Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

detriot free press- LIONS (JLC:& BRONCOS) INTERESTED IN SPRINGS

twenty-eight

The Lions have shown interest Washington cornerback Shawn Springs, who could be traded or released.

thats pretty much all they have to say regarding Springs

They are also bringing in Duckett today....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/SPORTS01/703030338/1049/SPORTS

I know Gibbs said he wants Springs back but it sounds like Shawn wont restructure. It really wouldn't be surprising if he isn't a redskin after June first. Have we scheduled any other CB visits?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/reds...n.html#comments

Once it was clear Bly was going to Denver, the Redskins tried to work out a swap with them, but according to a source, the Redskins asked for cap help deferring the costs of trading Springs ($7.5 million) and Denver refuses (the Broncos did not have a ton of space, either).

Springs, meantime, has ties to the staffs of both Denver and Detroit, and has said he will not take a pay cut to remain a Redskin this season (he is due to make $6.8 million and carries a high $7.3 million cap figure, which the Redskins have been eager to trim). The team approached Springs about taking a salary cut to remain here earlier this offseason, and he refused; his cap figures are huge each of the next three seasons and some team officials have expressed concerns about his age and injury history.

Sources close to Springs say he remains unsure about his status with the Redskins despite Coach Joe Gibbs saying repeated that he is "counting on Springs" for next season. Denver Coach Mike Shanahan is a big proponent of Springs's play, according to a source, and the Broncos and Redskins have completed trades in each of the past three years and are among the most aggressive teams in the NFL when it comes to swapping players.

A trade after June 1 would cost the Redskins just $2.5 million in a cap hit on Springs (with $5 million coming in 2008). Springs is also considering approaching the Redskins about possibility relinquishing several million dollars in deferred payments still owed him in order to facilitate his possible trade or release.

If/When we sign another CB it will look more definite that springs wont be a redskin next season....obviously:)

Travis Fisher is a nickel corner at best and a starting duo of Rogers and Smoot would be a catastrophe. I for one hope Springs will be back.

Travis Fisher is a nickel corner at best and a starting duo of Rogers and Smoot would be a catastrophe. I for one hope Springs will be back.

Rogers and Smoot would be acceptable if we could get Detroit's very high 2nd round pick for Springs. Then we could get a DT in the 1st and a DE in the 2nd.

This is really starting to piss me off.Now i could have told you guys about this yesterday,but for some reason i have the NNTs next to my avatar.I live in Michigan about a hour away from Detroit and yes the Lions are interested in Springs.Now i for one hope that we keep Springs.I know everyone including myself is happy about Smoot.With that being said i will not be happy with Smoot and Rogers as our CBs.I think we need to keep Springs.I mean Springs,Smoot and Rogers sounds so much better.

thats pretty much all they have to say regarding Springs

They are also bringing in Duckett today....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/SPORTS01/703030338/1049/SPORTS

I know Gibbs said he wants Springs back but it sounds like Shawn wont restructure. It really wouldn't be surprising if he isn't a redskin after June first. Have we scheduled any other CB visits?

There is no reason for Springs not to re-structure.

Springs said he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Re-structuring and taking a pay cut are 2 different things.

Re-structuring means they just re-work the conract so its back loaded again and they can save money on the cap this year.

For Springs, it means getting another cash signing bonus than can be spread out over the new deal.

Springs is expected to count for over $7 million in cap space this year. I'm sure the Redskins want something done.

The question is, are the Redskins asking Springs to take a pay cut or just to re-structure?

That I don't know.

As of right now, he couldn't be traded to the Lions b/c he would count too much against the Redskins' cap.

Can't hurt to ask for the moon. If they'd trade their one or two I'd think about it. Otherwise, I want to keep him. Funny, all those articles about teams wanting players we want who are under contract. Isn't that tampering? Isn't that interfering with our renegotiations?

Rogers and Smoot would be acceptable if we could get Detroit's very high 2nd round pick for Springs. Then we could get a DT in the 1st and a DE in the 2nd.
Regardless of bolstering the DL in this fashion, without bringing in another good CB, the Skins would be trouble. They would probably need to take a CB with one of the 2 picks.
There's no way we'd get a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old corner who's always injured.

Have you seen what shutdown CB's get these days? There are few around and are in high demand. A second round pick is not out of the question. The only issue is the cap hit.

I hope we can get a 3rd rounder for him, it'd obviously be a high 3rd rounder, a 2nd rounder would be better. Obviously his contract is an issue, if we want a draft pick, we'd want to use it in 2007, but if we cut Springs his cap hit will be too much.

Regardless of bolstering the DL in this fashion, without bringing in another good CB, the Skins would be trouble. They would probably need to take a CB with one of the 2 picks.

Have you seen what shutdown CB's get these days? There are few around and are in high demand. A second round pick is not out of the question. The only issue is the cap hit.

I'd rather him stay if possible, but you're right, look at the market for CB's now - a second for Springs seems entirely reasonable. I think two picks could be had as well if trading him is a possibility.

well I don't want a guy back here who is always injured and refuses to take a paycut. If you are injured and don't play...why should you keep getting starter money? stupid to me.

Archived