Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

detriot free press- LIONS (JLC:& BRONCOS) INTERESTED IN SPRINGS

twenty-eight

you guys are crazy. we could go into the season with Rogers, Springs, and Smoot. that's one hell of a strength where there was once a weakness. you really want to trade Springs and go into the season with just Smoot and Rogers at CB? that scares me personally. what scares me even more is the nickel CB we'd sign from free agency guranteed to be another Kenny Wright. :paranoid:

Duckett's an UFA... I believe. We should've signed him after we traded for him.

He wasn't going to sign, knowing that he could maximize his potiental on the market.

I bet Detroit signs Duckett, then trades him to us for Springs. LOL!

Just Kidding, but TJ would really be pissed to land here again.

You guys have to be kidding me. You're legitimately comfortable going into the season with Rogers and Smoot as our starting CB tandem? You're nuts. Seriously.

With the way the market's set with the Clements deal, $7 mil against the cap for Springs isn't a bad deal. If we had a full array of draft picks or the market was deeper in CBs, sure, deal him. But we don't and it's not...so trading him would essentially be giving up on the defense for next season.

There is no way I want Springs gone. Yes, he's injury prone, but we have no choice but to keep him. Hopefully he can play like he did his first season here. Unless you strike gold, a 4th round pick is pretty worthless and will probably just yield a special teams player. Springs > Special Teams Player. I wouldn't except anything less than a 3rd. Actually, I wouldn't accept anything less than a 2nd for him.

you guys are crazy. we could go into the season with Rogers, Springs, and Smoot. that's one hell of a strength where there was once a weakness. you really want to trade Springs and go into the season with just Smoot and Rogers at CB? that scares me personally. what scares me even more is the nickel CB we'd sign from free agency guranteed to be another Kenny Wright. :paranoid:

Smoot and Rogers is what the secondary will look like by Week 5 after Springs suffers a pulled hammy or groin. May as well get something for him . . .

I think I'm one of the few people who thinks paying him 7.5 mil this coming year is OK? If you look at what the market was this year for FA corners. I don't think that is too much past his market value. Plus keeping him this year means that next year, he will represent a huge potential cap savings if we cut....

I think I'm one of the few people who thinks paying him 7.5 mil this coming year is OK? If you look at what the market was this year for FA corners. I don't think that is too much past his market value. Plus keeping him this year means that next year, he will represent a huge potential cap savings if we cut....

I'm leaning towards your thoughts. Hell Clements deal avgerages 7mill a year on the front end :doh:

Springs for Shaun Rogers...lets do it.

That might be a legitimate trade offer. Detroit runs that Tampa 2 defense and they prefer to have small 285-290 pound pass rushing Defensive Tackles. Rogers is like 6'6 345 and a run stuffer. Don't know, but it sounds good on paper...

There is no reason for Springs not to re-structure.

Springs said he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Re-structuring and taking a pay cut are 2 different things.

Re-structuring means they just re-work the conract so its back loaded again and they can save money on the cap this year.

For Springs, it means getting another cash signing bonus than can be spread out over the new deal.

Springs is expected to count for over $7 million in cap space this year. I'm sure the Redskins want something done.

The question is, are the Redskins asking Springs to take a pay cut or just to re-structure?

That I don't know.

As of right now, he couldn't be traded to the Lions b/c he would count too much against the Redskins' cap.

Bingo,

He counts nearly identicle if we keep or trade him. The only way we save coin is to make him a June 1st cut in which we get nothing in return.

Keep him, for the love of god keep him, we need him, at least at this years rate. Trade him next year for picks and cap relief.

I am with you, with the deal NC just signed 7.5 is not bad for a CB of springs caliber, if healthy. It is a risk this team needs to take. Even if he is only in for 10 games that is 10 games our secondary can be stout which may be enough to get into the playoffs.

There is no way I want Springs gone. Yes, he's injury prone, but we have no choice but to keep him. Hopefully he can play like he did his first season here. Unless you strike gold, a 4th round pick is pretty worthless and will probably just yield a special teams player. Springs > Special Teams Player. I wouldn't except anything less than a 3rd. Actually, I wouldn't accept anything less than a 2nd for him.

Thank you for bringing logic to this thread. :applause:

I'd trade springs if we could get d.t./left d.e. cory redding AND be able to move up and nab left tackle joe thomas in the draft and move him to guard to replace dockery.

Not likely so keep springs and front office.............keep him happy!

At the present price for shutdown cb's I wouldn't accept anything less then a first for him.

That's assuming he's a shutdown corner. I wouldn't necessarily put Springs in that category.

I don't see any team giving us a 1st rounder for Springs. He could fetch a 3rd, or maybe a 2nd from a team that is really in need of a good CB that has multiple first day draft picks (rounds 1-3).

I think we should try to restructure the guy and then trade him for a DT or DE...I liked the Springs for Shaun Rogers deal myself...

Or maybe Springs for Igor Olhansky (DT) from San Diego...?

Cutting him would just be stupid,since I know for a fact we could net at the very MIN. 4th round pick for him...

There is no reason for Springs not to re-structure.

Springs said he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Re-structuring and taking a pay cut are 2 different things.

Re-structuring means they just re-work the conract so its back loaded again and they can save money on the cap this year.

For Springs, it means getting another cash signing bonus than can be spread out over the new deal.

Springs is expected to count for over $7 million in cap space this year. I'm sure the Redskins want something done.

The question is, are the Redskins asking Springs to take a pay cut or just to re-structure?

That I don't know.

As of right now, he couldn't be traded to the Lions b/c he would count too much against the Redskins' cap.

Excellent point.

The only reason I'm nervous is that we've been talking to him about this for almost a while now. We've had other players who have already restructured, What is springs waiting for?

We need all three of these guys, we cant go into another season thin at the CB position

That's assuming he's a shutdown corner. I wouldn't necessarily put Springs in that category.

I don't see any team giving us a 1st rounder for Springs. He could fetch a 3rd, or maybe a 2nd from a team that is really in need of a good CB that has multiple first day draft picks (rounds 1-3).

He has the potential for it and considering the alternatives in the draft and in FA, he is worth nothing less then a first.

Rogers and Smoot would be acceptable if we could get Detroit's very high 2nd round pick for Springs. Then we could get a DT in the 1st and a DE in the 2nd.

But if we trade Springs to Detroit and get a 2nd round pick, that will basically force us to get a CB with that pick.

Archived