Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Rumor) Skins interested in Quinn and CJ???

RWJ

All I want for christmas is Cal-vin John-son.

Cal-vin John-son

Cal-vin John-son!

I am sure they want him too. He just makes too much sense. It moves Moss to second WR where he can do on more deep routes. And it will keep him healthy. Something he was not last year.

And it will free up Lloyd has third WR. Then we could use Randel El on kickoffs and punt returns.

the redskins will do something that is unpopular on this board, and i will like it.. there are playing their cards.. maybe they know cj will fall and trade offers would increase in value

Thy are not trading the freaking pick if CJ is there. Get that out of your head.:silly:

This team is interested in quality plaers. Not just getting a bunch of them.

If you heard Gibbs speak you would hear him say they want the best avalible player. Something they did not do in the Rogers draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 picks ahead of us are all offense and we get our pick of the defensive players out there. Either that, or one of these blokes will fall to us between: Russell, Thomas, Peterson, Johnson, Quinn... I would say that if we don't know everything possible about each of these guys, then what is Vinny and the scouting department doing with themselves? This could be a smoke screen, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Snyder didn't go down to Georgia to evaluate for himself just how many Redskin's jerseys CJ could sell? Everyone expects the Redskins to smoke screen, because everyone knows that we have weaknesses that can be filled in the first round. Everyone knows we want additional picks. However, we can't just threaten deception. If the time comes, and we've convinced the league that we're going to take CJ if he falls to us... Then I hope we take him, because you can't 'cry wolf' everytime, especially when everyone believes you want to trade down. Unless we get some sort of Herschel Walker deal, then let's just make people wish they had dealt with us. The same thing should be said for Gaines Adams.

If you heard Gibbs speak you would hear him say they want the best avalible player. Something they did not do in the Rogers draft.

Nope they didn't take the best available in the Rogers draft. Why didn't they? Because they had a real need at CB and we couldn't resign Smoot.

Now, we have a real need along the DL and have to have someone to put there to pressure the passer and stop the run. What makes you think that they'll go BPA when they have a real need and have proven in the past that they'll draft for need first?

Assuming they'll go BPA at #6 is assuming a lot, IMO. Rogers proved they'll draft at a position when better players are sitting there.

As I've said the last few weeks, we'd be idiots not to take CJ if he was available UNLESS we trade down for more picks. As far as Quinn I can't see why we'd choose him but that's why I'm a fan and not a scout/GM. "CJ is the closest thing to a sure thing in a draft as it gets...." I don't remember who said it, although I'm sure many believe that, but I can see why we sent the whole crew to see CJ work out. If he's there at 6, which he won't be:laugh:, we'll....:whoknows:

HTTR

Is it possible that the Redskins may be considering CJ because they think that Lloyd may not work out? I'm all for giving Lloyd another shot, but maybe the organization does not have faith in him. Personally, I'd rather us draft defense regardless. We need someone along the DL desperately. I don't think we can ignore this need any longer than we have.

Nope they didn't take the best available in the Rogers draft. Why didn't they? Because they had a real need at CB and we couldn't resign Smoot.

Now, we have a real need along the DL and have to have someone to put there to pressure the passer and stop the run. What makes you think that they'll go BPA when they have a real need and have proven in the past that they'll draft for need first?

Assuming they'll go BPA at #6 is assuming a lot, IMO. Rogers proved they'll draft at a position when better players are sitting there.

IMO, the real problem there occurs well before the draft. The year Smoot left, the team didn't even seem to cast an eye towards available replacements. Nor did we look at what I thought was a pretty interesting group of 2nd/3rd tier FA LBs last year. In both cases, we seemed to decide weeks (if not months) before the draft that we would take players at those positions. This kind of thinking just boxes the team in on draft day and causes us to overdraft. Or overpay to move up.

Quinn I doubt. But this draft maybe they are into picking the best player available. When we took Carlos Rodgers out of need I don't recall any of the draft so called experts picking him before hand as a future stud CB, seemed the consensus was he is likely going to be a solid CB. On the other hand Ware and Merriman weren't hyped to be the players they are now, but I recall them definitely hyped larger than Rodgers.

