snyder thinks he deserves to be respected and thinks he can gain it through fear.

I sure wish I could have met him during the time he was alive, I would have been 9 at the time, but I would have never forgot about meeting him.

He was a great owner for us, he sure is missed, but im sure hes up there somewhere watching his team.

RIP Cooke

He wanted to provide money for underprivileged children to get a better education. In a sense, he wanted to right some of the wrongs by George Preston Marshall, whose will was I believe crafted to provide scholarships almost exclusively to WHITE students.

Also, JKC did NOT run the team on a daily basis, and his only actions are far as player personnel goes was to act as the tiebreaker between Beathard and Gibbs. He was NOT just like Snyder, though, like the Danny, he would spend whatever it took to win. The big difference was Cooke would hire the BEST people to run the Skins for him. Cerrato et al is no substitute for Beathard in his prime. Granted, Cooke stuck with Norvo the Clown and Asserly for too long, but by then he was ill and just pushing to get his stadium built before he passed.

In the 8 years Snyder has owned the team: 59 wins.

The 8 years prior to Snyder: 59 wins.

I love JKC and would much rather hang out with him in his day than Snyder now, but he was often the tiebreaker between Gibbs and Beathard/Casserly. I don't know if he "orchestrated" trades, but he was heavily involved. Also, during much of his ownership, free agency didn't really exist as it has for the past 10+ years, so we don't know how he would have approached that.

Snyder fired Schottenheimer b/c Schottenheimer wouldn't give up his GM duties -- not an unusual circumstance. Schottenheimer just got fired after having some rather large success, so it's silly to single out Snyder (although I too didn't think he should have fired Schottenheimer).

Finally, Snyder has been in business for decades, but has achieved successes that JKC likely would have held in awe. As a businessman, he has clearly earned respect by making lots of money and, perhaps, taking advantage of the fact that he is often underestimated. That doesn't earn him respect in the sports world -- nor should it -- but he's likely earned respect in the business and marketing world.

Another stupid typo -- I meant to say Saynder has NOT been in business for decades. He achieved success very quickly and did not do so at the teet of rich parents; he did it w/pure moxey. I don't know if one respects or shuns that, but he created his own wealth.

In the 8 years Snyder has owned the team: 59 wins.

The 8 years prior to Snyder: 59 wins.

I love JKC and would much rather hang out with him in his day than Snyder now, but he was often the tiebreaker between Gibbs and Beathard/Casserly. I don't know if he "orchestrated" trades, but he was heavily involved. Also, during much of his ownership, free agency didn't really exist as it has for the past 10+ years, so we don't know how he would have approached that.

Snyder fired Schottenheimer b/c Schottenheimer wouldn't give up his GM duties -- not an unusual circumstance. Schottenheimer just got fired after having some rather large success, so it's silly to single out Snyder (although I too didn't think he should have fired Schottenheimer).

Finally, Snyder has been in business for decades, but has achieved successes that JKC likely would have held in awe. As a businessman, he has clearly earned respect by making lots of money and, perhaps, taking advantage of the fact that he is often underestimated. That doesn't earn him respect in the sports world -- nor should it -- but he's likely earned respect in the business and marketing world.

Sure, I'm sure he is respected in the business and marketing world. When I get a chance to hit some business and marketing message boards, I'll get back to you. But for now, since we're on the Redskins message boards, I'll stick with the sports stuff.

Snyder has turned this 'team' into a 'marketing machine'. He has made them the laughingstock of the league. And the only good move he has made since buying the team is hiring the same coach that Cooke hired 27 years ago. I was proud to be a Skins fan back in the day. Now, its starting to become a bit of an embarrassment.

Bull....JKC let the GM and coach run the team. He may have been tie breaker if the gm and coach didn't agree on a personnel move, but the best thing about JKC was that he knew what he didn't know!!!! Synder thought from day 1 he could be successful running a team without a GM and it has set this franchise back, way way back.

"Yes, I am the owner of the Washington Redskins," Mr. Cooke recently told WJLA-TV sports anchor Rene Knott. "But more important, I am the trustee for the best bloody fans on the face of the earth. I have no right, morally or legally, in my opinion, to move the franchise. Charging those great fans a PSL is something that I just won't do. It never crossed my mind. Not even once."

"Yes, I am the owner of the Washington Redskins," Mr. Cooke recently told WJLA-TV sports anchor Rene Knott. "But more important, I am the trustee for the best bloody fans on the face of the earth. I have no right, morally or legally, in my opinion, to move the franchise. Charging those great fans a PSL is something that I just won't do. It never crossed my mind. Not even once."

I'm sure that will be Danny's attitude when he builds his own stadium.:laugh:

I don't think it's fair to look at JKC's legacy of 22 years as majority owner then compare him to Snyder's eight years. Ownership of a team usually takes a little longer to get a feel for things unless a new owner is stepping into a team that's already winning, but that's rare. Biscotti and the Ravens is the only exception I can think of. He already had a good GM, FO and team in place.

JKC had his learning period too. Not long after becoming majority owner, he fires George Allen, who never had a losing season and got the team to the playoffs in his first year in 1971, and Superbowl in his second. Not bad for a team that had losing seasons for 14 out of 15 prior to George Allen. - Kind of a Tampa- Dungy move.

Word was Cooke had a hard time letting Bethard completely run things at first too when Pardee was still here. When he let him do his thing, the rewards began to appear.

Cooke was a good man. When you hear his story of the road he traveled, then hear Snyder's, you can see many similarities.

...p.s. - As mentioned already, I think we should all be grateful Milstien didn't buy our team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/gibbs/articles/jg91feat.htm

Cooke, Gibbs Forge Friendship, Winning Ways

One is a self-made billionaire who owns real estate, newspapers, television properties and race horses. He's a voracious reader, antique collector, wine connoisseur and owner of a stable of Tennessee Walking horses. He's tough and demanding, both of himself and those around him.

The other is a football coach who admits to not reading much besides the Bible and the sports page, isn't much for movies or the theatre and might not know Oliver North from Oliver Stone. He has written a book that details his failures in business and fulfilled a dream this year by putting together a NASCAR auto racing team.

Theirs is a friendship that no one could have predicted. Joe Gibbs still remembers the jitters he had more than a decade ago when former Washington Redskins general manager Bobby Beathard ushered him into a hotel room to meet team owner Jack Kent Cooke. He remembers Cooke asking his new coach something about reading habits and Gibbs stammering a reply about not having good ones.

-------------------------------------------------

Click link for rest of story.

Archived