Some of our best picks of late where of players that where very hyped for their positions: Lavar Arrington (yeah he had some down times but was a pro bowler), Chris Samuels, Shaun Taylor, and Champ Bailey.

For the 2 targeted spots going for need there are some scouts that are high on Okoye, Branch, Anderson, Adams but few if any are saying they are can't miss studs.

Really the only players getting that type of accolades seem to be Johnson at WR, Russell at QB (though he has a critic or two), Joe Thomas at OL (he has an odd critic or two) and Landry at S.

Quinn I doubt. But this draft maybe they are into picking the best player available. When we took Carlos Rodgers out of need I don't recall any of the draft so called experts picking him before hand as a future stud CB, seemed the consensus was he is likely going to be a solid CB. On the other hand Ware and Merriman weren't hyped to be the players they are now, but I recall them definitely hyped larger than Rodgers.

Some of our best picks of late where of players that where very hyped for their positions: Lavar Arrington (yeah he had some down times but was a pro bowler), Chris Samuels, Shaun Taylor, and Champ Bailey.

For the 2 targeted spots going for need there are some scouts that are high on Okoye, Branch, Anderson, Adams but few if any are saying they are can't miss studs.

Really the only players getting that type of accolades seem to be Johnson at WR, Russell at QB (though he has a critic or two), Joe Thomas at OL (he has an odd critic or two) and Landry at S.

Rogers was voted the best CB in the country coming out of college and we drafted him. He has yet to live up to it. Sometimes players take longer to develop in the NFL. He window is yet very narrow due to his time in the NFL. To me, if he is going to be a good CB, this is his breakout year.

It's a combination of being prepared and playing poker. The Skins need to check out all the players. They also need to send smoke signals to confuse other teams behind our #6 pick. Teams are not going to trade up if they know the Skins are not going to pick "their" guy. You ESPECIALLY send The Snyder and Gibbs to show great interest for players you want to create demand for. And you send position coaches or hold private meetings with guys you are interested in but want to shield your interest from other teams.

Don't believe much of anything you read from now until the draft. It's one big poker match with 32 teams playing the same game and trying to out guess each other.

There ya go, exactly....

Quinn has a decent chance to fall to 6. What if the Skins come out and say, "There is NO way on earth we're taking Quinn. He stinks!"

The Skins have just devalued their pick by some degree. They have to seem extremely interested in whoever could fall to 6 in order to keep up the price of a trade.

One good thing about Snyder's reputation is that other teams will believe just about anything attributed to him or his organization.

Rogers was voted the best CB in the country coming out of college and we drafted him. He has yet to live up to it. Sometimes players take longer to develop in the NFL. He window is yet very narrow due to his time in the NFL. To me, if he is going to be a good CB, this is his breakout year.

Rogers played well his first year (for a rookie) - His second year he was thrown to the wolves being matched up with number 1 WR's with Springs being out most of the time and without the luxury of a defensive line. Champ Bailey would have struggled too.

The year we took Rogers, many, many people here were crying because we passed on the "can't miss" Mike Williams.

The only reason we are looking at Quinn or Russell is to trick the other teams into believing that we may take one of them. This will give better trade options for trading down if one of them falls to us. It could be the same with CJ but I think we would just take him if he drops.

I have already said this on another thread, but you scout all the top players at each position and definitely the top players in the draft in order to compile data for when they become available as free agents or via trade etc. Our team would be remiss if they didn't scout Russell and Quinn. I would be very intrigued if CJ was there at #6, but it is highly unlikely with Tampa at #4. We are covering all our basis by scouting the QB's. If CJ were to drop I could see the skins taking him; he is considered the number one athelete in the draft. In that case we would need to trade for a Charles Grant type player to sure up the D line. The skins are doing their due diligence by scouting all the top prospects.

The time to deliver is now for Gibbs, and his coaching staff. They need to get the best talent on the board when we pick.

If it's Quinn - great! If it's Calvin - even better.

The best defense is a great offense!

Ask Indy how they won so many games with a mediocre defense. Offensive firepower - the ability to score freely, and tire the other teams defenses.

Archived